Ways to make green smoothies taste better?

Options
Iknowsaur
Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
Hi all C:

I like to make a smoothie for a breakfast on the go, and it's usually the same one every day since (for me) it's the only one I've found that makes adding kale or spinach tolerable. I know I don't HAVE to add kale or spinach, but I'm a picky eater and I try to sneak greens into all of my meals as best I can.

Here's what I do -
1 cup fat free milk
1/2 cup kale
1 tsp coconut oil
1/2 tsp chia seeds
1 frozen banana
And a scoop of whatever flavor protein powder I have around, and/or 2 tbsp silken tofu

I'm kind of interested in trying this PB2 people keep talking about.
Does anyone have a really good fruit combo that hides the taste/texture of greens well? o:

Replies

• allikat399
    allikat399 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Pears and apples are good ways to hide green. Just be careful bc they can shoot sugar content and calories through the roof. I justify it by remembering at least its natural sugar and not refined sugar. You may have to shave a little off a later meal to compensate.
  • pinklark
    pinklark Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    This morning, my smoothie consisted of: spinach, strawberries, 1/2 a banana, 1 tbsp chocolate PB2, 1 tbsp unsweetened coconut and 0.5C unsweetened vanilla almond milk. I freeze all of my fruit and spinach, so my smoothies are always frothy and delicious!
  • helen8328
    helen8328 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I sometimes use apple juice instead of water which makes them tastes nice.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    I love the Oatmeal Blueberry smoothie,but there are lots to choose from

http://www.skinnytaste.com/search/label/Smoothies and Shakes
  • YorriaRaine
    YorriaRaine Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I find lemon juice helps cut the bitterness of kale.

Also, if you are not already, cut the stems off the kale, this helps improve the flavor immensely. There isn't much nutritional value in the stems anyway in comparison to the leaves part.

Also, I have found protein powder has helped the flavor of my green smoothies while also helping me get a higher protein count in the for the day.
  • Badassey
    Badassey Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    This is my go-to smoothie recipe:

1/2 cup kale
    1/2 cup Spinach
    1 cup Carrot juice*
    1/2 Apple (with skin)
    1 frozen Banana
    1 small container greek yogurt (I use Chobani Simply 100 Strawberry)
    1/2 cup plain greek yogurt (I buy the big tub of Fage 0% plain/unflavored)

*I buy my carrot juice from the grocery store near the Naked juice. I use Bolthouse Farms 100% carrot juice. It's awesome.

I pour the carrot juice, kale, spinach, and apple into the blender and blend on high for 1 minute (until SUPER ridiculously smooth), then I add the banana and blend for 15-20 seconds. Add the greek yogurts, blend for 30 seconds. Viola!

I swear it tastes just like the Naked Juice "Green Machine" - It's one of my favorite breakfasts. Also, I do buy my kale and spinach fresh, tear the leaves up, and freeze them in large freezer bags. When I'm making a smoothie, I just scoop out 1/2 cup from each bag and toss it in.

Here's the nutrition for one very large smoothie: (mine usually end up being 3.5-4 cups)
    Calories: 387
    Carbs: 72g
    Fat: 1g
    Protein: 28g
    Sodium: 280mg
    Fiber: 12g

It is pretty high in carbs - but they're pretty much all from fresh fruits, veggies, and the carrot juice (with only a small amount coming from the flavoring of the strawberry greek yogurt).
  • melyn11
    Options
    I add in frozen pineapple or mango to my green smoothies, pears when I have them.

My green smoothies also typically consist of: 1 carrot, 1 apple (small), almond milk, a scoop of raw honey, and protein powder.
  • akomantoso
    Options
    My go to is

1 Cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
    2 or more cups spinach/kale
    1 very small banana
    either 1/2 cup frozen blueberries or 1/2 cup frozen mango
    vanilla protein powder
    1-2 tablespoons chia seeds
  • Fat_Bottomed_Girl
    Fat_Bottomed_Girl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    bump
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Hi all C:

I like to make a smoothie for a breakfast on the go, and it's usually the same one every day since (for me) it's the only one I've found that makes adding kale or spinach tolerable. I know I don't HAVE to add kale or spinach, but I'm a picky eater and I try to sneak greens into all of my meals as best I can.

Here's what I do -
    1 cup fat free milk
    1/2 cup kale
    1 tsp coconut oil
    1/2 tsp chia seeds
    1 frozen banana
    And a scoop of whatever flavor protein powder I have around, and/or 2 tbsp silken tofu

I'm kind of interested in trying this PB2 people keep talking about.
    Does anyone have a really good fruit combo that hides the taste/texture of greens well? o:

Forget PB2 just add peanut butter!

My "normal" morning shake

1 cup almond milk
    1/2-1 cup spinach - Kale is wrong in every way
    1 banana
    2-3 Tbsp Peanut Butter
    1 scoop protein powder of the day
    1 small handfull of berries I have / or a slice of pineapple/pear/apple
  • GingerLee13
    GingerLee13 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I can't stand milk in green/regular smoothies. I use juice in my smoothies because I use honey in my tea and I try to watch my extra sugars.
  • FlyersGirlrc
    FlyersGirlrc Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have found that you can freshen up the taste of green smoothies by adding fresh spinach, cucumber, lettuce, fresh parsley and/or fresh lemon. Any of these ingredients help to freshen up the taste, and decrease bitterness, without adding carbs!
  • mistybkarma
    mistybkarma Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am literally drinking my very first green smoothie right now. I used a scoop of chocolate whey protein, Genessentials (1 scoop), a cup of mixed berries, and natural apple juice to make it smooth. Its pretty tasty!!
  • Saltfae
    Saltfae Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Powdered peanut ( especially the chocolate one) is magic. expensive magic. I find it makes everything taste good.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Well, since this thread has been resuscitated.... let me just say, that when I was doing some juice... that juiced kale tasted like *kitten*. And I couldn't find a decent way to hide the taste, so I just stopped juicing kale. No more *kitten* taste.
  • highlanderthedog
    highlanderthedog Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My hands down favorite green "monster"......
    Unsweetened vanilla almond milk, one tablespoon almond butter, half banana, scoop of Designer Whey vanilla almond protein powder and a handful of baby spinach.
  • mbitely2004
    mbitely2004 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    My usual breakfast is Green Tea, with some lemon juice kale strawberries and mango.
  • angelica_lisa
    angelica_lisa Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I use baby spinach and kale when I make my smoothies. I read somewhere that the baby kind doesn't have as strong of a taste as the regular ones. When I make smoothies I blend the following:

- Baby spinach or baby kale with 1/2 cup - 1 cup of almond milk
    - mixed berries or pineapple chunks (fresh pineapple when I can get it)
    - one banana

I never taste the greens when I use this combination.
  • maryjmac1
    maryjmac1 Posts: 10
    Options
    I use spinach, frozen mango, banana and water. If I have them I add oranges and strawberries.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    1 cup spinach,
    1 cup frozen mango chunks
    1 banana. Sometimes, 2.
    some coconut water. Not sure how much, i just pour it in.
    Optional: 1 mandarin, peeled.