Just Getting Started

Options
Wish me luck my fitness pals. 2 days in and just get the hang of calorie counting.

Replies

• Melissas9799
    Melissas9799 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    You got this! There are so many positive and supportive people on MFP. Having support really helps. Feel free to add me, I am on daily :)
  • dimedawg
    dimedawg Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Just stick with it...I have a local friend (so I can confirm it) on here who has lost 148 of her 218lb goal...consistency is the key!
  • SMG1068
    SMG1068 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    melissa how do you get through the weekends? im already thinking about it and starting to worry. I am starting to figure out the calorie counting and have been delusional for a long time on portions sizes. this is the beginning of day 3 and i think this was harder then quitting smoking lol
  • SMG1068
    Options
    dimedawg i am trying to inlist others to help me stay accountable. so we shall see!!
  • meme287
    meme287 Posts: 16
    Options
    I started in March! Its a bit confusing at first, but I am sure you will find a system that works for you! good luck and feel free to add me :)
  • Melissas9799
    Melissas9799 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    melissa how do you get through the weekends? im already thinking about it and starting to worry. I am starting to figure out the calorie counting and have been delusional for a long time on portions sizes. this is the beginning of day 3 and i think this was harder then quitting smoking lol

Weekends are the hardest for me also. If I am planning on going out to eat, I make sure I work out in the morning and then I look up the menu for the restaurant (if they have one), if there isn't a menu with nutrition, I just make sure I order something that I know isn't too bad. There are so many restaurants that have lighter options now, so that helps. I think one of the biggest shockers was how high calorie going out to breakfast can be! I usually meet up with friends for brunch on Sundays and I discovered what I usually ordered was 680 calories! Counting calories is hard but so worth it when you stick with it! Take one day at a time and it will eventually become easier :)
  • Slendermike
    Slendermike Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    You can add me if you wish - I am here daily
  • TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I'd wish you good luck, but instead, I'll wish all that anyone really needs... persistence... the refusal to give up.
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Here is my best tip since I eat out most of the time, but you can use it if you cook, too. Everytime I have a meal, I use the quick tool and add the meal to "MY MEALS." It will ask you to name the meal. I will then first name it with the number of calories, name of restaurant and then a description of the meal. For example: "630 Taco Bell Mexi Melt, Steak Soft Taco, Cin. Twists, Sobe". This way I can plan ahead if someone says, "How about dinner tonight at __________." Or if I know I have so many calories left, I can pick from my list of meals. I go so far as to copy the list into excel, sort so that the calories are in order. I do this every so often to keep it up-to-date and send it to myself so I can see the list on my cellphone and it is easier to read than the phone app (although that works, too). So today. I had breakfast and a snack. I know what I want for lunch, so I already entered it in my diary. That leaves me 730 calories. I got a text from a friend wanting to go out for dinner. I look and see that I have 24 different meals at 11 local restaurants that are less than 730 calories. So I suggested we meet at one of them. She picked O'Charley's. I can have the "610 O'Charley's Sirloin Cowboy Dinner." Since I plan on getting to the gym beforehand, I can do the " 740 O'Charley's Sirloin Cowboy Dinner with a salad no cheese & no croutons 1/2 Ranch dressing." I'll still only use 10 of my exercise calories. It makes my planning so easy. It takes a little while to build up a list. I now have a total of 43 meals from 168 to 1048 calories.

This would work if you cook, too. After all, we usually have a fairly limited list of meals we cook. I also put breakfasts on the list. It is a quick reference.
  • LosingItWithGod
    Options
    1st full day on here for me. Lets loose it together add me if you like anyone! :)
  • brittneyy32
    brittneyy32 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You got this. We are all here to help each other out! Feel free to add me
  • SMG1068
    Options
    This is my day 3 and whew!! it is about as hard as when I quit smoking
  • Hiker_Rob
    Hiker_Rob Posts: 5,547 Member
    Options
    Hi there and good luck in reaching your goals! Take it one day at a time. Here are a few things I have followed, everyone is different though; Set goals for yourself, short, long and mid term and refer back to them often, if you don't feel you can do it alone, find some friends on here for support. Find your motivation, other can inspire you to to things but only you can motivate yourself! Moderation - not deprivation, enjoy what you like (food wise), but all in moderation. Lastly, exercise, start slow, walks or what ever but be active and try to take new steps to be even more active as you progress.

Good luck and all the best!

ps. I quit smoking 2 years ago and for me this was easier to over come as time went on than quitting smoking was. I am happy to say I have no problem with not smoking or over eating any more :-)