Eating Back Calories - How to meet Sodium goal?

Options
I have a question regarding eating back calories. I am seeing that you should eat back at least 1/2 the calories you burn. My question is...if I am to do that, how do I ever hit my sodium goal?

For example:
For me to lose 1 1/2 lbs per week my daily net calorie goal is 1670. With that, my sodium goal is 2300. If I burn 800 calories, that means I can eat 2070 calories if I eat half back and 2470 if I eat all of them back. But...my sodium goal stays the same at 2300. How do you manage that?

Most of the time I refuse to eat back calories simply because I have run out of sodium for the day. Doesn't help that I have terrible OCD.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Replies

• fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    Think of it as a limit, or have a hot dog.
  • aleggett321
    aleggett321 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Think of the 2300 not as a goal to meet, but a maximum to try to stay under. If you're consistently coming in under your calorie goal because you have hit your sodium max then start looking at cutting out some of the more processed foods in your diet. Pre-packaged, canned and fast tend to be higher in sodium in general.
  • HealthyishWithMaggieG
    HealthyishWithMaggieG Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    The sodium number is the maximum amount you should consume, not the minimum or recommended amount you should eat. I haven't done a good job of it lately, but I prefer to stay under 2000mg.
  • jginsurance11
    jginsurance11 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I should have phrased it better, I understand it is a limit.

Question is more of does the limit increase when the calorie limit increases due to exercise?
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Staying under sodium helps with water retention and its better for people with blood pressure issues to keep it low.

Food choices make a huge difference. Fish, chicken, fruit, veggies, ect are naturally low in sodium. Pre-packaged foods (frozen diet meals, deli meats, boxed mac & cheese, ect) tend to have high sodium content. I can easily eat 2000+ calories and still be below the sodium limit set by MFP. Then again, I have days were I don't even get to eat 2000 calories and have already surpassed the sodium limit. It really does come down to the food you choose to eat. Just keep in mind that it isn't something that you have to stay under (unless of course you have a medical condition which requires low sodium).
  • morethenjustmum
    morethenjustmum Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Sodium will always be 2300mg, the limit suggested by the fda i believe.
    I am having the same problem. Eating more to net at least 1200 and going over in sodium.
  • AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I have a question regarding eating back calories. I am seeing that you should eat back at least 1/2 the calories you burn. My question is...if I am to do that, how do I ever hit my sodium goal?

For example:
    For me to lose 1 1/2 lbs per week my daily net calorie goal is 1670. With that, my sodium goal is 2300. If I burn 800 calories, that means I can eat 2070 calories if I eat half back and 2470 if I eat all of them back. But...my sodium goal stays the same at 2300. How do you manage that?

Most of the time I refuse to eat back calories simply because I have run out of sodium for the day. Doesn't help that I have terrible OCD.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

I go over my sodium all the time. It's recommended to not go over 2300 mg, but unless you have abnormal amounts staying in your blood there isn't a concern. I was eating anywhere around 2-5x the recommended intake when I got my last blood test and my level was in the higher-normal range. 144 MEQ/L. If worried, get a blood test.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I should have phrased it better, I understand it is a limit.

Question is more of does the limit increase when the calorie limit increases due to exercise?

No the limit doesn't increase.

Your Macros (protein, fat, carbs) are based on a percentage of the calories you burn. Dietary guidelines recommend limiting sodium to 2300mg a day (1500mg if your 51+).
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/sodium/art-20045479
  • jginsurance11
    jginsurance11 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses very helpful. This forum is a great asset for someone like me who doesn't really know what they are doing.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Intake needs of sodium is more of an absolute value than an exercise enhanced value. Generally, we should always stay UNDER that goal (Ideally)... Most Americans do not. That being said, there is some need for sodium in our diet... However, we mostly tend to have too much so we should minimize use of processed foods, etc. In general, if you are under 2300 Sodium, you are ahead of the curve.