Eating healthy, working out, but not seeing results?

Options

Replies

• leighqt
    leighqt Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    muscle adds weight , you even admit you are stronger ,have muscle this is a great thing, I bet you have less body fat, it doesn't matter what the scales say

you would of lost BODYFAT

I have recently uped my calorie intake because 1200 had me feeling ill, looking ill, no energy to get up out the door let alone do any kind of workout, I would up your calories to ensure your bodies works properly if you are still at such a low calorific intake, , that much cardio is not necessary.
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    OP, you may want to double-check your numbers. I noticed a few discrepancies.

1. A box of Mac N Cheese is not 550 calories. I am assuming you are using the kind with the creamy cheese pouch since you said you couldn't eat the powdered stuff. I checked the nutritional information and it would more more like 1000+ calories.

2. What kind of chicken meal at McDonald's is 1500+ calories? I just stuffed myself on a grilled ranch BLT and a medium fries (yeah, I'm being naughty) . It came up to 820 calories and has about three times the volume of your can of green beans. If that is truly as much as your stomach can handle at a time, there is no way you were consuming more than 400-500 calories even of "bad" food.

3. Walking at 2 mph is not what most of us consider cardio. Honestly, I wouldn't even count it. I warm up between 3.5 and 4 mph. I think most of us thought you were doing some sort of intense workout for 4 hours a night. You are probably only burning about 200 calories an hour and that is including your BMR (what you would have burned even at rest).

A cup of Musselman's applesauce, which I believe you said was your breakfast, is 180 calories, according to the database.
    A box of Mac N Cheese, Velveeta brand, is about 1000 calories
    A can of green beans is 70 calories (every brand I checked).

So, assuming that is what you ate, you consumed 1250 calories, not including a dinner you may or may not have had for (what was it) 600 calories? We can see that you are consuming more than you thought and working out less than we thought. It does not sound to me like you have any medical anomaly. It sounds pretty normal.

I agree with this poster.

I just want to reiterate that most of the confusion has arisen because walking at 2mph is not what most people would consider "cardio". It's important to be clear and accurate if you expect helpful or constructive responses. My earlier responses were based on the assumption you were breaking a sweat for 4 hours per day on bare-minimum intake (which is exactly how you portrayed it when you talked about "working out" and "building muscle"). While walking very slowly is good for your health and well-being, it won't burn a meaningful number of calories.
  • leighqt
    leighqt Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    love point no 3

my warm up is 5.6 , then I run at between 10 and 11, doing intervals
  • frankiejs
    frankiejs Posts: 10
    Options
    can someone explain the low fat hormonal problem thing? think it might be happening to me!
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    *sigh*
  • ccam99
    ccam99 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm not a nutritionist but I really think they are giving you bad advice. No one should eat below 1200 calories a day and considering the amount of workouts you are doing daily I agree with others that you should be eating at minimum 1500. I work out only 1 hour a day and my trainer said I need to eat atleast 1500 calories a day. Also don't eat back your workout calories (you did not say you did but I thought I would put that in). I know you think you should eat less and commented that you get sick if you eat more but you really need to eat more. Easy to get calories with proper foods that give you more protein and you still need carbs at almost every meal. Here are a few people on FB that you should check out. They have lost weight by eating the proper amounts of food and exercising. Sunshine's Journey to 199, 100lbs & Counting, and there are plenty of others out there in your weight range doing a great job losing at a reasonable rate the right way. You need to find the proper amount of protein, fat and carbs that will help you lose weight and adjust as you hit plateaus. I also agree that the amount of time you are working out is too much. I would suggest no more then 2 hours a day but even that is not required to lose weight. Good luck and check out those FB pages for inspiration.

Edit: I just saw the post of what your workouts consist of and agree with others. Walking it good exercise for you but does not burn that many calories. I still feel you need to eat more calories per day but you also need to try some more strenuous exercise in addition to the walking. Good luck
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

"The absolute minimum you should be eating is 1200. If you eat any less and persistently eat less at this amount, your body will start to think you're starving yourself and will therefore change so that it can retain as much fat in the body as possible as well as absorb as much fat from you do eat. (Example, notice how starving people in poorer countries always have a bloated looking belly?) "

Yeah, yeah I have noticed that. Do you know why that is? It certainly isn't because they are storing excess fat in their belly area because that is utterly riduclous. What a concept, starve yourself to get fatter. No, it is because they are starving to death so badly that their body has consumed their rectus and transverse abdominus muscle and it is no longer girdling in their interal organs which then literally spill down and forward pressing against the skin and distending the belly. It is a condition associated with severe protein deprivation and is most prevalent and noticeable in young children where the irritation causes edema (accumulation of fluid due to inflammation) which adds to the distention of the belly.

They are NOT retaining fat in their stomachs because they are startving to death, when you are starving your body does NOT decide to start storing away fat do you understand what a ludicrous statement that is? Did you seriously believe they were fat? Seriously, take the time to look at a picture of a starving child and mentally picture and understand that the reason their belly looks like that is because their body is so weakened and their muscle so reabsorbed that their organs are literally spilling out of them. Less cute now isn't it.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Another cause of the "distended belly" look especially in sub-Saharan Africa is visceral leishmaniasis. A disease caused by a parasitic infection in which the belly is distended by swelling. I'd invite you to look up leishmanasis on google image search but it might turn your stomach a bit.

Point being those pictures of starving children with distended bellies is not because they have such poor nutrition that they got fat.

I keep seeing that idea put forth on these forums and it is so utterly ridiculous and yet keeps coming up over and over, it really needs to die.

Being so calorically restricted that you are essentially starving is not going to make you fat, do I really need to say that?
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options

"The absolute minimum you should be eating is 1200. If you eat any less and persistently eat less at this amount, your body will start to think you're starving yourself and will therefore change so that it can retain as much fat in the body as possible as well as absorb as much fat from you do eat. (Example, notice how starving people in poorer countries always have a bloated looking belly?) "

Yeah, yeah I have noticed that. Do you know why that is? It certainly isn't because they are storing excess fat in their belly area because that is utterly riduclous. What a concept, starve yourself to get fatter. No, it is because they are starving to death so badly that their body has consumed their rectus and transverse abdominus muscle and it is no longer girdling in their interal organs which then literally spill down and forward pressing against the skin and distending the belly. It is a condition associated with severe protein deprivation and is most prevalent and noticeable in young children where the irritation causes edema (accumulation of fluid due to inflammation) which adds to the distention of the belly.

They are NOT retaining fat in their stomachs because they are startving to death, when you are starving your body does NOT decide to start storing away fat do you understand what a ludicrous statement that is? Did you seriously believe they were fat? Seriously, take the time to look at a picture of a starving child and mentally picture and understand that the reason their belly looks like that is because their body is so weakened and their muscle so reabsorbed that their organs are literally spilling out of them. Less cute now isn't it.

One of the best posts I've seen. Please post this everywhere someone comes out with that nonsense.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

One of the best posts I've seen. Please post this everywhere someone comes out with that nonsense.

Sorry I work at a disease research institute that specializes in diseases that afflict the developing world and that sort of callous ignorance just rubs me the wrong way. Seriously...thought they were making themselves fat?
  • lemur_lady
    lemur_lady Posts: 350 Member
    Options

Sorry I work at a disease research institute that specializes in diseases that afflict the developing world and that sort of callous ignorance just rubs me the wrong way. Seriously...thought they were making themselves fat?

Genuine question here. What is difference between leighmaniasis and kwashiorkor? I studied them both briefly at uni but this is a few years ago. I always thought tht edistended belly came from kwashiorkor.

Either way its a sad occurence and ignorance to think the poor hildren are just fat. I mean wtf? :noway:
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    muscle adds weight , you even admit you are stronger ,have muscle this is a great thing, I bet you have less body fat, it doesn't matter what the scales say

I have recently uped my calorie intake because 1200 had me feeling ill, looking ill, no energy to get up out the door let alone do any kind of workout, I would up your calories to ensure your bodies works properly if you are still at such a low calorific intake, , that much cardio is not necessary.

This is thefunniest thing I see on this forum. Oh you've been working out doing cardio for 3 weeks and eating a deficit and gained weight? You must have gained a bunch of muscle, and muslce weighs more than fat. LOL. 1 thing is you don't add muscle doing cardio and you certainly don't add muscle eating a deficit and doing 4 hours of cardio.
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I do think the 600-800 calorie a day doing 3 hours of cardio is unlikely but its not impossible.

From personal experience I can say that I have done about 10 hours of cardio a day in a way that made my net caloric intake about -3500 calories per day. I lost about 10 pounds in 12 days with no lean muscle loss and at the end of it I've never felt more fit in my life. That caloric deficit with that much workload did not make my body shut down, actually quite the opposite I was practically bouncing off the walls when I was done, it was hard to sit still I had so much energy.

That said OP I am NOT suggesting you continue doing that much cardio on that few calories, it is clearly not doing you any favors.

So you did this every day for years and drastically lost and GAINED weight? (this is what the OP claimed happened)

Yeah, didn't think so.

1. I never said that I was doing the amount of cardio that I'm doing now, while I was gaining weight. However, I was still working out.
    2. Instead of the 3.5 hours that I'm doing now, I was only doing about 1.5 - 2 hours. But my miles were extremely slow... so 2 hours = 4 miles. 30 minute miles.

Just get the hell of this thread.
    You're not wanted.

2mph isn't cardio. You would probably get more walking in if you just paced around the house for 2 hours and would burn more calories by walking faster for 1 hour or jogging for 20-30 minutes.
  • MrsK20141004
    MrsK20141004 Posts: 489 Member
    Options

1. A box of Mac N Cheese is not 550 calories. I am assuming you are using the kind with the creamy cheese pouch since you said you couldn't eat the powdered stuff. I checked the nutritional information and it would more more like 1000+ calories.

2. What kind of chicken meal at McDonald's is 1500+ calories? I just stuffed myself on a grilled ranch BLT and a medium fries (yeah, I'm being naughty) . It came up to 820 calories and has about three times the volume of your can of green beans. If that is truly as much as your stomach can handle at a time, there is no way you were consuming more than 400-500 calories even of "bad" food.

3. Walking at 2 mph is not what most of us consider cardio. Honestly, I wouldn't even count it. I warm up between 3.5 and 4 mph. I think most of us thought you were doing some sort of intense workout for 4 hours a night. You are probably only burning about 200 calories an hour and that is including your BMR (what you would have burned even at rest).

A cup of Musselman's applesauce, which I believe you said was your breakfast, is 180 calories, according to the database.

So, assuming that is what you ate, you consumed 1250 calories, not including a dinner you may or may not have had for (what was it) 600 calories? We can see that you are consuming more than you thought and working out less than we thought. It does not sound to me like you have any medical anomaly. It sounds pretty normal.

Yes. 1000 times yes.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

Genuine question here. What is difference between leighmaniasis and kwashiorkor? I studied them both briefly at uni but this is a few years ago. I always thought tht edistended belly came from kwashiorkor.

Either way its a sad occurence and ignorance to think the poor hildren are just fat. I mean wtf? :noway:

Kwashiorkor is the condition brought on by extreme malnutrition associated with having not enough protein. It results in edema in the gut that puts on that distended belly look...that is just malnutrition and tends to be much more pronounced in children.

Leishmaniasis is a parasitic infection that can effect the skin (cutaneous liesh) or the gut (visceral leish). If it infects the gut you get acute swelling from the infection and adistended belly again.

The effect is similar (swollen belly) but the cause is totally different. You can be plenty nourished but have the leish infection and get a distended belly or you can be completely malnourished and get the distended belly from kwashiorkor and not have leish at all.

Why I brought both up is that both are common causes of those pictures we sometimes see of children with grossly engorged bellies. The idea that they are just fat shows an impressive amount of ignorance mixed with not bothering to think about it for 2 seconds.

Fair warning I'm going to link some images that are potentially disturbing but for point of reference:

kwashiorkor:
    http://mchinmedicaljournal.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/kwashiorkor-8416_3.gif

Visceral leishmaniasis:

http://www.icp.ucl.ac.be/~opperd/parasites/images/WHO1.jpg

Aww look at all the cute fat babies am I right? Bottom line this is an extremely painful and horrible condition not fat and if you seriously cannot tell the difference between a normal overweight belly and severe edema then I don't know what to tell you.

Leishmaniasis can also effect the skin and result in some brutal disfigurement but if you want to eat today I don't recommend looking that up.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Sorry that was a total derailment of the OP's question and this thread. Just a pet peeve of mine hard to stop ranting. I think I'm done now.
  • kelsielecrone
    kelsielecrone Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Okay everyone.
    Here's the deal.
    You either shut up, and quick being a bunch of ****s to me, or you're gone.

Gone where? Sounds like you're threatening people...

You've got sound advice already.

Give it a rest.

No, not threatening... just reported.
    I don't know how to delete the post yet (I literally just started using this site when I posted this).
    I was just kind of hoping the thread would disappear, and give me time to figure it out... but it hasn't.
    I've just been getting harassed be a ton of people, thinking I'm trolling.
  • kelsielecrone
    Options

There are TWO servings in a box of Kraft Mac N Cheese.
    Each serving is 290, prepared using whole milk.
    I use 2%. Factored the calorie difference, and it brought the calories down to roughly 550.
    It has powdered cheese, but doesn't effect me much. I really don't know the different types of cheese, since I don't eat much of it... but the type of powdered cheese that gets to me, is the cheese that comes with Chef Boyardee pizzas. The white-ish colored cheese.

A 10 piece McNugget, and a Small fry... sometimes a medium, but I never eat them all.
    I've already said that I don't eat the entire meal when I get it.

I walk faster than 2mph. I average between 3.5-4mph.
    I said that STARTING OUT, I used to walk 30 minute miles.
    I can't run them, because my driveway is uneven, and my mom took our treadmill when she moved out... and they're extremely expensive.
    And I've even said from the start what I was doing. If you chose to ignore it, then that's not my problem.
    I also do a few different dance videos. I switch them around.
    Once again... also stated.

And actually, I never said what brand of applesauce I was eating.
    I eat Motts, not Musselman's. I've never even heard of that brand, before.

Delmonte fresh cut green beans used to have 30 calories per serving... but since switching to 'sea salt', they dropped their calories down to 20/serving.
    And yes. The "no salt added" cans STILL have salt in them. They have to to keep them preserved.
    Just not nearly as much as the regular ones.
    Each can has 'about' 2 servings.
  • kelsielecrone
    Options

This is thefunniest thing I see on this forum. Oh you've been working out doing cardio for 3 weeks and eating a deficit and gained weight? You must have gained a bunch of muscle, and muslce weighs more than fat. LOL. 1 thing is you don't add muscle doing cardio and you certainly don't add muscle eating a deficit and doing 4 hours of cardio.

It seems as if people like you, skip over or ignore posts that you feel don't matter.
    I don't only do cardio.
    I do a lot of weight training as well, because I know that cardio won't build muscle.
    That's common sense.
  • OkamiLavande
    OkamiLavande Posts: 336 Member
    Options

There are TWO servings in a box of Kraft Mac N Cheese.
    Each serving is 290, prepared using whole milk.
    I use 2%. Factored the calorie difference, and it brought the calories down to roughly 550.
    It has powdered cheese, but doesn't effect me much. I really don't know the different types of cheese, since I don't eat much of it... but the type of powdered cheese that gets to me, is the cheese that comes with Chef Boyardee pizzas. The white-ish colored cheese.

A 10 piece McNugget, and a Small fry... sometimes a medium, but I never eat them all.
    I've already said that I don't eat the entire meal when I get it.

I walk faster than 2mph. I average between 3.5-4mph.
    I said that STARTING OUT, I used to walk 30 minute miles.
    I can't run them, because my driveway is uneven, and my mom took our treadmill when she moved out... and they're extremely expensive.
    And I've even said from the start what I was doing. If you chose to ignore it, then that's not my problem.
    I also do a few different dance videos. I switch them around.
    Once again... also stated.

And actually, I never said what brand of applesauce I was eating.
    I eat Motts, not Musselman's. I've never even heard of that brand, before.

Delmonte green beans has 20 calories per serving.
    Each can has 'about' 2 servings.

Uhhh... I've got Kraft and AS PREPARED it's over 400 calories if you follow directions step by step. It's not 290. 290 is unprepared.