How did you set your goal weight???

Options
Why do you have the goal weight that you do? I see so many people close to my height (5'9.25'') whose goals are anywhere from 5-30lbs heavier or lighter than mine...It always makes me feel like I need to lose more...& it's a bit discouraging to be honest.

My current/tenative/subject to change goal weight is 160
Thanks in advance for your response!!!

Replies

• caitlinclock
    caitlinclock Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    My goal weight is 5 pounds more than my lowest weight (when I was in high school) but I had no muscle back then, really. I figure that's a good goal to have and then I can reevaluate once I get there.

Also, if it helps, I'm 5'5" and I'm aiming for 150lb. That's just within a healthy BMI for my height.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I set mine for what I weighed in college which is also the high side of my healthy weight range. It also ended up being an even 100lbs loss. Once I get close to it I will probably readjust it.
  • Dom82
    Dom82 Posts: 235
    Options
    my ultimate goal weight is pretty spot on for me. I've been that weight before and I don't look too skinny and still have some of my curves. But i know what you mean, i know people my height whos goals are to weight a lot less then my goal weight. I think it depends on how your body is set up as well. some people have a smaller frame then others.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,983 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: I set my goal at the top of the healthy weight according to my BMI and gradually lowered it as I realized that I could lose the weight and that I wanted to be a lot slimmer......goal weight is a very personal thing and subject to revision as you go along.......some days when I see the actresses on TV, I think I should lose another ten pounds:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: but then I get back to reality and am happy with the goal I've set. :bigsmile:
  • wyze
    wyze Posts: 248
    Options
    My goal weight is 160 and i am 5,8. i chose it cos on the weight chart, that is a healthy weight for my frame and height. I think thats the best way to choose a weight goal. 160 is at the higher end of the weight for my height and my goal is not to be skinny, but healthy. Its up to u to decide
  • heatypablo
    Options
    I set my goal weight per a nutritionist/fitness trainer. Supposedly, I'm too muscular to be at the goal I wanted... :grumble: we'll see though! :tongue:
  • smashpants22
    smashpants22 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Honestly... sounds strange but in a magazine I saw a photo of Blake Lively with her height and weight. She was the same height as me, I liked how she looked, goal weight set haha. So i'm aiming for 62kgs, or 136 pounds. I'm 64 now, not long to go! :)
  • CGerman
    CGerman Posts: 539
    Options
    I'm aiming to get back into a size 8, which is where I was when I got married. I guesstimated my goal weight based on that. As I get closer I'll evaluate if that's where I want to be.
  • billylindsay
    billylindsay Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Look at yourself where you are in life age etc and make a conscious informed and realistic decision about where u want to be. I fought light middleweight in the forces there's no way am getting back to 10 1/2 stone. Plus it's can always be changed if your happy and comfortable at any stage. Good luck.
  • Tamishumate
    Tamishumate Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    i picked one that was a healthy BMI.Starting off with so much to lose it was hard to pic a weight, cause losing anything would have been great, or make me feel better , so that was how I picked it!
  • orting514
    Options
    They talk about BMI and everything, personally i go by the charts, ie: a healthy weight range for my height and age, then i aim somewere in the middle, because the lowest weight on the chart will make me look like a skeletin.:happy:
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Initally I deceided to use the middle of the "healthy" weight number, but in actually I won't use a number on the scale but how I look in the mirror and how I feel mentally and physically. It's no good to be a certain number on a scale if you feel tired and punked out all the time. And really, are ya gonna carry the scale around with you all day to show people your magic number? The BMI doesn't take into account muscle mass, either...
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    I set mine at what I was for 20 years before illness saw 7 stone pile on. When I get close to goal I will review my goal weight, i'm the wrong side of 40 and vanity means I would rather have a few extra pounds on my backside than look older than I am.
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Why do you have the goal weight that you do? I see so many people close to my height (5'9.25'') whose goals are anywhere from 5-30lbs heavier or lighter than mine...It always makes me feel like I need to lose more...& it's a bit discouraging to be honest.

Thanks in advance for your response!!!

I am the same build as my very slender sister-in-law who is the same height as me. My goal weight is what she weighs, but I just have to evaluate as I go along and see if I look good and feel good at that weight.

It's hard to compare to people who aren't built like you because we all carry weight differently and have varying body compositions. I've seen many girls my height who look hefty at 130lbs (my goal weight), but I already am looking pretty slender at almost an additional 15lbs right now. Muscle/bone/fat/proportion vary too greatly to try to truly compare to others.

My advice is make a good guess and evaluate in the mirror as you go along. :)
  • achbarrow
    achbarrow Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    My goal weight right now is 150lbs which is about 10lbs under the highest weight for healthy BMI at my height. I'm 5'7" (well 5'6 3/4" :tongue: )My goal is to get to a healthy weight and then reassess my goal and see if I want to stay there or lose a little more. I do not ever plan to go below 130lbs. I saw a picture of someone around my height at this weight and it scared me, she was sooooo skinny. I want to have nice curves. But like some have said those are just numbers on the scale that no one sees but you, and maybe your doctor. I have goals like fitting into a size 8 jean since I've never worn anything in the single digits and I have no idea what weight that is and with my hips who knows...it may never happen. As long as I'm healthy and happy with what my body looks like that's really what's important.
  • SandraMay1982
    Options
    BMI calculator.

I am about 5'3 and 140lbs (60kgs) is the top end of the BMI scale for me. I have always been "thick" as a child, not fat. So I don't know if I will make it any lower. Apparently for my height can I afford to get down to 47kgs. which. I think my left leg weighs that much right now. hahaha.

So since I have nothing to go by and was 80kgs when I was 16. I figure a high end BMI would be nice.
  • Dom80
    Dom80 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I set mine based on what the bmi sets as a healthy goal weight
  • dancer77
    dancer77 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I looked at what I weighed at my lowest, my body frame, and my BMI healthy range. I'm 5'3" and have a small frame so my ugw is pretty tiny. The range thing says I could be between 104-141lbs. I recommend looking at your weight history and see if there is a weight you were happy with or a role model who is attainable.....but it really is a personal thing ;)
  • sunbeam11
    Options
    I set mine based on my prior healthy weight. I think how much muscle you build could affect that number quite a bit. I wasn't very muscular at that time, so as I get closer I'll see if I need to adjust it.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I use the ideal weight formula that I was taught in my exercise physiology program.

Ideal weight = Lean Body Mass / (1 - Desired Body Fat %)

So, my ideal weight is:

140 / (1 - 0.2) = 140 / 0.8 = 175 pounds