Bumped Calories Up But I'm Worried It'll Bite Me In The Butt

Options
2»

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Bumping up calories does not increase weight loss.

If you are eating at a deficit, you will lose weight, not matter how large or how small that deficit is.

If you weren't losing at 1200, you WILL NOT lose at whatever you bump it up to.

And if you do, you clearly weren't eating at 1200.

There are so many misconceptions when it comes to eating more to way less.

And unfortunately, most of you in this thread are severely misguided.

What exactly would you suggest people do that aren't losing on 1200 then? Lower their calories to 800, for example?

No start weighing food because they are probably eating more than they think.

You again! Can't you leave me alone? :laugh:

????? sorry not sure what you are talking about....

Every time I comment on one of these threads you quote me and argue/disagree with me. We will never agree. Can you not just leave it, or put me on ignore?

Not sure what you are talking about to be honest...I commented on a thread....by quoting the last post I saw.

You my good women are a bit paranoid if you think I have time to "follow" you around the forums....:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Esp considering I don't remember seeing you before....

*slowly backs away and hands poster tinfoil hat*
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options

If you are eating at a deficit, you will lose weight, not matter how large or how small that deficit is.

What exactly would you suggest people do that aren't losing on 1200 then? Lower their calories to 800, for example?

No start weighing food because they are probably eating more than they think.

You again! Can't you leave me alone? :laugh:

????? sorry not sure what you are talking about....

Every time I comment on one of these threads you quote me and argue/disagree with me. We will never agree. Can you not just leave it, or put me on ignore?

Not sure what you are talking about to be honest...I commented on a thread....by quoting the last post I saw.

You my good women are a bit paranoid if you think I have time to "follow" you around the forums....:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Esp considering I don't remember seeing you before....

*slowly backs away and hands poster tinfoil hat*

You said that the last time we had a disagreement. Am I going to find you hiding in my bins? Stalker! :laugh:
  • ultrafishboy
    ultrafishboy Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Recently bumped my calories up also. Same concern. Close to maintenance. I've done a lot of calculations and I find that I don't really know what my caloric intake should be. Everything gives me a different answer. I'm confused. Haven't been able to meet or even get close to Protein macro, which led me to I'm not allowing enough calories in to meet that macro. Trial and error, right? What is my body trying to tell me?
  • LividMuffin
    LividMuffin Posts: 47 Member
    Options

I'm sorry but that's not necessarily right.. If you're eating too few calories (1200 that I used to eat sometimes was even under my BMR!) metabolism slows down to minimum and body preserves every calorie it gets.. That's why bumping up calories but still eating at deficit can help as it kick starts the metabolism again...

No this is not necessarily right. Adaptive thermogenisis does happen but it takes a while for that to happen and a while is not a couple weeks/months. The body does not "preserve" every calorie it gets.

I am by no means saying 1200 calories is appropriate for many people...but if you truely are eating it you will lose weight.

It is not horrible to eat under your BMR either....
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1058378-oh-noes-i-am-eating-below-my-bmr
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1084912-good-starvation-mode-article

Thanks for that article, it clears up a lot of mess in my head..:) Although I wasn't talking about starvation mode (yep, that 'preserving every kcal' is bull**** i know) I just believed that the slow down of metabolism plays much bigger part.. I hit the plateau and only lost about 0.3kg in like two months and after increasing the calories my weight started going down again.. But I also started tracking it more closely plus thanks to sticking to my macros I don't need a cheat days anymore (which I did have before and it included a decent amount of alcohol. I understand now what followed..). Either way I am still an advocate of increasing calories if they seem to be way too low. it certainly helped me get back on track and limit cravings that always became stronger than me eventually... However thanks to that article my arguments for this stance have changed, thank you!
  • sarahmbm
    sarahmbm Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Such controversy! Who knew people were so passionate about caloric intake?! The drama!

To clarify: I really was eating 1200 calories and I do weigh my food.

I changed my settings to lose .5 pounds a week per the suggestion of a post I saw about people who have ten pounds or less to lose (which is me).

Since then, I've been losing weight at a much quicker rate. Also, I'm not hungry all the time.

I'm figuring out that it really is about figuring out what works for your body/situation and going with that. There is some trial and error involved.
  • KeepGoingKylene
    KeepGoingKylene Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    You need to give it a few weeks at least, don't get discouraged! I did it and its the best thing I ever did!