Is it normal to gain weight doing weights?

Options
2»

Replies

• LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Exactly--I wish people didn't keep saying that muscle weighs more than fat.
    I wish people would stop misreading it and inserting "one pound" on their own and acting like this is automatically the unit of comparison between two things. Especially when using "one pound" as a unit of comparison completely nullifies the whole point, so clearly that is not what is being compared.

If someone said "gold is more valuable than silver" would you tell them that $1 worth of gold is just as valuable as $1 worth of silver?

I understand what the person who posted this was going after, and that is that the comparison isn't weight related, it's density related, which is quite different. So to say "muscle weighs more than fat" is not a true or accurate statement, without a relative comparison (volume/surface area). 1lb. of feathers weighs the same as 1lb. of metal, but the volume or surface area of each will be markedly different. :)
    There you go adding in the "1lb to 1lb" assumption again. It's not there, and there is absolutely no reason to add it in. It's just a strawman.

Since you're comparing the relative weights of two things that are not found in one pound increments or any standard unit increments, (you're not comparing "one muscle to one fat") it's pretty obvious that the only thing left to compare is by equal volumes. How else would anyone choose to compare fat and muscle? The other 99% of the world knows that "by volume" is the method of comparison, for the same reason that we know comparing the value of gold and silver is not "by the dollar."
  • MermaidChele
    MermaidChele Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Replying to the 1 pound of muscle equals 1 pound of fat:

Of course 1 lb of muscle equals 1 lb of fat. They are both a pound. That is like saying what weighs more a ton of feathers or a ton of bricks? They both are a ton so they weigh the same. :huh: Perhaps a better way to put it is, if you take an amount that is a Baseball size of strictly Fat and a Baseball size of strictly Muscle which one is going to weigh more. The Baseball with the Muscle! So if you are gaining weight even though you are eating right and have started working out then I would say, yes, it is most likely muscle so don't give up. This happens to me too.
  • erinokelley116
    Options
    Yes, because your different muscle groups are inflamed (sorry may be wrong word), but they are worked out they add more weight because you are earning more muscle. Sorry if I got this all wrong
  • PositiveOne8925
    PositiveOne8925 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for telling me about that website ..have learned a lot from it already :)
  • gmove
    gmove Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    MUSCLE DOES NOT WEIGH MORE THAN FAT! 1 lb of muscle weighs the same as 1lb of fat! However, 1 lb of muscle takes up MUCH less space that 1lb of fat. Also, it takes about a yr for a woman to gain roughly 5 lbs of muscle (give or take), and that's if the diet is in point and she consistently lifts HEAVY in the gym.

Yes. A big pet peeve of mine! One pound is one pound.