Zumba Class vs Zumba @ Home

Options
Zumba has been something that has been recommended to me by many of my friends and I have followed along with some You Tube videos and have enjoyed it. What I want to know is what is the preference for you...class or at home? I understand the benefit of class. I get it I do. However, I like the at home aspect because I can do it on my own time and it also will save me a lot of money in the long run and I can get the new and improved system with the Riser. My husband thinks that class will be better for me because so many of my friends go and he feels like that will motivate me more to stick with it. Me, I don't know. Thoughts anyone?

Replies

• ladyynara
    Options
    I started going to a zumba class just before christmas, and also was given a zumba wii game for christmas. I have to say I've only looked at the game maybe twice. I just don't have the motivation to do the stuff with it, and didn't find the dances very interesting. It's too easy to sit on my couch :) My zumba class however, I love. And I never thought I'd say that. 20 years ago I went to a step aerobic class and was ridiculed by the teacher, and so have never done anything like it again until zumba. Our teacher is *great*, the more I've gone the less embarrassed I've been, and even though I am horribly uncoordinated, no one cares if I put the right arm up instead of the left one, as long as I am moving, and burning those calories. I still can't shake my hips like she does! She also keeps the music going and goes right into the next song and those that need a break for a drink just join back in when they are done. I'm lucky that she does a pay-as-you-go system too, which is great for the rare weeks I can't make it.
  • andream1976
    andream1976 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I prefer my Zumba class over doing it at home. Just seems I feed off the energy of the instructor and everyone else and get a better work out. Plus, our instructor is always making class fun by offering contests, theme nights, and great motivation. I just can't get that at home.
  • codycsweet
    codycsweet Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I prefer a Zumba class my instructors kick my *kitten*. I do a higher intensity. I do have the Wii games and do them occasionally if I can't make a class. Get to know the instructors and they say go to at least 3-5 with the same instructor before deciding since everyone has a different style. Plus I'm to the point in my life the pay i don't care what others think. I dance my booty off. A few years ago I went to a few classes of Zumba and was very shy. I still have two left feet but I love Zumba.
    IMO I think ur hubby is right especially if you have friends who go and can help keep you motivated. Just think of it as girls night outs.
  • freshstart180213
    freshstart180213 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Sorry but I agree with the others zumba at home cant compare with a class I love my teacher I go twice a week zumba on mondays and zumba toning and circuit training on thurs at home you slow up get lazy whereas in the class you go for the full hour and push yourself to work that bit harder to me its worth the money
  • kitticus15
    kitticus15 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I love the Zumba classes, like one of the other posters said, it doesn't matter whether you put the wrong arm up or if you get the steps wrong, your having a go and enjoying it, I made new friends at Zumba and we have a right giggle, I have the dvds for at home but to be honest I have never even looked at them, I much prefer the class
  • meca85
    meca85 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    The classes themselves are awesome but I really love my Nintendo Zumba Core classes.
    I made my own playlist and in half an hour i burn an easy 300-450calories. I use my HRM for motivation and to increase my effort.
    I also added weights to it for more toning.
    I love that i can truly jump around like an idiot and get an amazing burn and workout in the privacy of my home =) LoL

The classes are intense but what I hated most about them was that they would get very crowded, you would eventually not have the same amount of space you would have at home, sometimes you would end up in the back and not.be able to see the instructor very well, and some of the other ladies were just rude. So i avoid all of that, save myself the trip and.just do it at home.
    If you have friends to go with you awesome, go with the classes,, i personally just got so tired of ladies hogging up the "better spots" and getting pushed to the side. =\
  • rshorter32
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice. I appreciate it.
  • toronto_j
    toronto_j Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Jumping around with a teacher and a class is more fun but it's really about whatever will keep you moving. I do both classes at my gym as well as independent at-home workouts.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I prefer the classes. The atmosphere and intensity is much better than doing it home on youtube or video game.