Christmas Dinner Inspiration

Options
What are you making for your Christmas dinners? Or if you're not hosting, what are they having where you are going and are you bringing anything?

Replies

• AmberElaine84
    AmberElaine84 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I'm not hosting, but my family is very traditional. Ham, green beans, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, rolls, and jello. I will most likely bake a pie or cake or some kind of dessert. My husband's family does a really neat food theme every year for Christmas. 2 years ago we did german food, last year was Italian, and this year is Spanish. My job is to make the flan. I'm very nervous because I've never had flan and it looks difficult! It's nice that his family switches it up so we don't have to eat ham and turkey a million times! :)
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Just me, the husband and daughter (she's only 1). I am making honey baked ham, sausage stuffing, and mashed potatoes. WIth cranberry sauce. That's about it for Christmas. For breakfast, I am making corn muffins, cinnamon toast, and hot chocolate. I am gonna make deviled eggs on Christmas Eve for Christmas Day and I bought crackers, cheese, and summer sausage. Dessert is cranberry and apple ring bundt cake and cookies. I got eggnog as well. :)
  • lisafrancis629
    Options
    Salad, lasagne, garlic bread and desserts. My boyfriend's family always had lasagne for Christmas and since he can't be with them during the holidays, I thought I'd at least fix his traditional family meal. I'm also preparing a small, healthy, meatless version for me and my sister who is a vegetarian.

My family is actually excited about having something different this year other than the usual ham, green beans, mac n cheese and casserole type foods.
  • lisafrancis629
    Options
    I'm not hosting, but my family is very traditional. Ham, green beans, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, rolls, and jello. I will most likely bake a pie or cake or some kind of dessert. My husband's family does a really neat food theme every year for Christmas. 2 years ago we did german food, last year was Italian, and this year is Spanish. My job is to make the flan. I'm very nervous because I've never had flan and it looks difficult! It's nice that his family switches it up so we don't have to eat ham and turkey a million times! :)

Love this idea!
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options

That's a really fun idea for a themed cuisine!
  • mamayoga
    Options
    I'm bringing a beautiful Fruit Salad!

The main dish is ham and scalloped potatoes, so I thought fruit salad would be a refreshing side dish.

Also there will be little kids there who will enjoy it, I think. I got some of those HUGE globe grapes, and kiwis, fresh pineapple, apples, and oranges. I might scatter some dried cranberries just for pretty.
  • rthompson81
    rthompson81 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Steaks, mashed potatoes, a big green salad and iced tea. (very Texas)
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I am making a turkey, but no stuffing. I roast the bird on a bed of onions/carrots/celery then once it is done I pour off all the liquid and let it cool a bit, the grease will float to the top so I can skim that off and the rest makes amazing gravy that is much lower in fat.
    With our bird I will make yams (or sweet potatoes) and a nice big green salad with some homemade whole wheat rolls.

A feast but with many less calories than I used to make!

We typically will just have fruit with fat free pudding or frozen yogurt for dessert.

I love to cook so have revamped all of my favorite recipes to be much heathier . . . and cooking with herbs and spices instead of fat is much more flavorful anyway!
  • goodcat
    Options
    I'm bringing the salad! I take all the greens in one bowl, making sure to add romain and greens to the iceberg. Then, I take all the other ingredients separately. So, we end up having our own, personal salad bar! Everyone can take what they want, including a choice of dressing, and we all have something healthy to select.
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Roasted brussels, roasted balsamic onions, mashed potatoes w/ mushroom gravy, salad, yam & onion gratin with smoked cheddar cheese....
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I host Christmas Eve dinner. We have having turkey dinner with organic locally raised turkey. I will make my healthy version of mashed potatoes (with Greek yogurt, no butter) but also traditional kind, sweet potatoes, Herb Roasted vegetables (I entered this recipe in databse here). I am going to also make homemade cranberry sauce and cranberry walnut bread.

ON Christmas Day my mom is getting a ham because her husband and my brother want it, but we will have lots of healthy sides and leftover turkey. My daughter wants me to make home made macaroni and cheese so we'll probably have that on Christmas day too.

I will probably bring fruit to my mother in laws. This past weekend I cut a pineapple in quarters, and then chunked it while still on skin, then skewered kiwi slices and red grapes on it - very festive looking and went fast at our first Chrstmas gathering!
  • mandijo
    mandijo Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    For our little family Christmas we are having Christmas Chicken cordon bleu, twice baked potatoes, and festive corn with a popcorn cake for baby Jesus as dessert :)

On Christmas Day, we go to my dad's and have brunch. This year it's breakfast pizza, cinnamon cream crepes and citrus punch on the menu! I'm excited.
  • doo1963
    doo1963 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    We are having butternut squash soup as an appetizer and then having horseradish crusted beef tenderloin, honey-glazed carrots and mashed potatoes. Plenty of christmas cookies for dessert.