Pedometers and running v. walking

Options
My question is: Is there a pedometer that is smart enough to know the difference between running and walking and therefore use 2 different stride lengths? I want to accurately track mileage, not steps.

Back story:
I have a an Omron HJ112. I love it. However, it's not accurate when I run. The problem is that I have set my stride length for normal walking. When I run, I take fewer but longer steps. The device isn't smart enough to tell that I'm running so my mileage is short. I could change my stride settings every time I run, but that's a hassle.

Replies

• wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Do you have a smartphone?
  • charming12u
    charming12u Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I use a Garmin watch, or if I forget to charge it, map my run on my phone.
  • vaporhockey83
    vaporhockey83 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'd say Fitbit, but I haven't ran enough with it to know it it's getting the picture between walking/running. It does track "active minutes" where it knows you aren't just going for a leisurely stroll. You do have to measure both your strides in walking and running. After doing so, you input that info on the website where your Fitbit syncs and takes that in account. It seems to get the mileage just fine based on my walking. Maybe Google around and see if it's for you. I love mine, but I don't want to seem like I'm trying to pitch something to you based on my bias for it.
  • rwwalker78
    Options
    I used a Polar Loop activity tracking band and it definitely distinguishes between running and walking. It does not track mileage just steps, but the app will tell you how many minutes you ran, walked, stood, sat, and slept while wearing it. I really like it. I run with that as well as use the NIke app to keep track of actual mileage.
  • kerricus
    kerricus Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    No, I do not have a smartphone. The upkeep is too expensive for me.

Thanks for the info on Polar Loop and FitBit. Everyone seems to be talking about FitBit these days but I didn't know that you were able to input different strides. That makes all the difference.

I've tried googling but all the reviews didn't seem to address what I was looking for.

If anyone else has experience with a device they like, please share.
  • Allisonfitness99
    Allisonfitness99 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit and I love it! I would recommend it.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    No, I do not have a smartphone. The upkeep is too expensive for me.

Thanks for the info on Polar Loop and FitBit. Everyone seems to be talking about FitBit these days but I didn't know that you were able to input different strides. That makes all the difference.

I've tried googling but all the reviews didn't seem to address what I was looking for.

If anyone else has experience with a device they like, please share.

Not sure about your finances, but I do agree that the upkeep for some smart phones are too expensive, my cheap one with Virgin costs $50.00 plus tax per month - unlimited data/voice etc - includes calling all the States and the US Virgin Islands..
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    What is the upkeep of a phone?