low carb success stories

Options

Replies

• mckat08
    mckat08 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    does anyone have success with atkins southbeach or just plain low carb?? I feel like ive had most success with low carb just wanted some success stories :)

save me the neagative feedback dont care

I am on day 4 and am down 5 lbs. My sister recently lost 55 lbs so I decided to give it a try. Good luck.
  • thatdupeally
    thatdupeally Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I do Keto btw. I stay under 20 net carbs a day.
  • Edmond_Dantes
    Edmond_Dantes Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Low carb and Atkins works for me. I don't feel hungry, can concentrate and have energy, yet still lose weight relatively effortslessly. I highly recommend it! "A calorie is a calorie" is actually kinda BS. There are very different hormonal and physiologic changes depending on what you eat. Anyone who tells you otherwise is full of it.
    Has anyone really lost weight on a pure sugar diet? Maybe, but with miserable consequences and feelings.

For me, the only caveat with a low card diet is that I find it hard to sustain over the long run as, unfortunately, I love fries, rice, pasta, and bread.

Best of luck!
  • pudstah
    pudstah Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've had success but to be honest I wasn't really doing it specifically to lose weight.

I've been able to lose weight on almost any dietary lifestyle I tried, whether low-fat, low-carb, high-fat, etc. In order to lose weight you still always need to create a calorie deficit somehow; simply changing the foods is not what achieves weight-loss. You can still create an excess whether you're eating rice or bacon; eliminating one or the other is not going to cause faster loss, but depending on you individually, one or the other may fit into your lifestyle with a bit more ease.

However what I did find was that eating low-carb/high-fat kept me satiated for a great deal longer, meaning I was less likely to snack mindlessly or overeat. I realized that although I created a healthy deficit on low-fat, it was never going to be sustainable as I was always hungry, stopping to eat 5+ times a day so that I wouldn't flag or become edgy, and that certain foods particularly grains were not agreeing with my digestive system. Quite simply the lifestyle that worked for me was going to be one where I was fuller for longer, and had consistent energy levels - not short spikes. Most importantly, I wanted to FEEL good. Losing weight was going to be pointless if I still felt as bloated as a pufferfish.

During my year or so of eating lean, high-protein and high-carb, I often felt bloated and sluggish regardless of the strenuousness of my workouts. Oatmeal felt like a dead weight, brown rice or bananas gave a short burst of feeling great followed by an annoying comedown, and quinoa just made me bloated. Some foods such as starchy beans, tempeh and tofu had me gassy and feeling pregnant by the end of the night. I also wasn't losing weight consistently despite my workout efforts and eating at a deficit.

I noticed during a plateau, when I began a food journal, that I was consuming a hefty amount of fruit. A banana smoothie here, an apple there, berries for breakfast, mango for an afternoon snack... they added up to a lot of sugars, and a lot of calories. I rationalized that it was better than eating fatty calories. I ate NO butter and only lean meats and fish - pork was out of the question. I ate tons of beans - lentil, black bean, split pea. I only used two oils: coconut (sparingly) to cook, olive for salads. Perhaps the only thing that's remained the same is an abundance of organic vegetables, although I was still eating a variety of higher-glycemic and low-fiber veg such as peas and carrots.

I then tried something like Paleo for awhile, thinking I might be lactose intolerant. But I was kind of more just eating modest amounts of everything, like a 33/33/34 (fat/carb/protein). I ate a great variety of fruits and vegetables. Still kept it lean and low-fat, but reduce my sugars a bit. I had results on the scale, but many of my other problems were still lingering.

When I finally began a keto lifestyle a few months ago (that's low-carb, high-fat, MODERATE protein) coming from an already moderately-low carb lifestyle anyway (100g more or less, per day).

After conquering my lifelong fear of fat and starting to reduce my sugar and carb intake I began to see a lot of improvements not just on the scale but also in the way I felt. I began counting calories again and found that although I was eating until I was full each day, I struggled to even meet my calorie goal - I was simply just TOO FULL to even think about overeating! And my cravings completely disappeared. After a lot of tweaking and experimenting, what I've settled into for the past month or so has been so far the most successful intake for me:

75%/5%/20% (fats/carbs/protein)
    -Based on my calculated BMR minus a deficit of around 500 calories a day, a total in the range of 1400-1800 calories; always aiming for a NET of at least 1250
    -Total carbs between 30-50g, NET carbs (carbs minus fiber) 20g or less
    -An abundance of fats both saturated and otherwise (no trans) coming from: avocados and avocado oil, coconut oil, animal fats, butter/ghee, eggs, most nuts, cheeses and heavy creams
    -Pretty much unlimited veg (as much as I can actually eat) made up of things like: dark leafy greens, sprouts, asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, peppers
    -The odd fruit comprising mostly berries, lemons & limes
    -Lots of water (3+ liters per day)

I occasionally drink red wine or whiskey, and enjoy plenty of home-baked goods made with nut flours/meals and natural, low-glycemic sweeteners such as coconut sugar/nectar, date sugar, or stevia. In this way I don't miss cakes or breads at all. I've no problem eating out at restaurants; most are absolutely happy to replace fries, chips, potato, etc with extra veg or salad.

In the months that I've been doing keto, I have been 'working out' little to none at all, and my exercise has been the occasional lifting of weights, lots of walking, and very little jogging/running.

In the first week of keto I lost about 7lbs, in the second week 4lbs, then 2, and in the 5th or 6th weeks, stalled. I then got a fitbit and realized I was actually still not eating enough, and consuming far too much protein (this can also be counter-productive), and now using the method above, I've been losing on average of about 1lb per week. Sometimes a bit more, sometimes none at all. A few weeks I've actually gained, which I put down to a combo of indulgences (bloat) and hormones (also bloat), as it fell right back off in the following week or so.

Some benefits I have noticed since transitioning to keto:

-I am almost NEVER hungry and the word 'famished' has disappeared from my vocabulary, unless I've gone for a significant time period without food - 6-8hrs or more; this means I'm generally in a better mood!
    -Increased sustained energy levels throughout the day; no more post-meal fatigue or 2-3hourly flagging
    -Less brain fuzz; more alert; better concentration levels
    -Clearer glowing skin; shinier hair
    -Weight-loss; although MFP says 5lbs, I've actually lost around 15lbs. (gained weight back at the end of the year, then re-lost it after starting keto)
    -Less sensitive, whiter teeth; presumably from my limiting of sugary fruits
    -No cravings

Sorry for the long post, but just wanted to clarify that there's a lot more to the success of low-carb lifestyles than just 'eating less carbs'. As with any healthy lifestyle there's loads of factors, you just have to find the best balance for you!
  • Edmond_Dantes
    Edmond_Dantes Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I've had success but to be honest I wasn't really doing it specifically to lose weight.

I've been able to lose weight on almost any dietary lifestyle I tried, whether low-fat, low-carb, high-fat, etc. In order to lose weight you still always need to create a calorie deficit somehow; simply changing the foods is not what achieves weight-loss. You can still create an excess whether you're eating rice or bacon; eliminating one or the other is not going to cause faster loss, but depending on you individually, one or the other may fit into your lifestyle with a bit more ease.

However what I did find was that eating low-carb/high-fat kept me satiated for a great deal longer, meaning I was less likely to snack mindlessly or overeat. I realized that although I created a healthy deficit on low-fat, it was never going to be sustainable as I was always hungry, stopping to eat 5+ times a day so that I wouldn't flag or become edgy, and that certain foods particularly grains were not agreeing with my digestive system. Quite simply the lifestyle that worked for me was going to be one where I was fuller for longer, and had consistent energy levels - not short spikes. Most importantly, I wanted to FEEL good. Losing weight was going to be pointless if I still felt as bloated as a pufferfish.

During my year or so of eating lean, high-protein and high-carb, I often felt bloated and sluggish regardless of the strenuousness of my workouts. Oatmeal felt like a dead weight, brown rice or bananas gave a short burst of feeling great followed by an annoying comedown, and quinoa just made me bloated. Some foods such as starchy beans, tempeh and tofu had me gassy and feeling pregnant by the end of the night. I also wasn't losing weight consistently despite my workout efforts and eating at a deficit.

I noticed during a plateau, when I began a food journal, that I was consuming a hefty amount of fruit. A banana smoothie here, an apple there, berries for breakfast, mango for an afternoon snack... they added up to a lot of sugars, and a lot of calories. I rationalized that it was better than eating fatty calories. I ate NO butter and only lean meats and fish - pork was out of the question. I ate tons of beans - lentil, black bean, split pea. I only used two oils: coconut (sparingly) to cook, olive for salads. Perhaps the only thing that's remained the same is an abundance of organic vegetables, although I was still eating a variety of higher-glycemic and low-fiber veg such as peas and carrots.

I then tried something like Paleo for awhile, thinking I might be lactose intolerant. But I was kind of more just eating modest amounts of everything, like a 33/33/34 (fat/carb/protein). I ate a great variety of fruits and vegetables. Still kept it lean and low-fat, but reduce my sugars a bit. I had results on the scale, but many of my other problems were still lingering.

When I finally began a keto lifestyle a few months ago (that's low-carb, high-fat, MODERATE protein) coming from an already moderately-low carb lifestyle anyway (100g more or less, per day).

After conquering my lifelong fear of fat and starting to reduce my sugar and carb intake I began to see a lot of improvements not just on the scale but also in the way I felt. I began counting calories again and found that although I was eating until I was full each day, I struggled to even meet my calorie goal - I was simply just TOO FULL to even think about overeating! And my cravings completely disappeared. After a lot of tweaking and experimenting, what I've settled into for the past month or so has been so far the most successful intake for me:

75%/5%/20% (fats/carbs/protein)
    -Based on my calculated BMR minus a deficit of around 500 calories a day, a total in the range of 1400-1800 calories; always aiming for a NET of at least 1250
    -Total carbs between 30-50g, NET carbs (carbs minus fiber) 20g or less
    -An abundance of fats both saturated and otherwise (no trans) coming from: avocados and avocado oil, coconut oil, animal fats, butter/ghee, eggs, most nuts, cheeses and heavy creams
    -Pretty much unlimited veg (as much as I can actually eat) made up of things like: dark leafy greens, sprouts, asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, peppers
    -The odd fruit comprising mostly berries, lemons & limes
    -Lots of water (3+ liters per day)

I occasionally drink red wine or whiskey, and enjoy plenty of home-baked goods made with nut flours/meals and natural, low-glycemic sweeteners such as coconut sugar/nectar, date sugar, or stevia. In this way I don't miss cakes or breads at all. I've no problem eating out at restaurants; most are absolutely happy to replace fries, chips, potato, etc with extra veg or salad.

In the months that I've been doing keto, I have been 'working out' little to none at all, and my exercise has been the occasional lifting of weights, lots of walking, and very little jogging/running.

In the first week of keto I lost about 7lbs, in the second week 4lbs, then 2, and in the 5th or 6th weeks, stalled. I then got a fitbit and realized I was actually still not eating enough, and consuming far too much protein (this can also be counter-productive), and now using the method above, I've been losing on average of about 1lb per week. Sometimes a bit more, sometimes none at all. A few weeks I've actually gained, which I put down to a combo of indulgences (bloat) and hormones (also bloat), as it fell right back off in the following week or so.

Some benefits I have noticed since transitioning to keto:

-I am almost NEVER hungry and the word 'famished' has disappeared from my vocabulary, unless I've gone for a significant time period without food - 6-8hrs or more; this means I'm generally in a better mood!
    -Increased sustained energy levels throughout the day; no more post-meal fatigue or 2-3hourly flagging
    -Less brain fuzz; more alert; better concentration levels
    -Clearer glowing skin; shinier hair
    -Weight-loss; although MFP says 5lbs, I've actually lost around 15lbs. (gained weight back at the end of the year, then re-lost it after starting keto)
    -Less sensitive, whiter teeth; presumably from my limiting of sugary fruits
    -No cravings

Sorry for the long post, but just wanted to clarify that there's a lot more to the success of low-carb lifestyles than just 'eating less carbs'. As with any healthy lifestyle there's loads of factors, you just have to find the best balance for you!

That's was a nice informative post. I have similar results but you had the patience to give more detail in your reply. The key to low carb is that you don't feel hungry all the time. And therefore it is highly effective .
  • Tymeforme68
    Tymeforme68 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am doing a high protein/low carb meal plan given to me by a trainer. The protein i take is through shakes, protein bar (1 a day) and white fish and chicken with veggies, oatmeal and egg whites. i eat 6 meals a day and do not go any longer than 3 hours between meals. i have been doing this for about 5 weeks now and am losing on average 4 lbs per week. i definitely am noticing more energy, less bloating and no cravings thus far. I need to lose another almost 100 lbs so im in it for the long haul.
    Good luck!
  • Keliandra
    Keliandra Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Day 78 for me. 1800 calories, (90 carb, 120 fat, 90 prot). 22 pounds down so far, labs improved across the board. Less insulin and metformin needed.
  • mitchdiane1964
    Options
    Great job! I started keto 4 days ago and pray I have your kind of success!
  • soccerdog693
    soccerdog693 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Hey, feel free to add me as a friend! I'm definitely doing a reduced carb diet. I try to keep my carbs to two starches and 3 fruits a day, everything else is veggies and lean meat! Portion control definitely goes a long with that, too. I'm definitely a bread addict - I was the girl that ate all the dinner rolls before anyone else got one. But now I crave bread less and less, my blood sugar has evened out, and I have more energy. Plus eating the healthier, cleaner foods means I get to eat MORE! Woo!

I didn't just want to lose weight, I wanted to completely overhaul how I ate and change my relationship with food. I'm about a month into this and I'm really enjoying it.
  • ddky
    ddky Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I can lose weight the fastest on low carb, but I just can't stay on it. So I settle for slower weight loss and just watch the calories. I still have the atkin's shakes for lunch just because they are filling and easy.
  • 22dream
    22dream Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    WOWWWW GREAT JOB
    This is after about 8 months

BEFORE
    fzS85.jpg

mFFvde7.jpg

After

hrvRkBd.jpg

3w8Rant.jpg
  • 22dream
    22dream Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    GREAT JOB EVERYONE!! THANK YOU !!
  • Thisisit51
    Options
    Weight loss is not only about creating a calorie deficit. I have proved that to myself. I can lose weight on a low carb diet while eating the same amount of calories that I ate while gaining weight on a high carb diet. A calorie is not a calorie. Your body does different things with carbohydrates than it does with protein and fat.
  • slk17
    slk17 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I do Keto. It initially started because I was feeling so horrible after trying to eat all the right kind of carbs(100% whole wheat) and I would just be terribly sick. I tried the calorie deficit , low fat diet and worked out insanely and it was so hard for me to budge on any weight. It took me 6 months to lose 20 lbs. So after my sister told me about Keto, I gave it a try. I initially wanted to do it just for some weight loss, but I couldn't believe how wonderful I felt.

Anyway I initially dropped 40 (in about 5 months) but then life happened and things got particularly stressful and I put some of it back on because of my own bad choices(carbs!). but when I woke up one day feeling sluggish and I said I can't do this again. So back at it again now and I'm feeling fantastic!

It's all about what works for you.
  • liftnlove_
    liftnlove_ Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I'd just like to point out that carbs don't make you fat. I eat 250-300+ gms of carbs every day. If you WANT to eat low-carb, if you like the way it makes you feel, if you can live your whole life like that...then you should do it. You should do what you feel comfortable with as a lifestyle. But carbs are not the enemy of fat loss. Overeating is.
  • fat2fit4good
    fat2fit4good Posts: 154
    Options
    I just started Atkins again. I did it a few years ago and it sure works to REALLY kickstart your weight loss. The problem is you have to ease your way into eating some carbs after the strict induction phase (nuts, some fruits, some whole grains in moderation), but instead a lot of people lose the weight during induction, claim victory and then go straight back to cereal, toast, pizza and bread. If you do that, you wasted your time. Doing that simply switches your metabolism to its old ways with a vengeance, insulin levels spike, hunger pangs return, etc.. doing this is probably worse for you than not doing any diet at all. I did this, and I paid for it.

I plan to use the induction phase to kickstart weight loss and *****slap my metabolism into burning some of my plentiful fat deposits... then slowly ease my way into phase 2 for a while. I have never had a sweet tooth, so eventually I'd like to just get all my carbs from salads, fruits, nuts (no bread, pasta, sweets, etc...)

I feel fantastic (after some initial greasy gaggy disgusting days...), and the weight is coming off quick. This is really encouraging so far. Wish me luck!!! and feel free to add me if you need low carb buddies! I hope to have a good "after" picture to add to the monstruosity currently on my profile that smacks me on the forehead everytime I log in!!! :-)
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Been on Atkins Extended Induction for 9 months, 19 days and very happy with my progress. Will reevaluate though when below or close to goal when i move to strength training.
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I did Southbeach last year and did well losing weight on it but honestly got bored with it. I went back to my usual eating after 5 months and put the weight back on and then some. I did feel great on it and was never hungry. However I did notice that my IBS completely disappeared on Phase 1 of the SB diet. So after doing a lot of reading and research I decided to try Wheat Belly (the diet and symptoms made me suspect it may be the gluten). This really works for me. I keep my carbs low easily. I have not got at all bored and have re lost the weight. I have started lifting (after reading such inspirational posts on mfp) and I am now in great shape. Best of all I am finally off all meds for my IBS for the first time in 20 years and have no symptoms - YAY!!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I am Gluten Free (yes - for celiacs) and lost 30+ lbs to goal by doing low carb/low fat/very slightly higher than normal protein along with vitamins/minerals so I didn't miss out on essentials. This was mainly low carb veggies, and lean meat & fish proteins incl eggs & 0% greek yogourt.
    I have been in maintenance for three months now and having no problems after phasing off by adding beans & grains, higher carb veg, and fats back in gradually. You can lurk in my diary if you want - it's public. My trick is to keep the ratios of fat to carb in lunches & dinners quite far apart. One meal is higher in fat than carbs ie: 2 or 3:1, the other meal is higher in carbs to fats ie: 3 or 4:1.
    Approx 1x a week I eat whatever I want - whatever ratio - it's my 'Funday'. Next day back to stricter Step 1, then the rest of the week my maintenance plan. I eat between 100-150g net carbs every day and it works just due to separating insulin releasing foods from fats available for storage. (That's the quite simplified version of course, so please don't lecture me on how there are fats in all carb foods etc. I know that already)
  • DCarter1701
    DCarter1701 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I've tried low carb and it's not for me. However, after hitting a plateau after losing 20 pounds, I talked to my nutritionist and she said if I didn't notice results after upping my activity, to keep my daily carbs under 180. That sounded like a lot, but I noticed after trackign them that I was often over, up to 200 carbs a day sometimes. So now I am to do at least one meal a day that does not include a starch. That's either breakfast (yogurt, almonds, fruit and chia) or lunch (chicken and avocadoes with veggies, something like that). This does a good job of making sure I stay between 130 and 150 or so. And I broke through a plateau and am now at 30 pounds lost. For me, going higher on fat, a little lower on carbs seems to be the ticket. As long as I hit my calorie goal, my nutritionist said to not worry too much about fat.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!