Spazzy Girl Needs some Tough Motivating

Options
Hi there.

It’s been a long time since I was on my weight loss journey. For whatever reason, during college, I found it hard to keep up and I still do. Plus, I have a clear over-addiction to fast food places like McDonalds. Every time I pass it, I get the urge to go eat there and more often than not I do. But I went to the doctor and he said I was borderline diabetic again. So, clearly, it’s time to reclaim what I lost and figure out how to do this who process over again.

So, where do I begin? Hopefully, I can give myself a clean slate and start off on something that will last unlike my previous failures. And I was hoping to get a buddy who will kick me every time I get that fast food urge or if I don’t exercise. And some cooking tips…

Replies

• lockedcj7
    lockedcj7 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I often have to resist temptation and not eat fast food. I keep telling myself that I've got healthy food at home that's already paid for so I must wait until I get home to eat. Sometimes I chew sunflower seeds or gum to get my mind off eating. If I'm in a rush between things and have to eat out, I force myself to go to Subway and eat as healthy as possible.

If I find that I'm still having a hard time resisting, I clean out my wallet. Sounds stupid but it works for me. I carry a $100 bill for emergencies and I leave my debit/credit cards and other cash at home. For some reason, I can resist breaking a $100, especially for fast food. I keep tabs on when I need to get gas and I take my card to the gas station and then directly back home.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Begin with counting calories and eating a deficit. Make it realistic. You should always Net 1200.

FrogFitness.Com has a TDEE calculator. Figure out yours and -15% or -20% for more aggressive.

Since you have a fast food addiction ... dont cut it out completely. You never want to do that ... leads to binges.

Pick a goal ... you will only have fast food 2 times a week or what have you and try to get better at it.

Feel free to add me!

Good luck!
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    How about making better selections at McDs if you must go there? Some of their salads are good, the wraps are decent depending upon your selection, a cheeseburger is a lot less calories than a Big Mac. Look up their nutrition menu online and plan the calories into your day. If you must have it, then make it work.
  • juliecnw
    juliecnw Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I kicked the fast food years ago after figuring out that I had been to MacDonald's 8 times in a 7 day period with the kids. I tallied up the cost and calories and about chocked. It was hard, lots of whining and complaining, usually from me. What I did for every time I skipped fast food I put $10 (2 kids meals and 1 adult) in a jar, we went to Cedar Point two months later on it. I now only go a few times a year and have found that it doesn't taste that good to me any more.

I make sure that I have good, quick food available that can travel and I don't walk out the door without a snack in my purse.Refillable water bottles are plenty in my house along with flavor packets (I keep a couple water bottles in the fridge at all times). I make my lunches for the week and menu plan for dinner.

It's not easy to give up fast food. All their menus are online now and you can calorie check prior to ordering and stick to it.
    My downfall is I like to bake and can eat an entire dessert by myself. Right now I am on a sugar fast and it is killing me. We all struggle with something and help and motivation is just a post away.

You can add me as a friend if you like.
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I think we should maybe address your use of ableist language first
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    How about making better selections at McDs if you must go there? Some of their salads are good, the wraps are decent depending upon your selection, a cheeseburger is a lot less calories than a Big Mac. Look up their nutrition menu online and plan the calories into your day. If you must have it, then make it work.

Agree with this. I always stalk menus for the best option that will still satisfy me!

Be careful with the salads though, some salads (mainly bc of the dressings) can be more than just a McDouble.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I do not like fast food personally but I'm lovin' the sweets! I use the sweets as a motivator! How about a six day sensible eating (not starvation!) plan, with a reward reasonable calorie meal you like at the fast food place? That way you can tell yourself "If I follow my plan I get my favorite junk food...." Then when you get there eat it guilt free. I swear guilt is the biggest de-motivator of all!
  • ZombieEarhart
    ZombieEarhart Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Pre-log. It is easier to avoid making rash food decisions if you already have a plan in place. And once in a while, however often you decide is best, pre-log some mcdonalds. Stay at your calorie goal and it's all good :)
  • Flossiesdoll
    Options
    I think we should maybe address your use of ableist language first
    Yes, this.

Spaz, spazzy, spastic and anything else like that are not acceptable words. They are all words used to mock people with cerebral palsy, who often have muscle spasticity. It's no more acceptable than retard or mongol.