Exercise videos where the instructors are not ripped?

Options
I started walking every morning a few months ago, and have started jogging/walking following a beginner 5k program on Runkeeper. I have dropped 30lbs so far since January, and feel better, fitter and stronger than I ever have. I still have 50lbs to go though. I want to start incorporating some exercises at home, especially to gain some strength and just bought a resistance band. However, all the videos I find the instructors all have abs of steel and in great shape...maybe a lot of people find that motivating, but it just makes me think "well of *course* you can do that easily, look at you!". Anyone know of any videos for unfit people where we can struggle together to get the exercises done, and then maybe both look great at the end? :)

Replies

• sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Richard Simmons?
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    Estelle Getty AKA Sophia from Golden Girls.
  • culo97
    culo97 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I'm with you. For the most part, I can't stand exercise videos led by people with 5% or less body fat. Unfortunately, they seem to be the ones making a majority of videos. So now I just focus on how well the instructors communicate, good lighting/audio and tolerable attitude. I also can't stand super perky, squeaky voices (no offense to anyone who has this kind of voice naturally).

YouTube for free videos

Many tai chi videos have regular folks, paunches, guts, big thighs and all. Low intensity but it'll get you flexible.

I think Fitness Blender does a good job of teaching a wide range of exercises. They clearly say what they're going to do, do it and remind you of what you should be doing. One of the few videos where I can kind of keep up and do the exercise correctly. If you knew how uncoordinated I am, you'd know what huge praise this is.
  • jamielee1061
    Options
    I just finished the day fix from Beachbody. Although, the instructor is VERY fit, she actually has a moderator working out with her that is definitely a thicker, more realistic person. I loved the workouts so much, and got very toned. Add or message me if you want more info.
  • SMFRN
    SMFRN Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Any of the biggest loser videos have real looking people. It motivates me because i feel if they can do it so can I.
  • bobcooks920
    Options
    Any of the biggest loser videos have real looking people. It motivates me because i feel if they can do it so can I.
    I've done three of the Biggest Loser DVDs (Cardio Max, Power Sculpt, and Boot Camp), and I like that the participants are normal people.
  • aeshaddox
    aeshaddox Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I like Leslie Sansone's Walk at Home videos.
  • elizashopsalot
    elizashopsalot Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've been doing DDP Yoga for three weeks, and for the most part, the people on the video look like anyone I would see in real life at a fitness class. I've lost 40 pounds so far, but would like to lose another 120 (but I don't like to think in goals that large). The story they use for publicity is very inspiring, you can find it on their website or on YouTube. It's a disabled veteran who took things slow and worked his way back to running using the program. My husband does it with me because it's not "girly" Yoga.