proein powder on food stamps

Options
Question is for U.S. users obviously - a friend of mine gets EBT/Food Stamps for her family, she is on MFP working on her diet, starting to workout, etc, and she is interested in incorporating protein shakes on occasion - she is wondering if it is possible to purchase protein powder with link? I was thinking it might be possible but then again maybe not if it is categorized as a supplement and not a 'food'? Just wondering if any MFP people have any personal experience/information that I could share with her?

Replies

• lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    I would assume that you can get them since i know you can buy protein bars with food stamps so don't see why you wouldn't be able to buy the powder, especially since its in the same isles usually... I guess every store is different as well. Couldn't hurt to look around on the stores website or some other useful information site about food stamps.
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    If I had a family to support and was poor enough to be on public assistance, I would not use my food allowance on protein powder for myself at $15 (at least) a tub. Really? $15-$20 could buy 3-4 meals for my family. Sounds pretty selfish to me. I don't care how many feathers get ruffled here. Stuff like this makes me mad! So how many kids does she have? No, nevermind. I don't want to know....anyway, if she really wants to up her protein tell her to buy chicken or ground beef on sale. 4 oz. of chicken or ground beef has just as much protein as 1 scoop of protein shake! At least her kids can eat the food too......and its way cheaper.
  • crybaby2384
    crybaby2384 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    You are not going to offend me. She asked and I am trying to help her. You are right she could go buy meat or something like that, but protein powder is fairly healthy. Not everyone can eat meat though. Some people actually have trouble gaining or maintaining weight due to health reason such as Parkinson's. Some people can not chew up the meat so a protein drink would be a healthy alternative. This isn't for me so I am not 100% sure what to say.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    From what I understand, if the label says "Nutritional Facts", it is covered by food stamps. If the label says "Supplemental Facts" it is not eligible.
    Nothing wrong with using EBT for protein or anything else you may need, you just budget for it like anything else. I never understood why people always feel the need to tell others what they can or can't buy with their food stamps.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    If I had a family to support and was poor enough to be on public assistance, I would not use my food allowance on protein powder for myself at $15 (at least) a tub. Really? $15-$20 could buy 3-4 meals for my family. Sounds pretty selfish to me. I don't care how many feathers get ruffled here. Stuff like this makes me mad! So how many kids does she have? No, nevermind. I don't want to know....anyway, if she really wants to up her protein tell her to buy chicken or ground beef on sale. 4 oz. of chicken or ground beef has just as much protein as 1 scoop of protein shake! At least her kids can eat the food too......and its way cheaper.
    Don't know about over there, but here protein powder is a really cheap way to get protein compared to other options, even cheaper the more you buy at once. If I was stone broke I would actually have more money to feed my kids full meals if I relied more heavily on protein powder. Its not like we are talking about trying to buy fat burners on food stamps or something.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    OP is this just for herself or would her children also be using it? I guess if you cant find any other source of protein and your limited in choices maybe my face will quit twitching for a second.

Maybe on second thought it is better then some other junk people buy. Is she trying to improve the overall quality of her family's diet?
  • dixoncrew
    dixoncrew Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    As long as it says "Nutritional Facts" on the back and not "Supplement Facts." I know it's been posted on here before...
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Yes you can. I found it strange when I saw someone doing it, but if you think about it, the protein powder will stretch much farther than junk food as far as satiety is concerned. So I think it makes sense.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    ...Nothing wrong with using EBT for protein or anything else you may need, you just budget for it like anything else. I never understood why people always feel the need to tell others what they can or can't buy with their food stamps.

Agreed. I'd rather she spent it on protein powder than on chips, donuts and fruit punch. But as long as it's within the guidelines of the program, it's none of anyone else's business what she buys...I think most protein powders are labeled as supplements, though. I've never used food stamps, though, so I don't know if there are any versions that are approved for the program...

* For those offended by the idea of using protein powders instead of buying cheap meat, I have a digestive disorder that when it flares up, I have to use protein powder because I can't eat a normal diet. Protein powder is not necessarily just a luxury item that only certain people deserve to use.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Just had a look in my pantry, cellucor and gaspari myofusion are labelled with "nutrition facts" so she might be in luck with those ones.
  • tkcasta
    tkcasta Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Don't know about over there, but here protein powder is a really cheap way to get protein compared to other options, even cheaper the more you buy at once. If I was stone broke I would actually have more money to feed my kids full meals if I relied more heavily on protein powder. Its not like we are talking about trying to buy fat burners on food stamps or something.

^^ Beat me to it. If she is single and/or its just for her then protein powder is a great way to get protein for cheap.
  • ShannK210
    ShannK210 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I went to my local Target today and used my food stamps on a tub of the Market Pantry whey protein powder in vanilla. I was very surprised and pleased. It tastes very good. I'm trying to get more protein, since my hair is thinning and I'm thinking my diet is probably what's causing it.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I don't actually know the answer to the question.

But if, for some reason, you can't get protein powder with food stamps, you still have a wide variety of foods high in protein available. I prefer to get protein in normal food sources. I've flirted with the idea of getting powder to use sometimes, but I just never have trouble hitting my protein goals. Something to consider.
  • wife228
    wife228 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I full agree that protein powder should not be allowed on food stamps.
  • jaxxie
    jaxxie Posts: 576 Member
    Options

Pretty sure this wasn't intended as a debate but rather an honest question to help someone who is trying to help themselves. Having said that, I agree with previous posts that True Protein from Meat etc. is best for the 'family'. On the other hand, that wasn't the question. I know that in some States, only CRAP FOOD is allowed using EBT. For example, if you would like a head of lettuce...OUT OF LUCK, not allowed. BUT if you want some good old fashioned processed cheese, no problem. So, I'm guessing it is all relative. Good luck to your friend, no matter what....I wish him/her the best.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    * For those offended by the idea of using protein powders instead of buying cheap meat, I have a digestive disorder that when it flares up, I have to use protein powder because I can't eat a normal diet. Protein powder is not necessarily just a luxury item that only certain people deserve to use.
    Have you considered not eating meat?
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

I was going to say something like this.... 1 tub of protein powder is usually like 30 or so servings, i.e. 30 meals for an adult. That would actually be a lot more meals than the 3-4 meals for the kids that you'd get from spending the same amount of money on chicken. granted the protein powder isn't for the kids, but if she's saving money on her own meals by having some of them from protein powder, that will equal money saved to be spent on the kids' meals.
  • jaxxie
    jaxxie Posts: 576 Member
    Options

I really hope you are joking.

I was going to say something like this.... 1 tub of protein powder is usually like 30 or so servings, i.e. 30 meals for an adult. That would actually be a lot more meals than the 3-4 meals for the kids that you'd get from spending the same amount of money on chicken. granted the protein powder isn't for the kids, but if she's saving money on her own meals by having some of them from protein powder, that will equal money saved to be spent on the kids' meals.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

Why not? Aren't poor people allowed to be healthy too? Or is caring about your health and nutrition something reserved only for the wealthy?

1 tub might be expensive but it's actually around 30 meals in the tub, and it works out cheaper than other kinds of protein in the long term. Or is long term budgeting, i.e. buying something in bulk that will last a long time and save money over time a luxury only reserved for the rich?

Protein powder is food. That's all it is. It's not like buying cigarettes with food stamps or something....
  • pattypittman
    pattypittman Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Is there any reason that kids may not drink protien powder?? Back in the day when I had foodstamps, I would get protien powder. It was a great way for the kids to have a shake before they ran out the door to school, or a shake they would bring with them. I would toss in some frozen fruit that I got in huge bags which would cut down the cost. You can also make protien bars and peanut butter protien balls that kids can grab and go. The **** they feed the kids in school is horrible.