WAY over weight and working out?

Options
I am way over weight. although I have lost a lot and need to lose more, what kind of workout do you do?
I have been mainly just walking, but at times my knees get sore.
what do you do?

Replies

• D_squareG
    D_squareG Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I have a bad knee. I use a recumbent bike. I can burn a lot of calories this way and I like it! Put on my favorite tunes and just go for it! And I always hated exercise.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Start weight lifting immediately. The fat loss will mostly come from your diet, it doesn't hurt to do cardio as well, but if you have weight to lose, you need to be lifting weights to retain as much muscle mass as you can while you burn away the fat
  • C3001
    C3001 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hello! IMO, a former dancer with now bad knees: punches (sitting/standing), pool (if you have access), stretch and strength yoga. Those are my top suggestions. Also, stationary bike with GOOD FORM (if you have access).
  • onechaoticrose
    Options
    Hey there! I have a bad ankle with a lot of hardware on both sides so I have the same problem with pain just walking outside. However - I am able to walk on a treadmill at a decent clip 2.8-3.0mph - I also use the elliptical and have started using the recumbent bike as another user mentioned. I also agree with another poster who mentioned beginning a weight lifting regimen - I've incorporated that along with my cardio and notice a big difference in my appearance and in my weightloss.
    Whatever you do, just keep going.... :)
  • Hiker_Rob
    Hiker_Rob Posts: 5,547 Member
    Options
    I started with just walking and eating less because my knees, and pretty much everything else, bothered me. As I dropped more weight (20lbs or so) started to walk longer and more frequently and I ate healthier, after I was down about 30 or 40lbs I started biking and walking (more biking than walking). The bike was great as there was little impact and I got a very good cardio workout. Since I got down to around 50 to 60lbs less, I have started running in addition to biking, which is something I never thought I would do, let alone be able to do!

For me it was all slow steps, it took me a year to get from where I was (300lbs) to where I am now. I am always working to improve my fitness through exercise and always strive to eat healthier, I'm still a ways from my goal weight but it is in sight. I went into this knowing that it was not going to be quick and took a relax and take it one step at a time approach.

Something I did not do that could have been very helpful is swimming, it is a great cardio workout with low (no) impact.

Edit: I forgot lifting too, it is also plays a big part in helping loose weight, a good combination of cardio and lifting makes a huge difference. I am currently at 2/3 cardio and 1/3 lifting but plan to shift it to 50/50 split of my time between the two.
  • marialydia
    marialydia Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Rowing! It's not weight bearing and works most of the main muscle groups. Swimming is also great but this super cold winter I just couldn't make myself get in the pool. Rowing is also pretty concentrated and gives pretty fast results.
  • Flossiesdoll
    Options
    Walking (in supportive shoes), weights, cycling, swimming.
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I'd say just walk or swim (if that's handy), until you drop the majority of the weight with a moderate calorie deficit. You don't need to beat yourself up with intense exercise-- just count your calories and eat responsibly.
  • BleedyPokes
    Options
    Add in some upper body strength training.

I had just the opposite problem... I'm was very limited with what I could lift with my upper body. But after incorporating some strength training with my lower body and core I was finally able to start noticeably losing weight. Cardio alone works up a great sweat and gets your heart pumping, but sometimes our body needs a little something extra!

Good luck!
  • JDubIsShrinking
    JDubIsShrinking Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Start weight lifting immediately. The fat loss will mostly come from your diet, it doesn't hurt to do cardio as well, but if you have weight to lose, you need to be lifting weights to retain as much muscle mass as you can while you burn away the fat

THIS!

Go with what you're comfortable with (walking, biking, swimming, anything!). But yeah... this fat loss business is mostly diet related. Cardio will also absolutely help, but weights will help maintain the muscle mass that you have.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    I'm excessively heavy, and these are my go-tos because my knees can't tolerate the impact of my weight during walking just yet:

1. recumbent stationary cycling
    2. warm water aquatics (check local rehab centers, they sometimes have public classes that you can enroll in with a discount if recommended by a physician)
    3. yoga

A lot of people don't understand that the very heavy people of this world often have excessive muscle mass as well as fat. It's certainly the case for me. Lifting for bulk is definitely not necessary, but some weight bearing exercises could help. You could try strengthening the legs by using things like a leg press machine and work your way up to body weight.

I 100% agree that depending on how much we're talking, there really isn't need to aggressively work out... Not lifting, and not cardio. I cycle a lot because I enjoy it and it helps my chronic pain, but the burns are ginormous and I know that it's not really helping me to burn so much, because I can't eat enough to make it "okay."

Definitely get a measuring tool for your calorie burns that is more accurate than a pedometer. Even a HRM can be inaccurate for the very heavy.
  • gina_nz_
    gina_nz_ Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Definitely try swimming or water walking or water aerobics if you like the water, at your local pools :)
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I do started by walking, zumba and HIIT workout classes at the Y. Then I replaced the HIIT with weight training. Diet and consistence are KEY! Add me if you like
  • gonefishin1282
    gonefishin1282 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Another vote for lifting. I started off thinking I would run miles and miles on the treadmill. I didn't realize I was netting under 1000 calories in for the day which is a huge no no. I gave up the treadmill except for when I do eat over my goal, and now stick to strictly lifting and lifting heavy with a calorie deficit. The weight is still coming off and I am still maintaining my lean muscle mass.
  • Pusarah
    Pusarah Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I wish there was somewhere close with an indoor pool but not an option. I joined a gym 3 weeks ago and am enjoying it a lot. I have a lot to lose. I do the bikes, weights and treadmill but find I can do longer and harder on the bikes right now. I am gradually building up on the weights (using machines for now but will move to free weights after reading everything on mfp)
    Just moving is a first step and it will be all the better if its something you can enjoy. Music helps a lot, if I can't go to the gym I will try and do walk away the pounds on youtube, usually twice a day if I can fit it in...and I do try and make it a point.

GL! :)
  • picklesroofus
    picklesroofus Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I started with walking only
    Now I do pilates at home and yoga at home and walk

sometimes I will do a low impact tae bo because i live in a apt

i think my platella maltracks because I used to get pain and swelling if I run or especially uphill running (3-6 m ago)- I get a small supraplat effusion and sharp grinding pains.

money spent on gym or supplies : 0
    time spent going to or from gym : 0
    pain in knees : 0
    apartment complains: so far.. 0
  • bonoeuf
    bonoeuf Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Working with weights and some cardio. As has been said you want to cut the muscle loss to a minimum, so using heavy weight will help this. Do some cardio, an elliptical, rower, or walking. Get those muscles working hard and repair them with plenty of protein. Good luck
  • slimbettie
    slimbettie Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I started by playing games on my xbox kinect, then moved to hip hop abs, and now doing turbo fire. I do what I can, and modify as I go along. Take breaks where I need to. As long as you are moving, that is the most important. The other day I did a "fitness check" at a gym, and the guy said to me that walking is still the best exercise to burn fat. well, there you go!
  • Vixster76uk
    Vixster76uk Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have bad knees when I exercise! They are not too bad if I don't. I started insanity last year where I realised how bad they were after 6 weeks I could not bear the pain, oh and the fact I could not sit, stand or walk......not pleasant. Started the t25 on Monday and I am doing the modified version. My knees don't hurt and I have lost 4 lb. still a few to go but feel I can keep it up. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
  • wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I started well over 300 lbs and decided to try swimming. It is great for someone who has physical difficulties while doing other exercise. I do an hour a day 5-6 days a week. Makes me feel great, more agile, and I sleep much better. Also helps to not feel depressed.