Food Addiction

Options

Replies

• KaylaBushman
    Options
    Do I think food addiction is real? No.

Do I think Eating Disorders are real? Yes.

What are these articles talking about? The answer would be an eating disorder.

Binge eating is a disorder. Not an addiction.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    If I don't know what it's like to be an alcoholic, you don't know what it's like to be a foodaholic. THAT was my point.

If you are an EMT then you know this: ETOH turns to SUGAR in your system, right? What did the studies on food addiction show? That most food addicts are addicted to SUGARY foods. Is it really such a stretch to believe that if one can be addicted to sugar in ETOH form, another can be addicted to sugar in food form?

Cocaine also indirectly effects the blood sugar: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/recreational-drugs/cocaine.html .

You say you listen to your patients' symptoms and equate them with diagnoses, but you won't listen to those of us dealing with this problem OR the scientific data to support our position? I'm glad you're in NYC. Stay there because we don't need another closed minded EMT here.

Um, no. Ethanol does not turn into sugar.

C2H6O (Ethanol) → C2H4O (Acetaldehyde) → C2H4O2 (acetic Acid) → Acetyl-CoA → 3H2O + 2CO2

But virtually all foods - carbohydrates, fats and protein (via gluconeogenesis) - do turn into sugar.
    BOOM

Right. Without glucose, we die. Calling it an "addiction" is using the wrong.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    In......for reading about people making excuses to absolve themselves of personal responsibility.

I never understand these type of remarks. If sugar addiction were real, how would that absolve someone of personal responsibility??

Is not a nicotine addict personally responsible when they light up? Is not a cocaine addict personally responsible when they snort a line? Is not an alcoholic personally responsible when they drink?

Understanding why something is so hard to resist does not absolve one of the personal responsibility to resist.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    If I don't know what it's like to be an alcoholic, you don't know what it's like to be a foodaholic. THAT was my point.

If you are an EMT then you know this: ETOH turns to SUGAR in your system, right? What did the studies on food addiction show? That most food addicts are addicted to SUGARY foods. Is it really such a stretch to believe that if one can be addicted to sugar in ETOH form, another can be addicted to sugar in food form?

Cocaine also indirectly effects the blood sugar: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/recreational-drugs/cocaine.html .

You say you listen to your patients' symptoms and equate them with diagnoses, but you won't listen to those of us dealing with this problem OR the scientific data to support our position? I'm glad you're in NYC. Stay there because we don't need another closed minded EMT here.

Um, no. Ethanol does not turn into sugar.

C2H6O (Ethanol) → C2H4O (Acetaldehyde) → C2H4O2 (acetic Acid) → Acetyl-CoA → 3H2O + 2CO2

But virtually all foods - carbohydrates, fats and protein (via gluconeogenesis) - do turn into sugar.
    BOOM

Right. Without glucose, we die. Calling it an "addiction" is using the wrong.
    Right, it should be called "Trigger Food Syndrome"
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    In......for reading about people making excuses to absolve themselves of personal responsibility.

I agreed with MRM27, I can't stand anyone with a so-called addiction - Drink, drugs, gambling, food, sex - it's all about will power: Just pull yourself together and get over it!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Whether you want to label it as an addiction or a Disorder the fact still remains that the person has a problem and it needs addressed period.....
  • timberowl
    timberowl Posts: 331 Member
    Options

I never understand these type of remarks. If sugar addiction were real, how would that absolve someone of personal responsibility??

Is not a nicotine addict personally responsible when they light up? Is not a cocaine addict personally responsible when they snort a line? Is not an alcoholic personally responsible when they drink?

Understanding why something is so hard to resist does not absolve one of the personal responsibility to resist.

Agree completely, after being married to and divorced from an alcoholic. He had an "addiction", and "couldn't remember" anythign he'd ever done to hurt me while in another one of his daily stupors. The object-throwing, name calling, accusations, shouting, swearing. It's okay, he has a "problem."

Cry me a river.

Quit buying it, quit consuming it. Problem solved.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Your argument is that food addiction is real. Mine is that it isn't.

No, that is not my argument. Are you not familiar with the word "If"?
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    For kicks and giggles I began reading the first link.

I'm still giggling....

If you want to have a serious conversation, fine. If you're just going to be condescending, just leave and don't come back.

It's difficult for me to have a serious conversation about "food addiction" when I think it's a load of BS, but whatever.

*giggle*

:wink:

Wow, you have no compassion whatsoever.

Food addiction is REAL. I live with someone that is addicted to sugar. Has withdrawal symptoms just like an alcoholic or drug addict.

Are you so perfect that you think that it is made up or something??? Well, its NOT.

So what happens when they eat any fruit or any carb at all? What about lactose etc? What if they eat a few eggs which has evil sugar in them? Goes nuts on them?

yFJ7ikI.gif
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I actually read the book "Your Food is Fooling You" a few months ago, and it was an extremely insightful read.

Willpower is key, but food addition is real. Addiction to crack, heroine, nicotine, etc is real and no one sits around calling it "a load of bs". Well, narcissists with an inability to sympathize with the emotions, experiences or feelings of anyone but themselves might, but that can't be helped.

I like comedian Bill Engval's take on willpower:

"People keep asking me 'how'd you do it? How'd you quit smoking?' And I look at them confused and say "Well...I quit putting them in my mouth and lighting them."

Same applies to food. Unfortunately.

The unfortunate thing is with food, you can't just quit putting it in your mouth like cigarettes and tobacco.

You have to eat and when that urge starts coming in regards to the addiction it is much harder to stop.

My husband stopped smoking cold turkey. Just put them down and doesn't even think about smoking any more. Sugar on the other hand, he has to have it. Gets withdrawal symptoms, nearly violent mood swings, feeling guilty about not being able to stop, etc..............

The Dr told us that sugar addiction is similar to alcoholism.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    Short definition of addiction. (from the American Society of Addiction Medicine and not my mate Dave down the gym).

Addiction is a primary, chronic disease of brain reward, motivation, memory and related circuitry. Dysfunction in these circuits leads to characteristic biological, psychological, social and spiritual manifestations. This is reflected in an individual pathologically pursuing reward and/or relief by substance use and other behaviors.

Addiction is characterized by inability to consistently abstain, impairment in behavioral control, craving, diminished recognition of significant problems with one’s behaviors and interpersonal relationships, and a dysfunctional emotional response. Like other chronic diseases, addiction often involves cycles of relapse and remission. Without treatment or engagement in recovery activities, addiction is progressive and can result in disability or premature death.

http://www.asam.org/for-the-public/definition-of-addiction
  • sarahg148
    sarahg148 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I'm not addicted to food...but during that time of the month I do get more cravings and tend to eat more of the junky food. The rest of the month I'm totally fine, so it definitely (for me) is hormone driven. I also do fine with the activity (tennis, gym, weights, etc) but those few days of the month tend to set me back! I do pity those that are totally addicted to fast food and complete junk. It's just so NOT good for your body and mind!
  • FINDAWGELF
    Options
    Food addiction is very real. I was addicted to McDonalds for a long stretch. I wasn't even hungry sometimes, but in the morning before work and on my way home from work, McDonalds was the place for me to go. The only thing that kicked the habit was my will to change. It takes a certain amount of days, generally 28 days to kick most addictions, whether they're good or bad. Today, I don't need salty chips, chocolate or McDonalds (no, not salads, for you trolls). It works the same way as with smoking, alcohol and anything else. The main thing though, is after the habit or addiction is kicked, you need to fix the underlying psychological problems, if any, that caused it to start or you'll find yourself doing the same things.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Short definition of addiction.

Addiction is a primary, chronic disease of brain reward, motivation, memory and related circuitry. Dysfunction in these circuits leads to characteristic biological, psychological, social and spiritual manifestations. This is reflected in an individual pathologically pursuing reward and/or relief by substance use and other behaviors.

Addiction is characterized by inability to consistently abstain, impairment in behavioral control, craving, diminished recognition of significant problems with one’s behaviors and interpersonal relationships, and a dysfunctional emotional response. Like other chronic diseases, addiction often involves cycles of relapse and remission. Without treatment or engagement in recovery activities, addiction is progressive and can result in disability or premature death.

The bolded part is where my husband is at. After the cycles of relapse and remission, then comes guilt to not be able to control the cravings.

It is severely affecting his health and well being. He keeps trying but fails.

My husband has had sugar poisoning on a couple of occasions from having to have sugar, sugar, sugar, sugar........he used to eat it straight from the sugar bowl from a spoon.

Fruit triggers.............certain vegetables triggers.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Your argument is that food addiction is real. Mine is that it isn't.

No, that is not my argument. Are you not familiar with the word "If"?
    Ok so since you weren't actually making a point I take back my reply to you.

How many people claiming to be addicted to food have you personally done a medical and psych evaluation on Doc M27?
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    Short definition of addiction.

The bolded part is where my husband is at. After the cycles of relapse and remission, then comes guilt to not be able to control the cravings.

It is severely affecting his health and well being. He keeps trying but fails.

My husband has had sugar poisoning on a couple of occasions from having to have sugar, sugar, sugar, sugar........he used to eat it straight from the sugar bowl from a spoon.

Fruit triggers.............certain vegetables triggers.

According to Doc ACG eggs should trigger it too - do they?