Sodium

Options
Autk79
Autk79 Posts: 285 Member
If this question has been asked before Im sorry but I go over my sodium almost everyday. Ive always heard it causes bloating but doesnt slow down weight loss ? Im going to try to cut alot of things out that are making it high, but Is this something I should worry about or will it slow me down on my weight loss?

Replies

• SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    High sodium levels can contribute to fluid retention, swelling in hands/feet and high blood pressure. If none of those are issues for you, then just stick to the recommended daily amount for the most part.

As for weight, if you are holding on to 5lbs of extra water then you'll just weigh 5lbs more.
  • einzweidrei
    einzweidrei Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    My sodium intake would probably be considered outrageous on this website (I put salt on everything) but IMO it doesn't matter unless you have some sort of medical reason for avoiding it. No problem losing weight here.

(BTW-If I do get bloating/water retention, it's actually from other things not sodium. But like I said, I'm not sensitive to it.)
  • KaysKidz
    KaysKidz Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I try to drink extra water if I ate a lot of sodium, like today. I really felt it with my lunch...Chinese. It is amazing how you react when you haven't had it in a while. At least the food was chicken, cashews and veggies. :) I skipped the fried rice!
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Water and potassium help with sodium intake. If you make sure you get enough potassium, the sodium shouldnt make you bloat as bad.

With that said ... I hate going over my sodium. One day, like today by a few hundred, I dont care so much. But if I go over multiple days by a good amount I literally feel like my insides are dying and I look 10 lbs heavier.

So I track them just so I dont go over too often!
  • michelleamhill
    michelleamhill Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    If you want to cut your sodium, cut out processed food. Instead of bottled dressing, (even fat free!), try making your own. No canned food. Substitute fresh raw spinach that you can quickly wilt or saute. Use lemon to flavor your veggies rather than salt. Buy fresh ground turkey breast and form your own patties. You will quickly be under your sodium goal and you won't even miss it!

Check out my food diary for more ideas. Good luck! :)