BMI & Goal

Options
When those who are losing weight do you have goal set at the BMI level or just monitor and wait to see how you look and feel close to that level?

Replies

• thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    I just picked an obvious number (200) and decided I'd start there. Then I'll probably bump it down ten more pounds and see what happens. BMI would have me under 185, but I wasn't going to set up anything based on that formula.
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I had lost weight in the past and so I picked a goal weight initially that was comparable to a past goal weight that I'd acheived and felt good at. I did make sure that number was in the "healthy" BMI range, but that wasn't the basis for it.

Ultimately, I lowered the goal weight as I approached the original one because I wasn't feeling as good at that weight as I thought I might. So I lowered it, and then again as I reached the end of the weight loss.

I didn't specifically select a goal weight based on BMI but I did check my BMI frequently throughout my weight loss because it was a HUGE victory to get into the healthy range, even though I wasn't yet at my goal weight.
  • dunadan
    dunadan Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I have goals for weight (190) and fat % (17), but not for BMI...at least not at ending BMI goal. I wanted to get out of the obese range (done), but in order for me to get into the "normal weight" BMI range, I'd have to get down to 170 pounds, which just isn't happening. The last time I was 170, I had been in a hospital for a month on a clear liquid diet, and had lost 20 pounds.

BMI is far less important to me than how I feel, and my overall fitness level.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    BMI is a wide range. Top end of "normal" is a decent place to start, and re-evaluate from there. Or you can pick some random number that seems more readily achievable, and re-evaluate from that point.

Edit: OP is a 42-yr old woman, not a muscular man, so BMI normal isn't going to mean very low BF for her.
  • crisbabe81
    crisbabe81 Posts: 170
    Options
    For me I set a goal weight where I felt most comfortable, also was the lowest weight I had reached while dieting and exercising. My ultimate goal is to have a healthy body fat, so once I get to my goal weight I will re adjust, if need be, to get to the healthy body fat range.
  • Kimberrh6
    Kimberrh6 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    The BMI is based on the build of a petite woman. It has not be updated for years and depending on your BMI, it may seem a little crazy! My BMI says I should weight between 123-169 (I am 5'9"). For me, I aim for the top of my BMI. When I was 163 lbs., I felt like I was starving and ended up finding that 170 lbs. worked for me. I'm starting over from scratch though right now.

Don't get me wrong--the BMI is a good general outline of the healthy weight but based on your own body form, the lowest weight can seem impossible. Do what feels good for you :)
  • michellechawner
    Options
    My goal weight was 120 but the past two weeks i've been at 124-125 and am really happy here, so decided to stay here.

It all really depends on how you feel - I felt my best my first year at college, but 107 is pretty unrealistic for me now 10 years later.
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    My goal is still my BMI, but I'm happy at my current dress size. I want the number on the scale lower and a healthy BMI but if I just stay the same size FOREVER even if I dont lose anymore or if I gain a pound or two I think I will be ok lol.
  • EngineerPrincess
    EngineerPrincess Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    The BMI is based on the build of a petite woman. It has not be updated for years and depending on your BMI, it may seem a little crazy! My BMI says I should weight between 123-169 (I am 5'9"). For me, I aim for the top of my BMI. When I was 163 lbs., I felt like I was starving and ended up finding that 170 lbs. worked for me. I'm starting over from scratch though right now.

Don't get me wrong--the BMI is a good general outline of the healthy weight but based on your own body form, the lowest weight can seem impossible. Do what feels good for you :)

I'd disagree that BMI is for the build of a petite person, I'm a petite build and half my teenage years I was constantly "underweight" by BMI, but was told by doctors that BMI is for average builds and I was normal and fine.
    Just lose until you feel *healthy*, in my opinion people would end up happier trying to achieve frequent healthy eating and fitness, rather than just focus on their weight (myFITNESSpal, not myWEIGHTLOSSpal), but to each their own goals and respect for that! :)
  • xoeva
    xoeva Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Hi, I was aiming for a healthy BMI...and then read this article... I'd love to hear everyone's opinion on this... it's about an alternative to using a BMI measurement...did you know the BMI was created in 1850??? The part I didn't like about the article is how to measure your waist... perhaps the suggestion was only for men? comments?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health-and-fitness/health-advisor/never-mind-your-bmi-to-measure-your-health-its-all-about-the-waist/article17423160/comments/
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    IBW range (BMI) for me is about 160-200... My original set was 170, then I thought better of it and decided to bump it to 190 then 225... As I approached 225 and was nowhere near where I wanted to be, I dropped it to 210 where it is at the moment; I can foresee that eventually I'll probably knock it down to 200 or 199 (I have been 199 and was relatively comfortable there)... My REAL goal is a body fat goal more than a weight goal. If I were to be 100% honest I'll know my final weight when I find it in the mirror.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

The BMI is not based on the build of petite women. That being said, the lowest weight can be impossible for some - depending on the amount of muscle mass they have and their frame, which is why there is a pretty wide range.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Hi, I was aiming for a healthy BMI...and then read this article... I'd love to hear everyone's opinion on this... it's about an alternative to using a BMI measurement...did you know the BMI was created in 1850??? The part I didn't like about the article is how to measure your waist... perhaps the suggestion was only for men? comments?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health-and-fitness/health-advisor/never-mind-your-bmi-to-measure-your-health-its-all-about-the-waist/article17423160/comments/

Pick a number that seems reasonable based on where you are (you can use the top end of the BMI as a starting point) and then just reassess when you get near it, using the mirror as a guideline.
  • funkim55
    funkim55 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I am attempting to give myself a 10 pound leeway once I finish dieting. Thus, I am 5'4, and my BMI range between 117-145. I hope to get down to 135 and fluctuate between 135-145.
  • Kimberrh6
    Kimberrh6 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Thanks for correcting my statement about what the BMI is based on. It's more of a problem of what it doesn't entail.

http://www.livescience.com/40507-what-is-bmi.html

"One reason is that BMI does not take into account age and sex. Women tend to have more body fat than men of the same BMI, and older people tend to have more body fat than younger people of the same BMI, according to the CDC.

Additionally, BMI has no way of measuring where body fat is located in the body. Studies have shown that belly fat — fat around the abdominal organs — is far more dangerous than the peripheral fat beneath the skin in other areas of the body.

Finally, BMI doesn't consider bone density or muscle mass — highly trained athletes may have high BMIs because of increased muscularity"