No Alcohol April

Options

Replies

• arios952013
    arios952013 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I've been trying - but have been unsuccessful... would like to join...
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I'm in. It turns out my Spring allergies don't play nice with alcohol. The hangover is merciless.
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    There is going to be a lot of women being accused of being pregnant. ;)
  • misscem94
    misscem94 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    All the best to those doing the 'No Alcohol April' challenge! I did Dry January and February, and I'm going to be partying tomorrow night, so unfortunately, I won't be able to take part this month.
  • hilts1969
    hilts1969 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Would rather stop eating to be fair but good luck to you, Jim Beam or herbal tea, not even a contest
  • Travelbug1955
    Travelbug1955 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I don't drink alcohol because of the empty calories and I like to keep my mind and know what I'm doing. Alcohol calories go straight to your love handles.
  • magcowling
    magcowling Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Doing well. I nearly caved in last night, then I remembered all of you on this challenge. Had flavoured water in a large wine glass instead, and you know what, I really enjoyed it !! Keep it up everyone WE CAN DO IT.
  • paganstar71
    paganstar71 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I gave up alcohol 2 years ago. Best decision ever!

If you think this challenge is going to be hard, take it as a sign that you really MUST give up for good to prevent alcoholism and maintain a happy, healthy lifestyle.

Good luck everybody. If I can do it, anyone can.
  • fivespotter
    fivespotter Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am in.....I haven't had a drink since March 8th. I was thinking about having a beer tonight; but, this has inspired me to complete April without a drink. Thank you & good luck to everyone!
  • shartran
    shartran Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I use to have at least one (perhaps two) glasses of wine with my dinner - When I decided to stop this, the 'muffin top' just 'fell' off in the first few weeks.

However, I now like a 1/2 ounce shot of vodka before my dinner now...
    No concerns with weight now, so I'm not going to stop my little ritual.

Maybe I should be concerned...does anyone think I should be?

Good luck to those who are leaving it 'all behind'...
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Go figure. Hadn't had a drink in a month. Decide to join this thread, then had a drink today. To be fair, I had it because my back went out on me, and it's a much cheaper and better muscle relaxant and pain killer than anything the doctor gives me (though not for daily use of course). Still, my calorie count is what I like to call Over 9000! Serves me right for wimping out and breaking my promise. Whoopsie. No alcohol April (and my weight loss) starts over tomorrow.
  • zivasak
    zivasak Posts: 88
    Options
    Survived the weekend bubbly call and there is nothing slowing down my fat cells from shrinking now! Day 6! We 've got this!
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    My bf and I gave up alcohol for Lent. The 40 days will be over next week, and I have been eating as I normally do and exercising as I have been since January 1st. Not drinking alcohol has NO affect on my weight loss whatsoever.

If you are planning to quit drinking alcohol because you think you'll see the pounds shed off faster, think again. It's 100% about calories in-calories out and it doesn't matter if those calories come from alcohol or not.

That being said, I have to say I've been much more productive on the weekends with projects around the house and yard since I don't wake up Saturday or Sunday morning with a hangover... and that's nice ;)

But, as for weight loss, is has no affect for me whatsoever. I'm pretty excited to start my drinking-in-moderation again once lent is over!
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I've been sober for almost four years now and I'm happy for anyone needing support to send me a friend request. The first year is the hardest but totally worth it. A month is an excellent place to start if you're worried about your drinking habits. Good luck everyone!
  • dysenterygary11
    Options
    5 days in April w/out a drink, and 7 days total for me. Thanks for the motivation!!!
  • zivasak
    Options
    My bf and I gave up alcohol for Lent. The 40 days will be over next week, and I have been eating as I normally do and exercising as I have been since January 1st. Not drinking alcohol has NO affect on my weight loss whatsoever.

If you are planning to quit drinking alcohol because you think you'll see the pounds shed off faster, think again. It's 100% about calories in-calories out and it doesn't matter if those calories come from alcohol or not.

That being said, I have to say I've been much more productive on the weekends with projects around the house and yard since I don't wake up Saturday or Sunday morning with a hangover... and that's nice ;)

But, as for weight loss, is has no affect for me whatsoever. I'm pretty excited to start my drinking-in-moderation again once lent is over!

I find that great that it has no impact on your weight loss and that the only consequence is a lack of productivity after a hangover on weekends.
    Nobody is saying that the weight will drop faster. Alcohol slows down the process of fat burning for many reasons depending on the quantity, the type, and if your happen to live next to a kebab chain or not. Also no one disputes the fact that calories in and out matter to drop weight.

However some people , me included, are in it for reasons beyond weight loss (hormone balance, FAT loss, body composition, which are all interdependent for the best health you can get). Alcohol is not a macro but purely empty calories and your liver will stop what it is doing to burn it first. My liver is the best thing that kept hanging in there in a rather good shape after years of abuse so it is payback time :)

Last month, I started questioning my regular glass of bubbly intake when I noticed a few physiological changes. I stopped drinking for 2 months (I am a very moderate drinker) and reaped the benefits. I got back on drinking bubbly (low carb favorite) as soon as my hubby got a bottle for Valentine's day. I love this challenge because it pushes me to address this further to research on the subject and judge for myself it is worth it for me or not.

This said there is a champagne diet out there and it seems to work for some!

Well done on your 40 day sobriety!

EDIT: sorry need to rephrase this: Alcohol slows down the process of fat burning and CAN REVERSE IT depending on the quantity, the type, and if your happen to live next to a kebab chain or not.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad to know so many people are doing this! I recently realized that my "one drink a day" has stalled my weight loss. It's been a week and a day since my last drink and I'm feeling a lot better. Good luck everyone! This is a tough one for me.
  • arios952013
    arios952013 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I keep caving in and giving in to having a glass of two of red wine.... need to find strength to leave it so I can make it to my next weight loss goal...

What helps you to stay away from your glass or glasses of wine, bubbly, Jim Beam, Rum, Vodka, Beer, etc.?

53099968.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • zivasak
    Options
    Honestly, it is my biggest challenge! Sounds alarming, doesn't it? But I use the 21 day system. I keep telling myself "it is temporary, only 15 days left" (hoping of course to keep going after that but that's another challenge)

I also don't have it in the house. The store is not at a walking distance so it helps. Now if you see me walking there there will be cause for concern.

Lastly, I avoid going to a beach bar. I live in Bali can you imagine the torture! I go to work, go the gym afterwards and come home to cook a nice dinner and before I know it is bedtime.

When I get obsessed, I read all sorts of literature on the horrifying damaging consequences of alcohol on fat loss only. No need for the extreme…yet!

It is the weekends the hardest.

No worries. I know you've got this! A day at a time!
  • TattooedNici
    TattooedNici Posts: 2,141 Member
    Options
    I'm in, because April is Alcohol Awareness Month. My birthday is one week from today, and I'm proud to say that I've been clean and sober for 5 years. Here for supporting you, guys!