Converting from weight (ml, tsp etc to grams/lbs)

Options
I'm new to MFP and use a food scale for determining calories so am wondering how to convert liters/cups etc to gram/lb equivalents.

When using DietPower I had to go to the Govt website to find the weight conversions, i.e each food is listed as 100 gm = x calories, y fat gms etc, then add those foods to the food database.

Is this what I'll have to do in MFP? I never use cups, ml or other measurements to determine calories etc,

Help, Robert

Replies

• mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I just put everything into google.

4 oz = __ cups.

Boom. It's a great thing that internet.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I have an app on my phone called convert pad. Great for when you weigh out 12oz of cauliflower and then the MFP db lists it in grams!
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    I'm new to MFP and use a food scale for determining calories so am wondering how to convert liters/cups etc to gram/lb equivalents.

When using DietPower I had to go to the Govt website to find the weight conversions, i.e each food is listed as 100 gm = x calories, y fat gms etc, then add those foods to the food database.

Is this what I'll have to do in MFP? I never use cups, ml or other measurements to determine calories etc,

Help, Robert

Liters and cups are volume. Grams and lb are weight. You can't convert volume into weight.
  • fougamou
    fougamou Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Volume to weight or weight to volume cannot be accurately done due to differences in mass.

Online calculators calculate 1 fl oz to 1 oz in weight based on water, the further the mass of the object differs from water, the less accurate the measure will be.
  • mycupyourcake
    mycupyourcake Posts: 279 Member
    Options

Help, Robert

Liters and cups are volume. Grams and lb are weight. You can't convert volume into weight.
    I was just about to say this. Well unless you know the density of an item you can not convert volume into weight. I think that there are calcs for water, but we know the density of water.
  • Rosyone
    Rosyone Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have an app on my phone called convert pad. Great for when you weigh out 12oz of cauliflower and then the MFP db lists it in grams!

Be careful converting ounces. It works well enough when "ounce" is used as a unit of weight, but there's no universal conversion factor for converting fluid ounces to grams. Your app isn't reliable for something like cream.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Find the entry that corresponds to your weighted measurment.

USDA entries or ones without an asteriks, homemeade or Generic...you can't really convert this stuff. I did up a post that explains how to add your own entries as well if you can't find one you know is correct or even edit one you found.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide?hl=Logging+accurately&page=3#posts-19337078
  • Ro3bert
    Ro3bert Posts: 4
    Options

Be careful converting ounces. It works well enough when "ounce" is used as a unit of weight, but there's no universal conversion factor for converting fluid ounces to grams. Your app isn't reliable for something like cream.

I checked for "fluid ounce" on Wikipedia and found this: 1 US fluid ounce ≈ 1.041 ounce avoirdupois (29.5 g) of water at 62 °F (16.7 °C). Converting the other way, 1 ounce avoirdupois ≈ (1 [ fluid ounce]/1.041 [ounce avoirdupois] ≈ 0.960614793 fluid ounce.

Once one makes these conversions it is possible to convert either one to grams.

Robert
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    google what you're trying to convert, the will do it for you. there is a nifty little chart.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I just put everything into google.

4 oz = __ cups.

Boom. It's a great thing that internet.

What she said.
  • Rosyone
    Rosyone Posts: 74 Member
    Options

I checked for "fluid ounce" on Wikipedia and found this: 1 US fluid ounce ≈ 1.041 ounce avoirdupois (29.5 g) of water at 62 °F (16.7 °C). Converting the other way, 1 ounce avoirdupois ≈ (1 [ fluid ounce]/1.041 [ounce avoirdupois] ≈ 0.960614793 fluid ounce.

Once one makes these conversions it is possible to convert either one to grams.

Robert

That's true for water and would probably be close enough for any liquid with a density close to water. For anything else you'd need to know the density.