from weight watchers to MFP

Options
So I have been doing weight watchers off and on for about 7 years. I started MFP a few months ago but really started tracking about a month ago. Comparing calories to points I was only eating about 950 calories a day on weight watchers for the past 4 months. I lost my first 14 lbs that way. Then I read my minimum should be atleast 1200. So I have been trying to stick with that on here as well. Since I have(three weeks) I have not lost any weigh (but looking more toned). My weight was stopped before switching from weight watchers for about a week as well. Is my body just adjusting to the increased calories? am I at a plateau? Ive been eating back exercise calories(100-300) day. Has anyone else made a successful transition from WW to MFP? What were your experiences?

Replies

• debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    I am a recovering WW addict. The biggest thing I have learned since starting MFP is that points does not equal well balanced, nutritional food. It was definitely eye opening when I saw how much sodium I was taking in.

1200 calories is minimum for proper nutrition. If you are exercising or having regular activity, that will increase the amount of calories you should take in. Did you use the MFP settings to determine what you should be eating based on your activity level?
  • SueTN2
    SueTN2 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I have been on WW on and off for years also and it is a great program. I lost 68 lbs and we had to move several times and it seemed hard to get back into it. I've gone back and lost 38 lbs that I had gained back and I just got bored with it. I am so glad I found My Fitness Pal it has really helped me keep check on fat, salt also.
  • Sweetie_darling
    Sweetie_darling Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Hey,

I lost about 30kgs on WW a few yrs ago. I found that once I got within 10kgs of goal it just wasn't working for me anymore (not just the program, my motivation too I'm sure). I've used mfp on and off since, but am finally in a place where I'm ready to commit 100% and get to goal.

I'm exercising much more and am in a better headspace for sure (tho I don't really think that's a WW vs MFP thing, just where I'm at). My experience is that the weight loss is slower but I'm so much more toned and have a much better relationship with food :)

Hope this helped a bit Xx
  • oceancruizer
    oceancruizer Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm switching over just this week and have already lost 3 pounds. But unlike you, WW was just not working for me and I wasn't really working the program. I've been back and forth with WW for so long that I think I needed something new. Good luck!
  • Point202
    Point202 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I've tried WW twice. Both times, I lost a little bit of weight at the beginning (maybe 10-15 lbs), but then as I would loose weight and the points would start to get lowered I started to feel hungry all the time. I'm insulin resistant, and I also never felt like my blood sugar was stable. I think I maybe lasted 4 months on WW at the most before giving up. I think the way the points are structured it doesn't allow enough protein to help you stay full longer.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I was successful with WW my first go around, lost 50 lbs 4 years ago. It was great.

Then I didn't keep it off cuz I just stopped WW.

MFP is a lifestyle change. It is easy to do and you dont feel like you are on a diet.

I would give it a little more time, your body could still be adjusting.

For long term success, Neting under 1200 is not the way to go.
  • nicolemontagna22
    nicolemontagna22 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    as far as what it tells me as my amount with activity it tells me 1200 if I want to lost two pounds a week. it tells me 1370 if I put in a half a pound a week. If I want to go right in between those amount at about a pound a week it still tells me 1200. so I have been keeping it at 1200 for the past two or three weeks. then eating back all of activity calories I earn
  • AwnoldVA
    AwnoldVA Posts: 5
    Options
    MFP is great. If I can't scan the barcode of something into it, I don't eat it. For produce especially, this forces me to buy things like apples by the bag so now I eat an apple or two everyday. Scanning food into MFP helps me keep track of everything (such as sodium) on a numerical level much easier and less guessing on the calorie count.
  • bethwr1
    bethwr1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I've done WW a few times, and always lost weight in the beginning. I think the program has become way too cumbersome - daily points, weekly points, fitness points, use fitness points for extra eating, etc. It's also sort to psychologically tough to see how few points you can eat if you don't have tons of weight to lose.

I really think the key is finding something you're comfortable with, seeing results based on your recorded behavior, and finding a good source of support.

At the end of the day, you have to be disciplined, eat well, and stay within some reasonable calorie intake parameters most of the time.
  • NanzyBoek
    NanzyBoek Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    MFP is great. If I can't scan the barcode of something into it, I don't eat it. For produce especially, this forces me to buy things like apples by the bag so now I eat an apple or two everyday. Scanning food into MFP helps me keep track of everything (such as sodium) on a numerical level much easier and less guessing on the calorie count.

This! Scanning is a fun option!
    WW costs money, this is FREE
    WW is a good program but this ones nice b/c you can look at more than just points or in MFP land calories
    I say just eat 1200 calories, if you workout out dont eat those calories and see if that makes a difference for you.
    Maybe you don't have anymore weight to loose?

Good Luck!
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    With less than 20 pounds to lose, trying to lose 2 pounds a week is too agressive. Your body likely won't support that rate of loss. My suggestion is to switch to a goal of half pound per week.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I have made a very successful transition from Weight Watchers to MFP. Weight Watchers was the best thing I ever did for my health. Prior to WW, I didn't understand or really cared to understand anything about portion control servings. I used to eat as I please, as much as I please, and always cleaned my plate. What I knew about weight loss and proper health wouldn't have fit into a bubble gum wrapper. I learned a lot about the way my body ticks and nutritional values. I lost 32lbs. on the program and never looked back.

I lost 7lbs. since transitioning to MFP on March 20, 2014. MFP breaks down nutritional value a little deeper than WW. I switched to MFP because it was free. I don't believe in paying for something when I could get the same or better for free.

Don't rush it. Scale back to about 1 lb. a week. Give your body the time it needs to do its thing.
  • kirna99
    kirna99 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi,

This is my forts day here after WW.
    Can someone please explain to me how to use this app. I would be really gratefull. I don't understand how to figure out callories.
    Thanks a lot!!!
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Can someone please explain to me how to use this app. I would be really gratefull. I don't understand how to figure out callories.
    Thanks a lot!!!

Your best start is to update your goals. Choose the "Home" tab, then choose "Goals". Once you enter all the information, it will provide you with your daily calories and nutritional gals. All you have to do after that is log food. You log food by choosing the "Food" tab and entering the food you eat. MFP will calculate the calories for you.
  • nicolemontagna22
    Options
    Im still going to stick it out and see what happens. I had a week and a half of not working out and food at events that caused me to gain since my original post but I gotta get back on track! im determined too.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Thanks a lot!!!

http://myfitnesspal.desk.com/
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I did WW a few times in the past. and lost about 20 lbs each time and then regained it. I HATED it. They are focused on the scale only to measure your "success" and I felt obsessed with food all the time on WW because if you have a slice of pizza, you can use up about 40% of your points for the day - ridiculous. It just made me feel deprived.

Using MFP and focusing on heavy weight lifting, I feel satisfied because the emphasis is on eating enough of the right foods, getting in enough protein, etc. instead of deprivation. I am losing 1 lb. per week and am never starving. This feels sustainable for a lifetime. WW did not.
  • nicolemontagna22
    Options
    I felt deprived on WW too. And the worse part is the more I lost the less I could eat. I couldn't imagine eating any less in a day. I also feel like I can participate in events on this plan and not ruin my calories that day!