Is it cheating when you don't record weight gains?

Options

Replies

• FatOldBat
    FatOldBat Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    As so many others have said, in effect: cheat schmeat. You're doing this to lose weight, so the only "cheat" would be on you, right?
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I don't think so. I weigh daily too and I'm up and down with the same stupid 5 damn pounds lately. I don't log it. As I always say....whatever works for YOU!
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I generally do not post my gains because if I did, I'd gain and lose 20lbs a month with my cycle alone. I didn't want to get "unearned" kudos from buddies on my list for losing weight I'd already lost.

This isn't a game, so you can't really cheat... but if you've boosted 10lbs or more and stated there more than a month, I'd add it because it impacts you calorie needs.

Me, I just log when I actually lose lower than my last recorded weight. The only times I post re-gains is after a long time... Like right now my ticker says 59. It used to say 66, but after my surgery in November, I gained back the 7 pounds and have been stuck for three months :(

This for me too. MFP keeps saying "woohoo! you lost more pounds!" No, I didn't, I dropped off some normal fluctuations again. I do weigh daily, but now only keep track of that in a second app that analyzes trends in an intelligible way.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I generally do not post my gains because if I did, I'd gain and lose 20lbs a month with my cycle alone. I didn't want to get "unearned" kudos from buddies on my list for losing weight I'd already lost.

This isn't a game, so you can't really cheat... but if you've boosted 10lbs or more and stated there more than a month, I'd add it because it impacts you calorie needs.

Me, I just log when I actually lose lower than my last recorded weight. The only times I post re-gains is after a long time... Like right now my ticker says 59. It used to say 66, but after my surgery in November, I gained back the 7 pounds and have been stuck for three months :(

This.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh myself daily to avoid any flucuations. Especially on a Monday when maybe I ate and drank a little more than usual on the weekends.

Why not weigh once a week or once every two weeks? It seems to be only optimistic for me.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I too only weigh once a week. The only time I record actual gains is when I know it's fact...ie over the holidays while I ate near or at maintenance...1.5lbs up was recorded even tho it was gone in 2 weeks...

Then the 4lbs gained on vacation even tho it was gone in less than 2 weeks.

I don't often see upward trends because I weigh once a week...I might not move down but rarely up...
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I only record my lowest weight, unless I've had a string of about 2 weeks of over eating (which I did recently). Then to get back on track, I record that weight and go from there.
  • cm1458
    cm1458 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    I dont always record gains because I can gain 5-10lbs overnight. (PCOS... Hormones are the worst) I record once per week (monday morning)
  • The_1_Who_Knocks
    The_1_Who_Knocks Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Is it just me? I weight my self daily and am on MFP like a shot to record weight losses, but almost never record gains here. Anyone looking at my weightloss graph would think that I had plateaued for 2 months when the reality is I have Matterhorn-ed. I am talking the 6lbs of weekend damage (several times over ) not the odd lb water retention.

Is this just me? Is it cheating?

No criticism of the daily weight-in. It works for me. I am intimtely aquainted with my bodys fluctuations and don't stress them. I know when I don't weight-in daily I am out of control with the cholla in one hand and chocolate in the other and if I had third hand it would be holding a bottle.

As long as you eventually hit a new weight it doesn't matter at all. I never record my weight until I hit a new low.
  • AmyZ46
    AmyZ46 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I only record my weight ( gains ) on Sundays . Sometimes I have gained during the week and secretly hope it goes down by Sunday . I record every loss ..hahaha:bigsmile:

Do what makes you feel good , If it's not recording gains then dont . But I feel that it makes me feel like I don't lose anything - like you stated it looks like you are in a plateau....

also I like looking at my graph with the ups and downs .it's so regular I feel like I learn something ? Like every time It goes up ,shorthly after it goes down and I love seeing that ....

Good Luck !
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, record my new lows here only, but record my daily weight on another app to see real fluctuations. Whatever works for you.
  • lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    Options
    I only record losses too, many people record the same weight loss over and over why? It seems more dishonest to me to lose 2 lb every week and to have lost a total of say 4lb after six months when you've recorded 52lb of losses?
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's cheating. Who exactly am I cheating anyway? Who is monitoring me other than me? I weigh myself nearly every day, so I see the fluctuations based on whether I had too much sodium, bathroom habits, my period, hard workout, too many carbs. I know the fluctuations. If I recorded each instance when my weight went up 0.5 or less, I'd be changing the ticker daily.
  • Dannikinz
    Dannikinz Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    For me, not logging weight gain is cheating.I do a weekly check in every week, so weight gain means that I was doing a behavior (or neglecting one) over and over and over again. I want to be as honest with myself as possible and logging in weight gain gives a small feeling of humility and reflection. It makes me hungry to prove that I can do better for myself.

To me, if you neglect logging in a weight gain, then you could also overlook that time you decided to eat 2 bags of cookies when only half a bag is a serving size.

So, yes. You do define what cheating is because it's YOUR journey. But I keep it 100% real. If I gained weight, it's because I earned it.
  • Breizier
    Breizier Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Everyone's definition of cheating is different.

Does it feel like cheating to you?

Kinda feels like head in the sand.

I think I am having a debate with myself about facing when I am doing badly; would it help to face the bad times or is that reinforcing failure. I am not sure.
  • 123stefania
    123stefania Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing....I just my weight when I go down...never when I go up.

So Its not Cheating!!!!
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Is it just me? I weight my self daily and am on MFP like a shot to record weight losses, but almost never record gains here. Anyone looking at my weightloss graph would think that I had plateaued for 2 months when the reality is I have Matterhorn-ed. I am talking the 6lbs of weekend damage (several times over ) not the odd lb water retention.

Is this just me? Is it cheating?

No criticism of the daily weight-in. It works for me. I am intimtely aquainted with my bodys fluctuations and don't stress them. I know when I don't weight-in daily I am out of control with the cholla in one hand and chocolate in the other and if I had third hand it would be holding a bottle.
    How is it cheating? Is it a contest?
  • Breizier
    Breizier Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I'd just record what you weigh once a week on the same day and time each week. I only record gains if they stick...which hopefully they don't. I don't record normal fluctuations.

That might be a way to help. I don't mind recording fluctuations if its just a little bit of water retention because you know what is going on, plus my mantra is 'weight loss is not linear', but far too many times I know how badly I have eaten and the weight does stick for a week or more. thats when the head in the sand starts.
  • freshstart180213
    freshstart180213 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Personally I report all I eat good and bad and will report gains and losses I dont think you can 'cheat'as such because in the end the only one you can cheat is yourself yes we cheer each other on but the changes and weight loss is purely for you
  • Left4Good
    Left4Good Posts: 304
    Options
    I don't believe so. My weight fluctuates sometimes like when i have too much salt. I just record it once a week and skip when i am on my totm.