What Machines are good for weight loss at the gym?

Options
I do the tread mill speed walking, my stamina is not all good, I use the stationary bike. Should I lift weights on the machines, because im doing mostly cardio to burn the fat off

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Exercise isn't for weight loss, it's for fitness and health. As long as you're eating within your daily calorie goal, logging accurately and consistently and eating some of your exercise calorie back, you will lose weight.

Your stamina will likely improve with time and practice. I know when I started walking it was fairly slow but I've gotten much better with time and even started running. Yes, you should lift weights - strength training helps retain muscle so your losses will be mostly fat and it still burns calories. And you'll likely be happier with your appearance when you reach goal weight.

Good luck!
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    I do the tread mill speed walking, my stamina is not all good, I use the stationary bike. Should I lift weights on the machines, because im doing mostly cardio to burn the fat off

"my stamina is not all good" - isnt that the purpose of training?
  • theJTfitness
    theJTfitness Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    The best machine for weight loss is a food scale :)

Does your gym have free weights?
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    All Exercise helps with weight loss, but ultimately weight loss happens in the kitchen, not at the gym. Exercise is more about fitness than weight loss.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    It's already been said, but I have to say it again: Weight loss happens in the kitchen, fitness happens at the gym. People think exercise burns way more calories than it does. A healthy diet is a must for fat loss. Exercise is great, but it's just a small part of it.

As for machines, ditch them. Free weights is where it's at. Compound moves that hit multiple muscle groups. Look into the StrongLifts 5x5 program. If you prefer cardio, there are worse things than a treadmill. I don't get much use out of a stationary bike, unless you're participating in a spinning class or something. Go outside and walk/jog/run if the weather permits.

And once again, make sure your diet is right.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Yup. What ^^^ said.

Do a mix of weights and cardio. If possible, use free weights over machines. The machines can be OK to get you started, but are not the best choice long term. They can force you into an unnatural motion, and target very specific muscles. Free weights require more muscles for similar moves (stabilising etc). Full body, compound movements are the best overall bang for the buck: squats, deadlifts, bench and overhead press. Look to a program like Starting Strength or Stronglifts 5x5.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    As long as you stick to your calories limit, you could use a mixture of machines at the gym. I use the treadmill, bike, and elliptical. I will incorporate weight lifting over the next few weeks.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I suggest you forget all the cardio. You burn more calories doing body weight exercises and you get to build muscle (which burns calories all by itself). A good diet combined with heavy lifting is the way to change your body however you want it to look.
  • sfarouq
    sfarouq Posts: 10
    Options
    As theJTfitness said the food scale is a great tool.

If you are using the treadmill. Speed walking uphill is good. But make sure you do it correctly, not like how some people do it in my gym - holding on the treadmill for dear life. Set it at a reasonably challenging speed and incline and power through with your arms.
  • Pastor_John
    Options
    Yeah, this trainer i know said free weights are best because you get more out your work out and build muscles faster. My gym has free weights, ill mostly do that then and build muscle while i eat with with a calorie deficit to lose weight
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I suggest you forget all the cardio. You burn more calories doing body weight exercises and you get to build muscle (which burns calories all by itself). A good diet combined with heavy lifting is the way to change your body however you want it to look.

Hm...30 minutes of cardio burns more calories than 30 minutes of strength training. However, having more muscle means you'll burn more throughout the day, like you said. Plus there's the afterburn, which I think people exaggerate. I think cardio is great if you like it and have body fat to lose, but it's not necessary. I personally hate cardio, but I do it twice a week around my strength training for the extra calorie burn. You can't lift every day, so it's good to stay active. If you don't have much body fat and just want your body to look better, heavy lifting with little to no cardio is certainly the way to go.
  • dynamics517
    Options
    Also one thing I learned is that if you're unfamiliar with free weights, always go with a friend who can teach you how to do things with proper form, or ask someone to show you. I went with friends when I started using free weights and they really made me work on my form first to ensure that I'm getting the most out of my lifting. Form and technique matters a lot, not just for efficiency of your work outs, but more importantly, your safety!
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options
    Why not develop a plan that incorporates cardio and strength training.
  • AliciaNineteen72
    Options
    I would just add to keep some cardio in there too for your heart's sake! :smile:
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    It's not a machine, but it can make you one.

The Barbell.
  • Pastor_John
    Options
    My trainer told me form doesnt matter its the muscle contraction. if you lift it up thats good, expeciallly you want to get bigger you lift heavier weights, you might struggle but 2 or 3 reps will build muscles. form just limits you
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    My trainer told me form doesnt matter its the muscle contraction. if you lift it up thats good, expeciallly you want to get bigger you lift heavier weights, you might struggle but 2 or 3 reps will build muscles. form just limits you

That sounds like an excellent way to get injured.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options

Hm...30 minutes of cardio burns more calories than 30 minutes of strength training. However, having more muscle means you'll burn more throughout the day, like you said. Plus there's the afterburn, which I think people exaggerate. I think cardio is great if you like it and have body fat to lose, but it's not necessary. I personally hate cardio, but I do it twice a week around my strength training for the extra calorie burn. You can't lift every day, so it's good to stay active. If you don't have much body fat and just want your body to look better, heavy lifting with little to no cardio is certainly the way to go.

A little cardio is okay, but it is unnecessary for most people.

http://suppversity.blogspot.com/2014/01/do-we-systematically-underestimate.html

"For Mr. Average Joe with a body weight of 80kg, this would mean that his 30 minutes body weight workout doesn't consume 288kcal, but 576kcal and thus way more than 30min of jogging, which should cost him ~400kcal.

Bottom line: I guess I don't have to tell you that these results are very important. Not for you, obviously, because you as a SuppVersity reader know about the fallacy of working out to burn energy, but for all those Average Joes and specifically Janes out there who still believe that you'd lose weight by simply burning all the junk you eat off in the gym.

Cardio "addicts" would yet not be the only ones for whom these results - if they turn out to be substantial - would have huge consequences. The average "expert" on the panels we owe the wise dietary and exercise guidelines to, would probably also have to revise his opinion on the primary of "cardio" exercise for its "superior ability to help shed weight"... unfortunately, my gut tells me that I am the only one who even noticed the (future) publication of this paper in the Journal of Strength and Conditioning."
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    My trainer told me form doesnt matter its the muscle contraction.

You need a new trainer.