Three weeks in and I already fell off the wagon

Options
psibaby
psibaby Posts: 88 Member
Hi everyone,
Can you share what keeps you going when cravings are calling your name? I am only three weeks into counting calories. I have lost 8.2 pounds total, but the problem is the first week I lost 7.6 and the second week I lost .6. After all of this hard work and trying to eat close to or under calories I couldn't believe I only lost .6 pounds. That low number sent me into a tailspin. I snacked all night and all day today. I am done eating for today (7:20pm my time) and I want to get back on track tomorrow.

I thought I had this. I thought I was doing so well and this was going to work and I just lost it. Please share what you do when you have an off day to get back on track.
Thanks!

Replies

• Dylstep
    Dylstep Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'd just try to space out what you do eat more over your day. Eat quite a lot but with a large gap inbetween each meal but make sure you monitor the calories you're taking in. That's what I've been doing anyway :)
  • jrkuhler
    jrkuhler Posts: 2
    Options
    Are you working out at all too? Your muscle weighs a lot more than fat so if you're gaining muscle that could make it seem like you're not really losing. Try to take measurements of your waist, hips, thighs, arms, etc, and try not to let the scale bring you down! If you are sticking with your goal, you will be healthier and lose weight. Also, I try to only measure myself maybe once a month..good luck!!
  • selfepidemic1
    selfepidemic1 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    What are you craving?
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    If you lost 7.6 lbs in the first week, you probably restricted too much, and that's why the cravings. Follow this advice... Down-Arrow.png And eat sensibly, with a reasonable deficit.
  • jwooley13
    jwooley13 Posts: 243
    Options
    I have a list of things that I like to do when I'm feeling snacky. First, I'll almost always make a pot of tea. Slowly sipping something warm gives me something to do and a lot of times can satisfy my cravings completely. If I'm still antsy or stressed, I'll pick up a piece of knitting. Having something to focus on and do with my hands makes it physically impossible to reach for the popcorn bowl. Third, if the weather's nice, I'll pop in a piece of gum and take the dog for a walk. It gets rid of nervous energy and makes me feel generally refreshed!

Those strategies are certainly not the only options. Find out why you're snacking and find another outlet for those feelings without depriving yourself!
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    You need to understand after a big weight loss, your body needs to readjust and a small weight loss isnt bad. Give it at least one month. As far as snacks, you can eat whatever you like, just work it into your calories and macros. You need to see what your TDEE and BMR is and make a 20% deficet from that and you will certainly lose.
  • Frank_Just_Frank
    Frank_Just_Frank Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    The body does this sometimes. For a few months I was gaining and losing the same 5 pounds over and over again....then I dropped 30 pounds....then I gained 10 back and I'm stuck there again...Just keep focusing on being active and eating healthy food at a calorie deficit, the rest is patience. good luck!
  • Singularity84
    Singularity84 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    If I'm really craving something, I eat it, I just try to watch my portion size (only eat one brownie instead of an entire pan of brownies) and then work the rest of my days calories around that indulgence.

Otherwise, I just end up eating all day, and never quite get satisfied. For me at least, it's better to just give in and let myself have what I want in small doses.
  • gmove
    gmove Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    It is difficult to offer any good advice without access to your food diary.

1) You could have starved yourself during the first week
    2) You could be starving yourself now
    3) You may be eating to many empty calories
    4) You may not be eating enough calories

Really the possibilities are numerous.
  • enoliaa
    enoliaa Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Enjoy it!
    Just go with the flow, resisting is not good...Start over again, next day. Plan cheating every week (with moderation) and you will be fine...Sometimes, lack of sleep or stress causes cravings but some other time, it just happens, take it in and get over it next day but don't give up.
  • lindanewland37
    lindanewland37 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    It's pretty common to lose a bunch the first week - I have learned not to be alarmed when I don't lose what I think I should. Sometimes I lose little or nothing for a week or even a couple of weeks and then I'll have a big loss. I just keep plugging away and working my plan knowing that the weight loss will show up. Because of diabetes and heart disease I have to stick with these changes in my lifestyle and I know the weight will come off - but I don't expect it to come off by next Tuesday - LOL. It's taken me a year to lose 57 pounds and I expect it to take another year and a half or longer to lose the rest. I quit weighing myself weekly because it was stressing me out when I had no loss or a small loss - so now I am only weighing every few weeks and I don't feel as much (self applied) pressure. As far as the cravings, I was a huge fast food junkie and just had to gut it out - wish I had some great tips for you on that. Distraction does help sometimes though - if you are having bad cravings, find something to keep busy with for a little while to take your head away from the cravings. Hang in there - don't let one week make you throw in the towel. I do read a lot on the message boards for motivation, encouragement, enlightenments and even some entertainment although I don't post much. Best of luck to you for success in the future.
  • Eastmont87
    Options
    The trick for me is to eat something unhealthy if I want to - I just fit it in to my mealplan.
    But of course, the less calories you got to eat in a day, the harder it gets to fit in two cookies or whatever.
    But as someone said, it's mostly about portion size. Just allow yourself to eat "unhealthy" stuff too, but not too much at one time.
  • GiveItAll92
    GiveItAll92 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    If I'm really craving something, I eat it, I just try to watch my portion size (only eat one brownie instead of an entire pan of brownies) and then work the rest of my days calories around that indulgence.

Otherwise, I just end up eating all day, and never quite get satisfied. For me at least, it's better to just give in and let myself have what I want in small doses.

^ I do this exact same thing otherwise I will crave it for days and eat a bunch of unnecessary stuff
  • psibaby
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas and the possible reasons. It was emotional eating. In my mind, I know 8 pounds in two weeks is an accomplishment, but for some reason I just got bummed out at the scale and resorted to old habits. Thanks for offering your personal ups and downs with the scale.

I also like the idea of getting a cup of tea or talking a walk, those are concrete strategies that I can add to my tool-belt. So far I have properly planned for cravings and snacks, I don't deny myself anything, I work it in, but this was different, this was giving in to emotional eating.

I plan on getting back on track tomorrow.
    You all are awesome!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    There is no wagon! Eat "healthy" (whatever that means to you) 80% of the time. Fit yummy, portion-controlled treats into your calorie goal. Deprivation can lead to bingeing.

A healthy loss is .5–2 lb. per week. Weight loss is not linear. Some weeks you'll lose a little, some weeks you'll lose a lot, some weeks you'll maintain, and some weeks you might even gain. Don't panic! All that matters is a downward trend.

Take photos & measurements, and read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • LVCeltGirl
    LVCeltGirl Posts: 473
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    Can you share what keeps you going when cravings are calling your name? I am only three weeks into counting calories. I have lost 8.2 pounds total, but the problem is the first week I lost 7.6 and the second week I lost .6. After all of this hard work and trying to eat close to or under calories I couldn't believe I only lost .6 pounds. That low number sent me into a tailspin. I snacked all night and all day today. I am done eating for today (7:20pm my time) and I want to get back on track tomorrow.

I thought I had this. I thought I was doing so well and this was going to work and I just lost it. Please share what you do when you have an off day to get back on track.
    Thanks!

I have a glass of water nearby for the cravings (drink the water before giving into the cravings and wait 20 minutes to determine if it's simply a craving, or a true need/desire). You're still new in this and haven't gotten to the point of acceptance that "Weight Loss isn't Linear" so one week you'll have this awesome weight loss, the next week a really small one and then possibly a week or two where you lose nothing, sometimes you'll have a gain (those threw me for a loop at first). This is normal, especially at the beginning of this lifestyle change. You're learning how to eat, how to allow for the times where you "fall off the wagon" (because honestly we all have a bad day, or if we're lucky just a bad meal) and how to keep this up for a lifetime, not just for the timeframe of a "diet".

Also such a large loss at the beginning is probably water weight. You really want to see weight loss at a pound or two per week. Anything more than that (after the initial week or two of rather large losses) could mean that you're losing too fast and won't keep it off. As with everything in life, there are exceptions to that rule (lose fast = gain back plus more).

I'm proof that logging everything (the good, the bad and the ugly) does work. It's been at a snail's pace except for recently due to gallbladder removal surgery (lack of appetite and inability to eat too much fat without consequences). You can do this.
  • CharleeCali
    CharleeCali Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing. I lost 10 pounds, then gained 4 back in ONE weekend!! I've lost the 4 back now, but I was so mad at myself. The old me would have given up, but this place keeps me motivated.

You can do this!
  • psibaby
    Options
    I quit weighing myself weekly because it was stressing me out when I had no loss or a small loss - so now I am only weighing every few weeks and I don't feel as much (self applied) pressure. As far as the cravings, I was a huge fast food junkie and just had to gut it out - wish I had some great tips for you on that. Distraction does help sometimes though - if you are having bad cravings, find something to keep busy with for a little while to take your head away from the cravings. Hang in there - don't let one week make you throw in the towel. I do read a lot on the message boards for motivation, encouragement, enlightenments and even some entertainment although I don't post much. Best of luck to you for success in the future.

That is exactly what is was, the pressure of weighing in. I was actually going to do the opposite and start weighing myself more than once a week with hopes that would keep me on track, but your idea is more appealing because it sounds less stressful to me.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Thanks!
    Your expectations are too high. Your aim should be to lose 1% of your body weight per week IF you're consistent. Throw consistency out the window and of course results go with them.
    Weight loss isn't linear and can be different week to week even if someone does the same exact regimen.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    just get back on ..some of us fall off in three hours so you are doing good