How do you log when you can't find nutrition info?

Options
I went to lunch today with a friend at Macaroni Grill. I can't figure out the nutrition info. I went to their website and they only show their dinner menu calories, but the items I had are on their lunch menu. I tried googling info but not getting clear results.

I had their 3 course tasting which came with Mozzarella Fritta (parmesan breaded mozzarella, arrabbiata) it was one piece (not an entire appetizer) a Caesar Salad and Penne Arrabiata. The pasta was bigger than I thought it would be so I immediately portioned out the closes I could guess to a cup so I would said 1-1.5 cups and put the rest in a box to go.

How can I figure out the nutrition info on something I can't find? How do you log?

Replies

• levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    By greatly overestimating. That's why I only eat out maybe once a week.
  • peejaygee1
    peejaygee1 Posts: 3,588 Member
    Options
    By greatly overestimating.

^^^This^^^
  • erockem
    erockem Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    If there is no nutritional info, then it has zero calories. =)
  • midwestspitfire
    midwestspitfire Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    So, by going here (http://www.macaronigrill.com/docs/lunch/41LUNCHV3C-HSHW.pdf), you see the menu with the calorie totals. It looks like the fritta was 110 calories, the salad was 220 calories and the complete serving of penne was 800 calories. I know you portioned out the penne but I have no idea how much of the whole that was. This can at least help your estimating, I'd guess.
  • establishingaplace
    establishingaplace Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I typically dine out 1-2 times a week. I try to estimate, but if I can't estimate then it's the one meal I enjoy guilt- and worry-free.
  • njoy610
    njoy610 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Amen Levitateme!!! LOL
  • establishingaplace
    establishingaplace Posts: 301 Member
    Options

Or you do Quick-Add 5000 calories and give your food log the middle finger that day. And next day just eat a little less.
  • erockem
    erockem Posts: 278 Member
    Options

Or you do Quick-Add 5000 calories and give your food log the middle finger that day. And next day just eat a little less.

Awesome.
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    So, by going here (http://www.macaronigrill.com/docs/lunch/41LUNCHV3C-HSHW.pdf), you see the menu with the calorie totals. It looks like the fritta was 110 calories, the salad was 220 calories and the complete serving of penne was 800 calories. I know you portioned out the penne but I have no idea how much of the whole that was. This can at least help your estimating, I'd guess.

110 calories seems low for the fritta, even if it's only one piece. It's deep fried cheese. The cheese itself would be maybe 110 calories.
    I also doubt the salad is only 220. A serving of most ceasar dressings is 220 itself, and the salad would presumably come with crutons and shaved parm.

But, as everyone else stated, just overestimate and move on.
  • midwestspitfire
    Options
    I'm not sure what to tell you. She wanted the nutrition info. Now she has it. If it's inaccurate that's between her, her god, and the Macaroni Grill.
  • RaggedyAnnazon
    RaggedyAnnazon Posts: 183 Member
    Options

In a perfect world : )

Women don't want the perfect man, we just want to eat without getting fat <3
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    some restaurants nutrition info are on other web sites or you can find some similar food items from other restaurants and try to log that in. My advice never go there again so you don't have to eat mystery calories. Just do your best to log what you ate.. write yourself a note in the food diary and then move on to another day. this day was a wash. I only go to restaurants like applebees, Tijuana flats, ihop, etc that have their calories listed on the menu or online or both. just chalk this up to a learning experience is my advice.

and ..I would get rid of those boxed up leftovers but that is me
  • smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what to tell you. She wanted the nutrition info. Now she has it. If it's inaccurate that's between her, her god, and the Macaroni Grill.

:laugh:
  • candycaneps
    candycaneps Posts: 340 Member
    Options

Oh hey. Thanks! Where did you find that? I have gone to their site multiple times and it wasn't bring it up for me. That will give me a good baselines to work with. The salad wasn't a big one (side salad) and with the Penne, I could eat two more times with it so I will try to work with that number.
    I wish I could have the nutrition info (but that is how it is sometimes) I have been doing really well with not eating out the last 3 weeks but sometimes it happens. I figured a chain like Macaroni grill would have what I need though.

Thanks for the input everyone! I can see being okay with having a guilt-free meal here and there (I don't feel like food should be something to beat ourselves up over) but starting out I want to get in the habit of being honest with myself about what I am eating and really getting an idea of portion sizes etc =D
  • midwestspitfire
    Options
    I pulled up a menu for a location near me. Because I live in California, I believe it's state law that chains that have over a certain amount of locations must have printed calorie information on their menus. So if you have trouble with this in the future, it may be worth trying to pull up a CA menu for the chain.

Honestly, I don't know why I never thought of this before!
  • dsalveson
    dsalveson Posts: 306 Member
    Options

That was great
  • rollng_thundr
    rollng_thundr Posts: 634 Member
    Options

Sentiment duly noted.... ;)
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Call the company
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options

:laugh:

I like you.

Only god and Macaroni grill can judge me.
  • br0906
    br0906 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    http://caloriecount.about.com/romanos-macaroni-grill-nutrition-m1577

When I am looking for calorie info I google the chain's name with nutrition after it and usually find something that gets me close. :)