The scale is a dirty rotten filthy stinking liar!

Options
I've been working my *kitten* off! Eating right. Working out hard four days per week. Strength training and heavy cardio. I'm feeling better than I have in probably a few years and my clothes are fitting so much better. People are noticing.

I hadn't weighed myself for about a week because I was out of town. I got up this morning, did my routine in the bathroom and looked at the scale. "Don't do it!" I thought to myself but when do I ever listen to myself? In one week of great exercise and eating well I lost...0.2 pounds!

After I threw my scale into my bathroom mirror :) I calmed down. "I'm going to see my personal trainer tonight, I'll get him to put me on the body composition analyzer." I got on this and got my printout during my first session with him. I got to my session and got on the analyzer. Wouldn't you know that after just under two weeks I went from a Fat% of 39.8 to 35.2. My FatMass went from 120.2 to 105.2! I think these numbers are amazing.

Moral of the story: Do not read too much into the scale. It does NOT tell the whole story of your progress.

Replies

• luadams2
    luadams2 Posts: 122
    Options
    My scale is a total jerk. It doesn't lie, it just laughs at me.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    What kind of "body composition analyzer" does your gym use? Also, how exactly have you been "eating right"?
  • ywalchle
    ywalchle Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I refer to my doctors scale as "that lying *kitten* scale"
  • canadafats
    Options
    What kind of "body composition analyzer" does your gym use? Also, how exactly have you been "eating right"?

Tanita Body Composition Analyzer.
    Good fats, low carbs, lots of protein, watching calories. This past week was a little off as I was travelling but still did pretty well.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

After I threw my scale into my bathroom mirror :)

You didn't......tell me this is written for dramatic effect.

Seems a little drastic to me.

The scale is just another tool to measure success. Actually, .2 pounds loss IS success, and especially so because you are probably retaining water from the increased cardio and weight lifting.

Weight naturally fluctuates anyway. It's just how it is.

Love how you had your trainer measure your body fat, etc

I would say, all and all, you are pretty darned successful. :smile:

ETA: you can eat right all you want, but if you don't eat less calories than you burn you will not lose weight.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    c

Good fats, low carbs, lots of protein, watching calories. This past week was a little off as I was travelling but still did pretty well.

Be careful with the impedance body comp testers, they have a tendency to change drastically due to how hydrated you are at the time of measurement. Good work though, sounds like you're doing well
  • canadafats
    Options

Yes, it was for dramatic effect. :)

Thanks for your reply.
  • canadafats
    Options
    c

Be careful with the impedance body comp testers, they have a tendency to change drastically due to how hydrated you are at the time of measurement. Good work though, sounds like you're doing well

Thanks!
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    If it stresses you out that much, throw in the garbage. By a tape measure and use that, the scale is no one's friend.
  • Takes2long
    Takes2long Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Yes, it tells horrible lies!! I may have stomped repeatdly on my scale because I was so frustrated. May have. It's possible. Great progress so far!! :happy:
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    WOW you have done fantastic.................. In two weeks?????????? You have done very very well!

You must be proud
  • KimiSteinbach
    KimiSteinbach Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    My scale is a total jerk. It doesn't lie, it just laughs at me.

:love: Best quote of the day
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    cales are like your ex wife/girlfriend/ex best friend with the worst case of hormone rage and repressed anger expressed as evil digits designed to make you cry.... but , they work ,

unfortunately body WEIGHT only measures the effect of gravity on mass...

it tells you noting more than how much your environment will pull you down...

93101d1385738134-funny-shocked-surprised
    evilscale.jpg

you want to know how susceptable it is , on saturday or any day you are home weigh yourself every hour, record the weights, then weigh yourself when you get up ..... LOTS of wild numbers.
    tumblr_m269v3GLlo1qck3nso1_1280.png
  • badbcatha05
    badbcatha05 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    That bethlaf is fantastic... my scale is such a lying jerk! My jeans fresh out of the dryer however... they never lie. :wink:
  • canadafats
    Options
    If it stresses you out that much, throw in the garbage. By a tape measure and use that, the scale is no one's friend.

I completely forgot that I DID take measurements when I started but not since. Will do that this weekend. Thanks for the reminder. :)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

:laugh:
    Yes, it was for dramatic effect. :)

Thanks for your reply.
  • canadafats
    Options
    Yes, it tells horrible lies!! I may have stomped repeatdly on my scale because I was so frustrated. May have. It's possible. Great progress so far!! :happy:

HAHA! Thank you!
  • canadafats
    Options
    WOW you have done fantastic.................. In two weeks?????????? You have done very very well!

You must be proud

Thanks so much! I suppose I am pretty proud. I really do feel better than I have in years.
    Also, you look like an Amy Winehouse Fembot in your profile pic! :) (That's not a bad thing!)
  • runningcat76
    Options
    That bethlaf is fantastic... my scale is such a lying jerk! My jeans fresh out of the dryer however... they never lie. :wink:

This!! Jeans never lie
  • SecretDuck
    Options
    I know, right? I feel like I lost weight but the scales aren't portraying the whole story. Methinks, I need the tape measure.