Ideas to get you moving?

Options
My question for the day: Excluding gyms, what are some of the ways you add activities to your life to get you moving?

For example I go roller skating, trampolining and go for a swim at the indoor wave pools. What are some of the things you do or have thought about doing?

I would love to hear your ideas!

Replies

• Wendy__D
    Wendy__D Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I've done ice skating, stand up paddle boarding, pedal boats (or kayak or canoe), snorkeling or swimming, horseback riding, bowling, Frisbee... Not all often, but some ideas.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    For me the winters are terrible because I like being outdoors. But in the summer...

I'm on a beach volleyball team, strictly fun you don't have to be amazing. There are a lot of outdoor teams to be apart of.

Also, bike rides, swimming, playing catch in the yard, basketball ... etc.

All of those activities whether you are good or not are fun to do outside!
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I have done many things and do some in the house:

Jumprope (knees make this no longer an option, but I miss it)
    Hula hoop
    Ice Skating
    Roller Skating
    Walking to my destination
    Taking the stairs (my knees don't always allow anymore, but I live on the 23rd floor and it was a great option)
    Swimming
    Dancing
    Standing instead of sitting on the train and when I am out (I know seems silly but really you are a bit more active)

I also try really hard to get up from my desk more often. For a while I had a keyboard tray that allowed me to stand up while working that was awesome.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Cycling for rec or commuting
    Playing Frisbee
    Splitting, sawing, or chopping wood.
    Climbing....on anything, playground equipment, elephants. rocks etc.
    Canoeing or Kayaking
    Hiking
    Walking
    Adventure Games on the Wii
    Swimming
    Golf (no cart)
    Geocaching (not park and grabs)
    Mowing the lawn with a push mower
    Wrestling with kids, adults, or animals
    Helping someone move
  • Wifey7891
    Wifey7891 Posts: 91
    Options
    i like to take my dog for walks around parks. we were looking to get some kayaks this summer, that's a good arm workout. rock climbing (indoors or out) can be challenging. even gardening or yard work can be a great workout! if you work in an office building like i do, doing a stair challenging with some coworkers, or using part of your lunch break to at least get out for a walk around the block. at my job there is a intramural softball league i play with in the summer.
  • Spacegirlley
    Spacegirlley Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Those are some great ideas :) I haven't tried paddle boarding, will have to give that one a go. Rock climbing is a great one for getting everything moving, although I do enjoy the free-fall abseil back down again more, especially if it is on a real mountain!
  • dt3312
    dt3312 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Walking around in the neighborhood.
    I have stairs in my house and make over 50 round trips a day.
    If I can fit it in my schedule this summer I want to volunteer in an exercise class for dev. disabled adults.
    I exercise while I watch TV.
    I go to Yolaties (Yoga-Pilates) class 2X/week.
    Yardwork
  • ecograndma
    Options
    Cycling
    Yoga
    Pilates
    On rainy days use the treadmill and lift weights at gym
    Hula hooping while watching news
    Walk, walk, walk
    Run around and play with grand kids at park
    Take stairs at work
    Volunteer at local historical cemetery and clean up gardens
    Squats and push ups on counter while cooking meals (every bit helps)

Just received my Fitbit Zip as another tool to use. Can't wait to see how many steps I get in per day.