Going on vacation and worried...

Options
So I am going away on vacation to sunny Mexico and I know I won't be able to resist the food and drinks especially when it is an all inclusive place. There is no way I can stay away from the alcoholic frozen drinks while lounging in the sunshine...frozen margeritas, pina coladas, strawberry daquries, banana daquries etc. And the food yum yum...I just have to have the seafood as it is my favorite! I can stay away from desserts no problem. So...with that being said I know I am going to pack on the pounds while I am away :-( Has anyone gained alot of weight while away? Or has anyone managed to stay the same and still enjoy yourself without worrying so much about your diet? Any foods I should avoid? (probably everything right?).

Replies

• LexiMelo
    LexiMelo Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your vacation. Seriously. I always gain at all inclusives but it comes off easily when you get home. You only go once a year, right? :drinker:
  • lorigrocks
    lorigrocks Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Yes once a year...good to hear it comes off easily when you get home...as soon as I get back home I am going back to the gym and right back to my diet!
  • sanderdejonge
    sanderdejonge Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Don't worry. Be happy.
  • lorigrocks
    Options
    Thank you so much...you have helped me to not feel guilty...I am going for 5 days as well. I will go and enjoy myself and when I get back I will get right back on track...afterall isn't that why people take vacations to relax and not stress about anything lol.
  • lorigrocks
    Options
    I wish there was a like button on here cuz I love all of your comments...thanks again :-)
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Don't worry ... have fun! :)

I know I would! But I also know me being me...I'd probably have a few meals that weren't so bad to make me feel better haha
  • cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I just got back from a Vegas vacation. This early in my start I really didn't want to derail myself as I was afraid I'd use it as an excuse rather than jump back on the wagon....So, I tried my best to make good choices when I could and just used portion control when I couldn't. It's very difficult eating out for a week and staying within my calorie goals, but I managed to do it and lost a pound at the end, though my macros were a bit of a mess.

I actually found buffets to be easier for making good choices than regular restaurant meals. At buffets I could have a little bit of the temptation foods so I didn't feel deprived, but bulk my plate up with a lot of salad, fruits, and veggies to stay within reason on my calorie consumption. At regular restaurants, I was "forced" to indulge in burgers, steak, etc, but limited myself to a half of the burger instead of the whole thing and chose salads as sides instead of fries, etc whenever I could.

I'm not a huge drinker, but I do love my Bailey's coffee in Vegas. I allowed myself to have one or two a day instead of several through the day and I only drank water outside of that...no juice, pop, etc

That's how I got through it as I wasn't prepared to go off track this soon and face a disappointing setback on my return home. If you have better will than me to get right back on the wagon and a gain won't bother you, you'll probably be ok and can't do too much damage in the long run over 5 days off the wagon.
  • crys_aintgivingup
    crys_aintgivingup Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on how important food is to your vacation. A few years back I went to Italy for a month and managed to cook half of my meals, and also ate 'frugally' for the other half, and ultimately lost around 5 pounds. But I did this not because I was trying to restrict myself - I agree with a lot of people here about the importance of relaxing on vacation - but only because food didn't matter to me as much back then, I was spending all my money on museums and Roman sites and stuff like that. So if food is essential to having a good and relaxing time to you, I'd say go for it. How many times in your life do you go on vacation when you think about it lol. Play hard and work hard later :)
  • MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your vacantion! Eat everything in small portions and in moderation. If you're so worried, make some pre-packed snacks, like nuts/dates/raisins/, buy some healthy energy/protein bars.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Eat your food, but don't forget to exercise.

Jumping into the pool or the sea and swimming your butt off will help. Walk wherever you can (because walking and seeing the sights is wonderful). Do some fun activities if they're available at your resort, instead of just lounging. Dance. Do some research beforehand and see how you can see the sights and have all the good food whilst doing something active.

I'm going on holiday in May, all-inclusive, and I've already done some research into doing a day-long bike-ride ending in a 4-course Catalan BBQ, doing local hikes and so forth.

It all helps you maintain your weight while away... and that's the goal. Maintain.
  • lorigrocks
    Options
    So I am back from my vacation and have gained 6lbs back :-( But starting today I am right back to my diet and exercise...hope it doesn't take a while to lose lol.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    I'll bet it comes off within a week! Probably a few days. Lot's of sodium in Mexican food. No matter how "bad" you were, I am sure you didn't eat an extra 17,500 calories in 5 days :)

Realistically as long as you can get yourself back on track afterwards you can't do too much damage in a week.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Just got back from Vegas. I'm a bit heavier and my wallet is a bit lighter. Time to get back to work.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I've done all of those things in moderation and haven't gained weight because I pick the things I want to do (margarita, refried beans, etc.) and then go really light on other things (drink water, eat salad) and spend lots of time jogging or swimming in the pool.

Even hitting my calories the salt will put on 5 pounds. But that comes off.

No one gets fat in a week.

Glad you had fun!
  • cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I usually lose wallet weight in Vegas, too lol:laugh:
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,622 Member
    Options
    While on vacation, I hit the gym first thing in the morning to earn some extra cals. Also try to do active fun stuff like walking about and snorkeling.

A tip I got for dealing with buffets was this: Do ask yourself, "Am I really enjoying this?" If the answer is yes, proceed. But don't just mindlessly eat mediocre food just because it is plentiful.
  • lorigrocks
    Options
    I'll bet it comes off within a week! Probably a few days. Lot's of sodium in Mexican food. No matter how "bad" you were, I am sure you didn't eat an extra 17,500 calories in 5 days :)

Realistically as long as you can get yourself back on track afterwards you can't do too much damage in a week.
    Thanks for that...gives me a more positive attitude :-)
  • lorigrocks
    Options
    I've done all of those things in moderation and haven't gained weight because I pick the things I want to do (margarita, refried beans, etc.) and then go really light on other things (drink water, eat salad) and spend lots of time jogging or swimming in the pool.

Even hitting my calories the salt will put on 5 pounds. But that comes off.

No one gets fat in a week.

Glad you had fun!
    So glad to know I did eat lots of veggies and mostly seafood...didn't overeat at all but of course quite a few drinks by the pool lol but the weirdest thing was I never packed my plate with food and never had seconds because I felt full...glad to hear about the salt never thought of that.