Sharp Pain in My Calves After Running 1st Time

Options
2»

Replies

• SloRose
    SloRose Posts: 67
    Options
    , I was feeling pretty good and was able to run for 22 minutes almost 2 miles (I know, slow, but I'm a beginner). Thanks,

BTW 2 miles in 22 minutes is an 11 min mile, that isn't exactly slow. Even if it wasn't quite 2 miles, you were still running at like a 12 min mile pace...again not slow.

The majority of runners I've ever talked to are able to run a mile in between 7-9 minutes, so I thought I was slow.
  • Dancing_Laeti
    Dancing_Laeti Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner at all, but I managed to tear a muscle in my calf once dancing the Viennese Waltz, of all things!
    But if the pain doesn't go away, then that might be another thing to look at. I wouldn't run for the next couple of days.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    Unconditioned and then taking on the immediate load of a moderate runner would lead to this. Rest a day in between till you build up to it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    [\quote]

The majority of runners I've ever talked to are able to run a mile in between 7-9 minutes, so I thought I was slow.
    [/quote]

Read this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1229398-confession-i-m-a-slow-runner
  • SloRose
    SloRose Posts: 67
    Options
    [\quote]

Read this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1229398-confession-i-m-a-slow-runner
    [/quote]

Thank you for sharing that
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    For new runners, I've always heard it said, always take a rest (no running) day between runs and don't increase your distance more than 10% in a week. This advice served me well. Now that I've been running for over a year, I can run more often with no problems, if the consecutive runs are of moderate distance that is.

PS. I'm only just now getting up to a 10-10:30 pace, but mostly after around 11 if I'm going to a relaxed run.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Very early in your running endeavor as an admitted beginning runner, you suddenly increased your mileage by almost 600%, experienced some pain, and are wondering what you did wrong?

Just making sure I understand the question here.

The answer is almost certainly that you tried doing too much too soon too long. I should know, because I've used that training approach many times in my life for a mandatory 1-4 month "break" from exercise as I recover. It's a *horrible* program for making consistent progress. My advice is to stop using this approach and instead adopt a more calculated and reasonable progression...in running and in anything else you do physically.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    i'm sure this is not you but i want to vent lol

I tore/sprained my calf muscle last sunday. pretty bad too. I have been doing insanity and a pretty hard floor for quite some time, but was basically new to running. ran a mile, got sore. I was doing ok but kept pushing with out fully recovering from DOMS (which was not an issue in my teens lol). i could feel a jagged pain suddenly in my upper most gastromous (or however you spell that). should have stopped immediately but i did not.

i've torn this particular muscle pretty bad in middle school, sprained it many times after.

its like a 'thing' for me so i would expect that you serriously injured yourself...and you'd know it if you did.

but make sure you rest adaquetly
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    i did two miles in like 18:45 before things blew up tho lol