Strength Training For Women (Bueller? Bueller? Anyone?)

Options
So being new to the whole work out game Ive been doing mostly cardio...Id love to hear some strength training for beginners tips and if its a good idea to start with that? Basically if I havent lost the weight yet should I start strenth training??

THANK YOU!!

Replies

• RTrigger91
    RTrigger91 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I don't know but m sister is a body builder and she had to start some where so ill bug her and get back to you. It will be good for me to something iv been meaning to look in to.
  • kitlynnJ
    kitlynnJ Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I started with Starting Strength (book by Mark Rippetoe).

A few other suggestions: A lot of women like New Rules of Lifting for Women. If you can get past the 'DUDE!' languauge Strong lifts is a good program (free website).

edit: And yes start now. When you first start losing is a great time to start. Lifting (and getting enough protein) will help you keep lean mass while you lose fat.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    I read starting strength for getting down my form, but actually do stronglifts 5x5 at the gym, so those two would be my recommendations. I just like stronglifts because it's definitely following KISS methodology (keep it simple stupid). And yes, you should absolutely start NOW.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Yes, you should start now even though you have weight to lose. Lifting while losing helps maintain muscle which will produce a better result.

Programs to consider:
    Stronglifts 5x5
    Starting Strength
    New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women

Also, strength training isn't particularly different for men and women. We just start with lower weights usually and move up slower, and don't grow muscle as easy (however neither men nor women grow substantial muscle while dieting).
  • motivatedx10
    motivatedx10 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    check out the videos by POPSUGAR fitness on youtube. i enjoy them!
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Yes, start with strength training before you lose the weight. It will help you maintain muscle as you lose.

Find a good lifting program. Strong Lifts and Starting Strength are good ones. Don't be afraid of lifting "heavy."

Learn the proper forms. A good program is going to focus on compound lifts, and it's very important to learn the right way to do it to maximize your results and to avoid injury. There are some good videos on YouTube (and probably some not so good ones). You can google squat form, deadlift form, bench press form, etc. Or a few sessions with a personal trainer might help if you've never lifted and you feel you need more help with form. Learn the forms unweighted (practice with a broom stick) before moving to the bar.

Make sure you get adequate protein. Go for about 1g protein per pound of LBM (total weight * (1-bf%)=LBM).

And most of all, have fun with it!!
  • KimJohnsonsmile
    KimJohnsonsmile Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    YES! We women need muscles too!!! The more muscle you have, the more calories you'll burn while resting, so it's a win-win!

I work out in my home, and are drawn to DVD programs. The 1st program I ever did when I joined MFP was 30 Day Shred, by Jillian Michaels. It's circuit training, which would mean you'd still get a little of your cardio but with weights thrown in. I've also done Body Revolution by her and that will get you ripped in no time! It's the same kind of circuit training, but a little longer and with progressively harder levels. Or, if you don't like your trainer yelling at you all time, you could try Chalene Extreme, by Chalene Johnson. My sis-in-law did that one and loved it! Just a few ideas for you. Good luck!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Do both. Strength training and cardio are both very important.

I don't have a gym membership so I do bodyweight exercises, resistance bands and dumbbells at home.
  • MrsG31
    MrsG31 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Join this group on MFP, some great tips can be found!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/771-women-strength-training

I am wanna-be woman strength-trainer, lol. I just REALLY struggle with time management and my own mental health to be able to fit it in, but when I do hit the gym, I mainly do the machines and a few free-weight exercises. When I first joined, I got a free session with a trainer who showed me how to use all the machines, gave me pointers, and showed me how to do something things with the free weights. I really enjoy it. I am still a newbie and can't lift "heavy" but it still makes me feel strong. One day my schedules will allow me to do more and I am looking forward to that day!
  • angdpowers
    angdpowers Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    If you google strong lifts 5x5 and read their stuff (its pretty short and sweet), but its a great weight lifting program. And easy. Like, you only do 3 lifting exercises every other day. And you get RESULTS ... good results.

The site has videos to show you the proper way to do each lift etc so it makes it easier if you are a visual learner.

The more muscle you have, the more fat you burn -- and its true. I've dropped 3lbs in 1wk with doing this program -- I started 2wks ago. Now, I've done other lifting routines (ie P90x, etc) but this one is simple, your in and out, and its effective.

Best of luck
  • SexiMami99
    Options
    Chalean Extreme. I have , do it, and LOVE it. It works wonders :)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Yes, you should start now even though you have weight to lose. Lifting while losing helps maintain muscle which will produce a better result.

Programs to consider:
    Stronglifts 5x5
    Starting Strength
    New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women

Also, strength training isn't particularly different for men and women. We just start with lower weights usually and move up slower, and don't grow muscle as easy (however neither men nor women grow substantial muscle while dieting).

+1. i'll also throw in 5/3/1 by Jim Wendler. great program, but not for the absolute novice.
  • kdillson70
    Options
    I love strength training! Great for toning and shaping! I do a mix of both cardio and strength, the best of both worlds!
  • Zelinna
    Zelinna Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I used the Nike Training Club app for a long time and then transitioned to New Rules of Lifting: Supercharged. I did it this way mainly due to the fact I didn't have access to a gym and NTC allowed me to use the limited equipment I have at home.

I do feel the "Get Strong" workouts in the NTC app gave me a good base to build off, and I find that many of the moves are showing up again in NROL. Only now I get to use bigger weights! :)

Strength training is just as important as cardio and like others have said will help you lower your body fat%.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy now!♡ I agree starting strength, new rules of lifting for women, etc are great programs. I've been lifting the whole way. Love it!
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Before I can answer I have to ask what equipment if any you have access to. Do you do your workouts at a gym that has strength-training equipment or do you do all your workouts at home or just going for a run and have no access to equipment. It makes a big difference in what exercises to suggest.

If you have gym access you can do things like people were suggesting 5x5 strong-lifts etc but if you don't and you don't really want to jump right into a gym straight away you might get some resistance bands and do a different program (you aren't going to be squatting and deadlifting with resistance bands).

So what are your resources?
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I'll second the Starting Strength -- 3x5 program. The book is soooo good for form, which is really essential for your lifts. It will be the best $22 you spend. Get it and start lifting heavy with barbells.
  • msthang444
    msthang444 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    HEY! I just did the bueller reference ;)

As for weights, I like the way body for life formats it. They make it simple and easy to follow.

Basically:
    Weights MWF
    Cardio TThSa

Weights alternate Upper/Lower/Upper, etc.

It works on a pyramid scheme, x12,x10,x8,x6,x12- then x12 of a different exercise.

ry%3D400
  • ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Ditto previous comments. Read Starting Strength. Watch all the Mark Rippetoe videos on You Tube for form. Make sure your gym has a proper squat rack. The Stronglifts 5x5 program is an easy to follow basic program, just ignore the sexist and obnoxious language!
  • iRun_Butterfly
    iRun_Butterfly Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I just started Strong Lifts 5x5 about a month or so ago. I've noticed a huge difference in my over all strength and fitness in that short of time. I was going to wait until I got closer to my goal weight, but I'm glad I started now. Starting to see some tone in my legs and arms and at least an inch off my waist, which makes me very happy.