Time for a good ol' fashioned rant!

Options
12346»

Replies

• ParkerH47
    ParkerH47 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    OH, but next weekend when I finished my 5th Hustle UP the Hancock, I'll have a huge biscotti and not worry about the ingredients.

And, OP, don't fret this. This is a weight loss forum, not a health and nutrition forum. I think that may explain why so many people respond with such hostility or mockery to some posts.

And yet many of us learn and discuss health and nutrition here daily. What this is not is an environmentalist forum.

So are you saying I shouldn't have bothered even bringing it up? Just because I care about soil fertility doesn't make me a "environmentalist" and doesn't make me a pretentious person. Hence my whole frustration.

No, but I would argue that you should present nutritional reasons for your assertion.
    Okay sure. I didn't say anything because if I did you might have called me preachy instead.

Healthy soil = nutrient rich food = healthy people.
    While this isn't directly what I said, it is tied to it: choosing whole foods that are not heavily processed are better for your health. (http://m.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/03/science-compared-every-diet-and-the-winner-is-real-food/284595/#)
    Nutrient composition is much better if you are eating foods close to harvest - compared with foods that have been picked unripened and shipped thousands of miles per day
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    I love pretentious hippies. They can be down for some freaky ****.
    complains-about-chemicals-in-food-takes-acid-from-strangers-thumb.jpg
    To be fair, I don't know anyone who makes their own so someone has to take it from a stranger at some point...

Well, yeah but it comes from somewhere, so someone has to make it, right?

In the early 1970s my cousin tried to make some before a concert that we were going to. Not sure what went wrong but everyone dropping the acid that night (Lucky me - I got there late as usual and it was all gone) became violently ill and ended up in the ER. They didn't even get high. They kept telling our parents and the docs and nurses that they had food poisoning. I don't think the ER staff bought the story and I'm sure he ever tried that again.

Ym0jPJy.gif
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I don't disagree with you OP. I'm just saying that you're not going to get a supportive response here.

When we had a child I began to really think about environmental concerns. I don't think that I ever thought about how long it took for a plastic fork to degrade (100 years), or how many chemicals were in our food or in our environment.
  • ParkerH47
    ParkerH47 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I get you, kind of.

I'm a vegetarian, so I get called a hippie all the time. But I am kind of a hippie, so I guess it doesn't really bother me. People say lots of things about my food choices, especially now that I'm losing weight. Everyone has an opinion.

Food is a very personal thing, and I think what it comes down to is that no one really likes to have their food choices criticized. Food is obviously necessary for survival, but it's also emotional, social, and cultural, so I think it's natural that anyone might feel a little defensive when they feel that their food preferences are being challenged.

Buying local is great if it's a realistic option. We have a farmer's market in the spring/summer months, and there are lots of Amish around here, so buying groceries locally isn't too difficult or expensive. I generally enjoy and appreciate my food more when I know where it comes from and what went into producing it, but I'm certainly not a clean eater, and I do shop at the nearest grocery stores to get groceries. When it's warm, I sometimes ride my bike there. Sometimes I drive. Sometimes it's a convenience issue, sometimes it's because I want to buy something highly processed and pre-packaged (and delicious), and sometimes it's because I want a pineapple or a mango (ain't no way I'm getting either of those locally up here in Michigan).

And I try not to comment on other people's eating habits because it rarely has a good outcome. The way I eat makes me happy, and people who know me know that. If they have questions about my diet or want to make changes for themselves, they are always welcome to ask me any questions. They enjoy their food, I enjoy my food, and then we all enjoy ice cream or beer together. People only change for themselves, and only when they're ready. Just do what makes you happy and let other people do the same. :smile:

Great response! :flowerforyou: I totally agree :)
  • bettyjoburdett
    bettyjoburdett Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    BUT I also know - almost with 100% certainty we SHOULD know our farmers we SHOULD eat locally and seasonally, we should be eating pasture raised eggs etc etc etc.

Why?

I just wrote a bunch of stuff - read it over and I sounded like a pretentious hipster so I deleted it...

I'll say this though - what is better for the planet is often better for humans too.

*edited to change hippie to hipster* :flowerforyou:

Thank you my dear:flowerforyou:
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    While this isn't directly what I said, it is tied to it: choosing whole foods that are not heavily processed are better for your health. (http://m.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/03/science-compared-every-diet-and-the-winner-is-real-food/284595/#)
    Made me think of...
    tumblr_lon5josiZy1qzmr3jo1_500.jpg
    :P
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    It drives me CRAZY that people who want/choose to eat organically and locally or want to know their farmers or choose not to eat processed foods are considered pretentious hippies.

I'm not saying I eat like this all the time or even half the time. I DO NOT tell people they need to eat this way. I do not condemn processed foods as cancer causing garbage, I do not avoid that stuff - because it is part of an enjoyable life.

BUT I also know - almost with 100% certainty we SHOULD know our farmers we SHOULD eat locally and seasonally, we should be eating pasture raised eggs etc etc etc. And yet I get eye rolls and scoffs and people think its ridiculous. It has nothing to do with weight loss, I know enough to know that a calorie deficit is all you need. I'm just sick of feeling ashamed of wanting to eat "clean" or whatever the hell you want to call it. It doesn't take a genius to know that it is not ideal to be eating some of the garbage you can get these days.

Like I said, I do not eat perfectly, sometimes I eat cookies and crackers and cake and chips - but it doesn't change the fact that someone who chooses not to eat those things is considered pretentious or elitist or something.

okay. thats all, out come the trolls to argue. Its just my educated opinion...
    How do people know when to roll their eyes at you if, as you claim, you're not telling them?
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Made me think of...
    Uhoh, I loosed a turn!

(Or is that loost?)
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I think for SOME people it's seen as unattainably expensive to do that. Yes I know it's deeper than that. And it's not always more expensive.

I do make an effort to buy at least some of my food that is grown, raised, farmed locally. I even eat farm fresh eggs 90% of the time. But I have been to the local farmer's market and I've seen the $6 single tomatoes. I kind of get it.
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I agree with the OP. I also make an effort to eat as much local and organic food as I can. For my community and the health of the land, I think it's the best thing I can do.

AND yes I'm sure some people think I'm a hippie, but I don't care. We all have our own ways of doing things!

I could really get into this debate but I'm not going to!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    You seem to know what's best for all. It's not that you're a pretentious hippy it's that you come off as pretentious in general. Having been someone who grew up in agriculture I admire your choices greatly and your enthusiasm. However, simply knowing the names of your farmers is a bit naive.

For example back in the mid-80's I was making $10 an hour on weekends and in the summer doing farmer work, I had more rights as a farm worker in Ontario, Canada back then versus now. I put this same challenge to preachy vegans, vegetarians and paleo's who harass me in the store, are the workers making a living wage who produce this food?

I worked in agriculture out of college due to another recession and can tell you some of these allegedly awful corporations, at least here, pay their people well and have clear standards. One was a supplier of pork to Maple Leaf Foods, they had/have rigid quality standards and we were a closed herd. The salary was comparable to a factory job. Salaries in that sector haven't moved from there and some have dropped back.

So while it's great to know the name of your farmer's people would be well advised to find out if they treat their workers as humanely as you expect their animals to be treated, I guarantee you may be surprised on the answer to that.

Getting tired of this.

Dude, read the above post. It's not SHOULD like she's telling everyone they need to do it or that she knows what's best. It's like her conscience is telling her we all should, like it's good for the environment.

I know everyone should exercise.

I know I should brush my teeth.

I know we should try to feed starving, third-world people who don't have access to food.

She wasn't commanding anyone to do anything. She's saying we should like it's the right or responsible thing to do...

Actually, its not the same as your examples.

How the word "should" is used should be the same for all of them. Should like, I think it's probably the right thing to do, not like a mandate or command.

Okay, seriously gone now...

My comment has nothing to do with the use of the word should rather then 'right thing to do'. If you used 'right thing to do', my comment would still stand.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    OH, but next weekend when I finished my 5th Hustle UP the Hancock, I'll have a huge biscotti and not worry about the ingredients.

And, OP, don't fret this. This is a weight loss forum, not a health and nutrition forum. I think that may explain why so many people respond with such hostility or mockery to some posts.

Not at all.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

And yet many of us learn and discuss health and nutrition here daily. What this is not is an environmentalist forum.

So are you saying I shouldn't have bothered even bringing it up? Just because I care about soil fertility doesn't make me a "environmentalist" and doesn't make me a pretentious person. Hence my whole frustration.

If it's all about the environment, why the hyperbole about 'garbage' in your OP? Also, organic being more wholesome is debatable as noted by earlier posters.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/hormonal-responses-to-a-fast-food-meal-compared-with-nutritionally-comparable-meals-of-different-composition-research-review.html

Personally, I get fed up of people calling most of the foods I eat garbage. Maybe I will start a thread about it!
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Charlottesometimes23 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    your "shoulds" are a bit judgmental. Not everyone has your mindset. If this is your interest and passion...hooray! Doesn't make you morally or ethically superior.
    Or healthier, for that matter. Science has shown time and again that "organic" is just marketing, and there's very little difference from a nutritional standpoint.

Agree to both posts.
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Eye rolling, forum butt hurt, people judging you etc all comes about because of what you say and how you say it, not what you do. When you bang on about something that you do even if you are not telling others to do the same usually comes across as pretentious and annoying - that goes for the organic eating, farmers market types as well as the I eat lots of commercially processed food and I'm super fit types.

I grow a lot of my own fruit and veg, have backyard chooks, solar panels, worm farms the lot but I do it because it makes me happy not because I think it makes me a better person in anyway. I would never either here or in real life go on about it because it's irritating. I know people who do and yes I think they are pretentious hippies.
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    Made me think of...

OMG! Somebody get me a fax machine to smash!!

TbQFWbE.gif
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    'IRL'...
    I saw this when I let my dog out to relieve himself on the roundabout by the M1/A43...
    1959635_10151925899200689_1208647962_n.jpg