Weight loss too fast?

Options
Is losing 11 pounds in a week too fast if you have a high metabolism?

Replies

• Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • Melisha82
    Options
    VERY MUCH SO. That is dangerous!
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Yes yes and yes. It is hard on the system. And not really possible unless you are doing something very extreme (real REAL low cal or major fitness stuff). Unless of course you have a lot of water retention and you lose like 5 lbs of water and 6 lbs of fat. That's still a big loss but not as hard on the body.
  • MyWishfulShrinking
    Options
    Yes that's a bit too fast...
  • MarilynMarie
    Options
    I havent felt good so I havent eaten as much as normal if i do it protein and i work out ALOT
  • jennylynn84
    Options
    Is it your first week and do you have a lot to lose?

With 80 lbs to lose, I lost 7 my first week. The water-weight shift can be drastic that first week, but if you're maintaining that kind of weekly loss... yes, it's too fast.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Is losing 11 pounds in a week too fast if you have a high metabolism?

If it is your first week and you have a lot of excess weight to lose it is possible as you have found. It could be a lot of fluid loss there.

I have to admit, I would be very surprised if that sort of loss were to happen again,it usually slows down to a regular one or two pound per week, some weeks more, some less.

Just do not expect 11 pounds loss on a regular basis, if ever again.

Make sure you eat nutritious food otherwise you will become deficient in some nutrients.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I lost 12 lbs in my first 2 weeks so it was mostly water...it's possible, but like others have said, you won't lose this much every week... it will be about 1-2 lbs per week.

Eat balanced. Veggies, whole grain carbs (whole wheat, rice, barley, oats, quinoa, etc.), lean protein (chicken, fish like tuna, salmon, tilapia, mahi mahi), and healthy fats (avocado, almonds, olive oil, fish, nuts, seeds).

You also need to make sure your work outs are varied as well. Don't just run, and don't just lift weights. You need cardio AND strength training to help you build muscle AND lose fat so you're not flabby and for a healthier BMI, heart, etc.
  • sinbad1971
    Options
    I lost my 19lb in 4 weeks but didn't weigh in the week before that when I actually started so I'm guessing that was probably my biggest loss, around half a stone I would guess, but then again I was around the 17 stone mark. 11lb is a hell of a lot of weight to lose in one week unless you have 100 pound or so to lose. Best to give yourself a sensible calorie limit and lose more slowly
  • MarilynMarie
    Options
    im 161 now and want to get to 100
  • bigman300
    Options
    My Boss is a Nutritionist, and we both work for a Tribal Nutrition Program and she told me that it would be safe for me to lose atleast 10-12 pounds in a Month. so, dont over exert yourself . Be Safe
  • jennylynn84
    Options

Do you mind if I ask how tall you are? That seems low...
  • MarilynMarie
    Options
    Im 5'4"
  • apetty21
    apetty21 Posts: 137
    Options
    With your height, 100lbs would put you underweight on the BMI index. That would put your BMI at 17.2 with anything under 18.5 as underweight. Honestly, 120lbs sounds like a healthier weight for you (BMI 20.6) but it all has to do with your over all health and fitness. I just wouldn't go that low without a dr telling me to do so.

http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/
  • cem789
    cem789 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    a calorie deficit of 38500 calories?

sorry some of it must be water
  • cem789
    cem789 Posts: 231 Member
    Options

im 5"4 also, rather than aim for 100 id aim for 108 :) keeps you in a healthy bmi, i was aimed at 105, but 108 looks good enough for me!
  • jennylynn84
    Options
    I see some people beat me to it, but 100 is below your healthy BMI range. I saw on your profile you have had a problem in the past (I have as well, so I know its drawing the line that can be hard). Definitely do not aim below healthy. Try setting something higher and see how you look and feel. But definitely don't aim for underweight.