Chia Seeds - do you use them?

Options

Replies

• AllyCatXandi
    AllyCatXandi Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Bump, because I have a bag sitting in the pantry and no idea what to do with it :laugh:
  • Brige2269
    Brige2269 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I just started using them. I made black beans and put 2tbls in the sauce pan and let it all simmer for about 10 minutes. The seeds just disappeared and the beans were thickened. It was good.
  • carolinatx
    carolinatx Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    My 'pudding' is still watery this morning :( Would adding more seeds help or should I just start over?
  • ils_1231
    ils_1231 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    i love them!

i just posted a pic on my instagram @lala_and_friends

The way i made chia pudding :

2 table spoons chia
    1 table spoon pumpkin pie filling/ pumpkin pie puree
    cinnamon
    1 greek yogurt individual pack
    2-3 table spoons milk

i find leaving it in the fridge, covered overnight really helps if too watery.

Edited: it was 2 tablespoons chia seeds
  • ils_1231
    ils_1231 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    My 'pudding' is still watery this morning :( Would adding more seeds help or should I just start over?

adding more seeds would help since they would absorb the extra liquid
  • bluekitty2201
    bluekitty2201 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Is there a certain brand that is better than another?
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    I like adding them to smoothies for a boost of protein and healthy fats. :)
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I prefer hemp hearts too, although I have both. Hemp hearts have more protein and way less carbs. But I do use chia seeds when I want to switch my breakfast up.

1 cup almond milk
    2tbsp chia seeds
    1tsp vanilla extract
    1tsp brown sugar

Mix it, put it in the fridge over night, pudding in the morning :)
  • awtume9
    awtume9 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I just recently made chia pudding for the first time. Chocolate banana. Delicious and crazy filling. Almost too filling.
  • ortega1990
    ortega1990 Posts: 236 Member
    Options

Thanks for the links... I just purchased a bag of Chia seeds and was trying to figure out how to use them!
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Chia Seeds - do you use them?

Yup I do. My favorite recipe is to put the chia seeds on a head and...

Presto..:bigsmile:
    chickchiahead_zps7947d88.jpg
  • carolinatx
    carolinatx Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    uh-huh.... cute
  • origwvgirl
    origwvgirl Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    bump...had them for months and not sure what to do with them. Will definitely give them a try now!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I loveeeee them in overnight oats made with greek yogurt, fruit, etc. :)
  • gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I make my own bread. 3T chia seeds added every loaf.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    hemp seeds > chia seeds
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I just bought some last night to try. I'll be adding them to my fruit smoothies for breakfast everyday. I got a small container of them in the bulk sections at Wegmans, I think it was $4.50.
  • Annabelliedellie
    Options
    This is my fave recipe, it tastes like a calorific chocolate pudding but it's HEALTHY! :)

http://sunnysideupsoph.com/2014/03/27/my-first-attempt-at-chia-seed-pudding/
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Mexican style, of course: "Agua de Chía".

Step one - make lemonade
    Step two - add chia seeds. Enough to float in the surface in a nice layer.
    Step three - wait until they swell a bit.
    Step four - stir vigorously just before drinking.

Seriously, one of the best things to have on a hot day.

Other than that, I like them in my slow-cooked oatmeal. They are nutritious and mildly flavoured.
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I have tried Chia seeds, but prefer hmp hearts. the Chia seeds get stuck in my teeth. I would like to try them in baking as an egg substiute just to see if it works.:smile:

They definitely work as an egg substitute-- if you grind them and soak them in some water. They also work as a gluten substitute in baked goods and pancakes.

I use them often. I was appalled by the $12 for a small bag myself, but I wanted to try them. I only use them 1 or 2 tablespoons at a time, so the bag has lasted several months and it's not finished yet. I grind them up (for better digestion/absorption) and add them to my smoothies. I occasionally make chia seed pudding, soaking them in milk with some whey protein, maple syrup, and vanilla. It's a good low-cal, filling breakfast if I'm tired of smoothies or yogurt.

I like them in my smoothies because they are very filling, and if I don't add them to a smoothie that has plenty of food value to keep me going, it zooms through the digestion process in an hour or so and I still end up very hungry hours before lunchtime.

When I thought I couldn't eat gluten, I would grind a tablespoon or two of them as I was making pancakes/muffins/quick breads, soak them in the milk or egg used in the recipe, and they were a good gluten replacement (won't work as well in yeast breads).