Can someone please tell me what I a doing wrong?

Options

Replies

• kuolo
    kuolo Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    As most other people said, you need to eat fewer calories if you're not losing weight.
    The next biggest thing is to weigh all your food rather than measuring, the differences can really add up.
    Try cooking more from scratch or eating simple whole foods, it is much easier to keep track of your calorie intake accurately if you have more control over what goes into your food.
    Good luck!
  • delcee_u
    delcee_u Posts: 1
    Options
    i don't know, but every time i complete my daily calorie goal, im always below my goal but when i'm eating, i feel like i'm eating too much no matter how little i take, even if its a slice of brad or a piece of beef or chicken, i feel like i'm over eating but i'm not and i'm so confused and i don't know what to do
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree on the empty calories. Empty calories are killer - especially in beverages! Even if you're eating out or eating frozen meals, you can find ways to make the most of those calories. You can get a 4 piece chicken nugget & a value fry at Wendy's for under 500 calories, & other fast food places have similar meals. I'm sure you could find ways of making the McDonald's breakfasts half what they are if you just made different choices - even just having the breakfast burrito, one hashbrown, & water instead of OJ would cut those calories in half.

I eat a lot of frozen meals & soups as my lunch for when I'm on campus and dinners on nights when I'm lazy [which is a lot], so I totally understand. But I try to buy frozen meals & soups that are under 300-400 calories. I buy frozen chicken nuggets & sweet potato fries, which for a serving of both together is under 400 calories also. & I almost always supplement these meals with a small plate of veggies, including sweet peppers, tomato wedges, green onions, sugar snap peas, etc. to make it a more filling and complete meal that is still usually around 500-600 calories.

In general, there are ways to keep eating what you like to eat once in awhile [like those McDonalds breakfasts] and being successful if you make a few small changes to better fit your goals.
  • leighqt
    leighqt Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    once in a while is the key, not a few times every day
  • Seeds45
    Seeds45 Posts: 90
    Options
    Looking at your diary and you aren't even entering the correct numbers- point in case, on McD's web site a medium OJ is 190 calories, NOT 95. You need to look at the website and check the calories, I'm guessing you are making many more mistakes. I pretty much go the exact opposite of you, I COOK 3-5 meals a day at home, eating out only 1-4 times a month. This does not make me better, just more concerned with what I eat and feed my family. Do you give this food to your children and husband? There has been so much fine advise to your questions and I don't want to repeat what has already been stated, but you must change what you are eating. You are teaching your children that this way of eating is the norm, is fine. Not true. It is not normal and it is not fine. Bad enough that they are more then likely eating the same crap at school, with the addition of some overcooked soggy green beans and they are having no real food. How about an orange, not juice? Pan cakes can be made ahead and frozen, toasted, spread with nut butter and eaten out of hand while waiting for the bus. The slow cooker can be your best friend. How cool is it to come home from work and the whole house smells of something wonderful, heat a can of peas, toss a salad and supper is served, total time? 10-20 minutes in the morning, or before bed if that works better, another 15 minutes when you get home, you wait that long in line and driving to fast food. And the cost??? I can't even image what you spend on fast foods.
    Please, don't think that any of us are judging you, well, maybe 1 or two. But most of us are concerned for the health of you AND your family. You asked and this is what you get. Take it in the way it is intended.
  • Mom2my3girls
    Mom2my3girls Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

I am the same height 5'9" and weight (I am 246 actually) and my daily calorie goal is 1630, that is with a sedentary life (desk job) and working out at least 3 times a week. Maybe your calorie goal is too high?
    [/quote]

I was wondering that also. I stay at home and have mine set the same as you. But when I tell it 1lb/week it gives me the higher goal. I did try the 1630 this week and it seemed to be better. Thank you for your positive advice!
  • ravenmiss
    ravenmiss Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    The answer is simple, you're not logging correctly and you're not eating at a deficit.

Fix those and you'll lose weight.
  • Mom2my3girls
    Options
    Thank you all for your words. I know not all of them were kind, but that is what I asked for and needed. It was a very strong reality check. My husband has been asking me the same thing when I say I am not loosing. The funny thing is that I needed to hear it from all of you to make it sink in.

Just to answer some of the questions though...

Do I not realize why I am not losing? Yeah I guess deep down I realize why I am not losing. I think I had the blinders on. I mean some of the days I barely went over my calories and in my head that meant I was fine. I know that wasnt the correct way to think. I also think I shouldnt be eating my calories burned back even if MFP says its okay.

Do I feed my children and husband this junk? Yep, and you know what? I wouldnt if they didnt push for it so much. My husband is a food addict and really needs this site (see profile picture). He is probably up another 20lbs from when that was taken. I have asked him to be on bored with me several times and he just isnt. He is addicted to pizza and junk food. I dont actually like either. Ive come to hate pizza too! My problem is that when I make an effort and cook healthy meals, they often get tossed in the trash and then he eats some kind of junk anyway. Now I know this is about me and not him but it is really hard to see money go to waste like that. At least I know they are eating when its fast food. Stupid mindset and I am going to work on it.

The big McDonalds breakfast yesterday was just stupid and I know it. The sandwich and extra hash brown were leftovers from my daughter. I was always taught not to throw food away as a child so I ended up eating hers. I know this train of thought is why I am obese. This is also the reason I dont make my kids clean their plates. I do not want to pass this lifestyle onto them.

I'm lucky because only one of my kids is old enough to see me struggle at this point. But, the others will see it sooner or later if I (and my husband) dont get it into check soon.

Again, I am very thankful for all the responses and am going to try to implement the advice. If any of you would like to friend me to keep me motivated that would be amazing. Thanks!

ETA: I forgot to mention that I do have a food scale and use it as much as possible. I was just under the impression (before this post) that I could measure using measuring cups and spoons. I know better now :)
  • Predat0r1502
    Predat0r1502 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    You're not spelling your topics correctly.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    I can guarantee you will lose weight by doing this:

-Unlimited low glycemic veggies
    -No more then 6oz of protein (chicken or fish)
    -No alcohol
    -No Sugar
    -No Artificial Sweetener
    -No Wheat (except 1/2 cup of brown rice per day)
    -No Dairy (except for 1 5.3oz plain yogurt per day)

The first 3 days will be a killer as your body detoxes, but after you will feel amazing and the pounds will literally fall off.

Looking at your dairy, your sodium intake is extreme... Sodium=water weight, so you will look and feel very bloated all the time.. stay away from the fast food & the sweet treats, its toxic to your body

This sounds horrible. What can you eat?
  • ceciliaruns
    ceciliaruns Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    As a mom of 3, your focus should be on your health as well as your childrens health. I have 4 children and I'm a marathoner, I can honestly say that I'd be way busier and poorer if I ate out at fast food resturants. I will occasionally eat a salad with chicken and nuts at Wendy's, but that's only in a pinch. It is worth making a commitment to only eating whole foods, your weight will drop off and you will be a good role model for your kids. Here's a good link and website on how to change your diet to whole foods.

http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/2013/12/30/video-read-ingredient-labels/
  • Mom2my3girls
    Options
    You're not spelling your topics correctly.

Would you like to elaborate? Also, I am not sure what this has to do with weigh loss?
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Weigh your food in grams, rather than voodoo.

Only eat back 50% of calories burned, since MFP overestimates.
  • Mom2my3girls
    Options
    As a mom of 3, your focus should be on your health as well as your childrens health. I have 4 children and I'm a marathoner, I can honestly say that I'd be way busier and poorer if I ate out at fast food resturants. I will occasionally eat a salad with chicken and nuts at Wendy's, but that's only in a pinch. It is worth making a commitment to only eating whole foods, your weight will drop off and you will be a good role model for your kids. Here's a good link and website on how to change your diet to whole foods.

http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/2013/12/30/video-read-ingredient-labels/

I'll look into that...thanks! I have often thought of "eating clean" but it is difficult to get my husband on board :(
  • jennifer8989
    jennifer8989 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm on the same boat :(
    I NEED HELP !!
    Please feel free to look at my diary and tell me what I am doing wrong !
    I started working out jan 10th 2014 we are now in April 2014 I have only lost 2 pounds !!
    I do see more muscle and have lost an over all total of
    8 -10 inches off my entire body but the weights just not coming off .
    I stay in my calorie range as much as possible . Between 1,200-1,300 sometimes a little over depending on my workouts .
    I work out 5 days a week doing mostly body weight exercises or weights through fitnessblender .com I might skip a day if I'm really sore or not feeling well .
    I do lack entering foods on weekends but I still keep an eye on what I'm eating .
    I eat fast food a lot since I'm out a lot but I eat in moderation for example I'll have a bottle of water a mcchicken no bread and no sauces just the chicken and lettuce only.
    I'm working on my water intake but overall water is the only thing I drink besides plain sugarless iced coffee or a pre workout.
    I am healthy no health issues but vitamin d deficiency which I have been taking vitamins for .

Any suggestions I'm willing to hear all your opinions anything could help .

Thanks in advance .:)
    Edited by jennifer8989 On April 3, 2014 4:51 PM
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your words. I know not all of them were kind, but that is what I asked for and needed. It was a very strong reality check. My husband has been asking me the same thing when I say I am not loosing. The funny thing is that I needed to hear it from all of you to make it sink in.

Just to answer some of the questions though...

Do I not realize why I am not losing? Yeah I guess deep down I realize why I am not losing. I think I had the blinders on. I mean some of the days I barely went over my calories and in my head that meant I was fine. I know that wasnt the correct way to think. I also think I shouldnt be eating my calories burned back even if MFP says its okay.

Do I feed my children and husband this junk? Yep, and you know what? I wouldnt if they didnt push for it so much. My husband is a food addict and really needs this site (see profile picture). He is probably up another 20lbs from when that was taken. I have asked him to be on bored with me several times and he just isnt. He is addicted to pizza and junk food. I dont actually like either. Ive come to hate pizza too! My problem is that when I make an effort and cook healthy meals, they often get tossed in the trash and then he eats some kind of junk anyway. Now I know this is about me and not him but it is really hard to see money go to waste like that. At least I know they are eating when its fast food. Stupid mindset and I am going to work on it.

The big McDonalds breakfast yesterday was just stupid and I know it. The sandwich and extra hash brown were leftovers from my daughter. I was always taught not to throw food away as a child so I ended up eating hers. I know this train of thought is why I am obese. This is also the reason I dont make my kids clean their plates. I do not want to pass this lifestyle onto them.

I'm lucky because only one of my kids is old enough to see me struggle at this point. But, the others will see it sooner or later if I (and my husband) dont get it into check soon.

Again, I am very thankful for all the responses and am going to try to implement the advice. If any of you would like to friend me to keep me motivated that would be amazing. Thanks!

ETA: I forgot to mention that I do have a food scale and use it as much as possible. I was just under the impression (before this post) that I could measure using measuring cups and spoons. I know better now :)

You really don't want to pass these eating habits onto your kids. It is your job as their mother to teach them that eating junk is ok in moderation but not every day. Do you want them to have the same struggles as you do? Going out to eat is a treat for a special occassion, not for a daily occassion. You know this deep down!!!
  • defauIt
    defauIt Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    When you get down to it, you're going to have to make a choice for yourself. Do you want to lose weight, or do you want to eat whatever you want and however much you want of it?

March 23rd is the perfect example. I accept that some days you will be going to McDonalds for lunch and going to Pizza Hut for dinner - I'm certainly no saint and I've done that myself. But just look at the food choices you made on that day.

For lunch you ate a double quarter pounder, a large fries, a large pop and you got some mcnuggets on top of that! That's as much food as you need to eat in a day - just for lunch! You could have turned that 1600 calorie feast into a much more reasonable 900 calorie meal if you got a normal quarter pounder, medium fries and diet coke (or water) instead.

And you followed it up with over 2,000 calories of stuffed crust pizza, pasta, wings and coke for dinner! You had a dinner's worth of pizza, a dinner's worth of pasta and a dinner's worth of wings all at once. Choose one item and go with it, you don't need to eat all 3, and drink diet coke or water instead of regular pop. Let's say you picked the pizza, you would have still eaten 900 calories for dinner but that's over 1200 less than what you ended up eating.

Even if all you did was those two changes you could have turned this 5,000 calorie binge day into a, still bad, but more much reasonable 3,000 calorie day.

And that's ignoring the "little" things like eating a fried corn dog, onion rings and cake for breakfast.

Eating 5000 calories that day basically means you wiped out a week's worth of a 500 calorie deficit. Gone, in 1 day. You're going to have to start making smarter food choices if you really want to lose the weight.
  • elbaldwin0525
    elbaldwin0525 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Your diary shows exactly why i think anyone severely overweight should NOT do IIFYM or eating the same foods that got you big in moderation. It just doesnt work.

My advice: get you some whole foods...chicken breast, salad, green veggies, brown rice, watermelon, strawberries etc and fix up your diet.

Fitting a slice of little Cesars pizza and fudge brownie ice cream wont cut it. After a certain point you can have those foods for a free meal but for now you need to cut them out.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    I'm on the same boat :(
    I NEED HELP !!
    Please feel free to look at my diary and tell me what I am doing wrong !
    I started working out jan 10th 2014 we are now in April 2014 I have only lost 2 pounds !!
    I do see more muscle and have lost an over all total of
    8 -10 inches off my entire body but the weights just not coming off .
    I stay in my calorie range as much as possible . Between 1,200-1,300 sometimes a little over depending on my workouts .
    I work out 5 days a week doing mostly body weight exercises or weights through fitnessblender .com I might skip a day if I'm really sore or not feeling well .
    I do lack entering foods on weekends but I still keep an eye on what I'm eating .
    I eat fast food a lot since I'm out a lot but I eat in moderation for example I'll have a bottle of water a mcchicken no bread and no sauces just the chicken and lettuce only.
    I'm working on my water intake but overall water is the only thing I drink besides plain sugarless iced coffee or a pre workout.
    I am healthy no health issues but vitamin d deficiency which I have been taking vitamins for .

Any suggestions I'm willing to hear all your opinions anything could help .

Thanks in advance .:)
    Edited by jennifer8989 On April 3, 2014 4:51 PM
    This is your 4th thread hijack with the same exact post..............if you really want an answer then start your own thread
  • Mom2my3girls
    Options
    When you get down to it, you're going to have to make a choice for yourself. Do you want to lose weight, or do you want to eat whatever you want and however much you want of it?

March 23rd is the perfect example. I accept that some days you will be going to McDonalds for lunch and going to Pizza Hut for dinner - I'm certainly no saint and I've done that myself. But just look at the food choices you made on that day.

For lunch you ate a double quarter pounder, a large fries, a large pop and you got some mcnuggets on top of that! That's as much food as you need to eat in a day - just for lunch! You could have turned that 1600 calorie feast into a much more reasonable 900 calorie meal if you got a normal quarter pounder, medium fries and diet coke (or water) instead.

And you followed it up with over 2,000 calories of stuffed crust pizza, pasta, wings and coke for dinner! You had a dinner's worth of pizza, a dinner's worth of pasta and a dinner's worth of wings all at once. Choose one item and go with it, you don't need to eat all 3, and drink diet coke or water instead of regular pop. Let's say you picked the pizza, you would have still eaten 900 calories for dinner but that's over 1200 less than what you ended up eating.

Even if all you did was those two changes you could have turned this 5,000 calorie binge day into a, still bad, but more much reasonable 3,000 calorie day.

And that's ignoring the "little" things like eating a fried corn dog, onion rings and cake for breakfast.

Eating 5000 calories that day basically means you wiped out a week's worth of a 500 calorie deficit. Gone, in 1 day. You're going to have to start making smarter food choices if you really want to lose the weight.

Did you read my last comment? I know did wrong. That was a horrible day mentally also (no excuses). Also, a lot of the time if there is a strange meal for breakfast (like this day) it is actually middle of the night mindless eating that I know I need to stop.