GPS HRM or Ipod nano?

loxleys
loxleys Posts: 230 Member
edited September 22 in Health and Weight Loss
I can't decide what I should buy myself for xmas, a Garmin Forerunner GPS watch or an I-Pod nano?

I already have a HRM but it can't do the training plans like the forerunner and it can't download info to the computer. But i would love the new nano as my little 1gb shuffle is on its last legs - can the nano do any kind of training apps?

any info would be greatfully appreciated.

Replies

• MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    hmmm, what about an all out ipod which you can put aps on like tracking your runs etc?

(if it's the cost, maybe a delayed Cmas gift for yourself so you can save up? Check it out and see if it's worth it to you.)
  • goodjobrunner
    goodjobrunner Posts: 7 Member
    If you are running, I highly recommend the Nike+ band. If you have the iPod Nano, you can get the kit for that and it will let you know how far you have run or walked, pace, calories, time. If you don't have the iPod Nano (which I don't), I bought the Nike+ band for the wrist. Gives me the same info in the band. When done, you pull it apart and it is a jump drive. Stick it in your computer and it uploads all the info for you. You can join challenges online at Nike+ or set goals. I have LOVED it.

Check into it.
  • The Nike+ sensor comes with a wireless adapter for ipods like the nano that don't have built in bluetooth/wireless. i would assume you could use it with them. I have not tried it with mine to be completely positive. perhaps some research?

I however so use the sensor while I am on the treadmil and the gps app on my iphone when i am outdoors. Sometimes the sensors can be buggy and you do have to replace them every 1000kms sometimes sooner, apparently. The internal batteries die eventually.
  • carolww
    carolww Posts: 143 Member
    I would go the IPOD touch, if you like to have music while you run. There is a Nike+ GPS application, which tracks your run route, speed, elevation etc. I'm sure you can also download training plan apps - check out the itunes store. As well as that you have access to the Nike+ community as mentioned before, where you can join challenges, set up goals, training plans etc. I think there is even a HRM attachment you can buy to monitor your heartrate. On the downside - its a bit bulkier to have on your arm. But it does offer lots more than the garmin as you have access to all the Apple apps and stuff like that. Just my opinion. I think they are about the same price?
This discussion has been closed.