BACON Broth or Stock

Options
"Bacon Broth" or "Bacon Stock" would be a huge profit opportunity for anybody who could produce that for commercial distribution....I'd buy it in a heartbeat to use for base in Split Pea Soup or any kind of Bean Soup eh! So why hasn't agribusiness or food.inc discovered this gold mine? OR If they have PLEASE point me to where I can buy it in ONTARIO CANADA EH!:tongue:

Replies

• susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Why not make it yourself? Most broths can be canned or frozen without difficulty.

Googling found a recipe -- http://blog.ideasinfood.com/ideas_in_food/2007/05/new_beginnings_.html
  • lizwizCYLS
    lizwizCYLS Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Why not make it yourself? Most broths can be canned or frozen without difficulty.

Googling found a recipe -- http://blog.ideasinfood.com/ideas_in_food/2007/05/new_beginnings_.html

Great! THANK YOU for that bit of research....I'm a dismal cook but I have many chefly type friends who just love to practice on me so I'll point them there AND while you were helping me out I googled too & found a recipie too called "BACON YOU CAN DRINK THROUGH A STRAW" LOL

Bacon stock
    Ingredients (makes about 1L):
    • 350 g bacon, diced quite small
    • 1 tsp tomato paste
    1. Cook the bacon slowly in a large heavy-bottomed pot until it is deeply caramelised. Expect this to take a while. Pour off any fat and return to a medium heat.
    2. Add the tomato paste and cook for 1 minute, then top up with 1.5-2 L (6-8 cups) of water and bring to a medium simmer. Simmer for 2 hours, then pour through a fine mesh strainer.
    A few notes: Dicing the bacon before cooking means that there will be more delciously caramelised surface area to infuse into your stock. Don't add any salt to it either (you shouldn't be adding salt to your base stock anyway) as the bacon and tomato paste are already pretty salty. Finally, bacon can be very fatty, so you will want defat it. Either cool it in the fridge overnight and strain out the solidified fat, or pour the broth into plastic bags then snip off the bottom corner to let the clear broth drain out leaving the floating fat inside the bag & throw that out….no messy hands either.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    With defatting (for any stock), I found it easiest to just let the entire thing congeal, then use a flat spatula to scoop off the congealed fat. My chicken stocks tend to be VERY gelatinous when cold though.

FWIW, I don't throw the fat out, I keep it, and anytime I might use a tablespoon of butter for frying/sauteeing/base for white sauce/anything else I just toss in a tablespoon of this instead. I track it as a tablespoon of butter, I figure both of them are pretty much pure fat so I can't be that far off. It keeps very well.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    With defatting (for any stock), I found it easiest to just let the entire thing congeal, then use a flat spatula to scoop off the congealed fat. My chicken stocks tend to be VERY gelatinous when cold though.

FWIW, I don't throw the fat out, I keep it, and anytime I might use a tablespoon of butter for frying/sauteeing/base for white sauce/anything else I just toss in a tablespoon of this instead. I track it as a tablespoon of butter, I figure both of them are pretty much pure fat so I can't be that far off. It keeps very well.

Oh yes, I do this too (and keep duck fat) - amazing to use when roasting veg
  • lizwizCYLS
    lizwizCYLS Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    GREAT SUGGESTIONS Thanks both of you!....BTW susannamarie's bacon recipe find is MUCH better than mine :smile: