Can burning fat release toxins and make you sick/sluggish?

Options
2»

Replies

• Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    This may be an old thread but it's been the funniest thing I've read for a while.
    Anything that someone read "somewhere" is fair game.
  • csontos
    csontos Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Oh my lord. Can somebody please tell me what these "toxins" are?
  • Samby_v1
    Samby_v1 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    f6due.gif
  • p_s1984
    p_s1984 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I had another symptom that had to do with Estrogen. As you exercise your estrogen levels start to drop since the fat holding the "toxins" go away and the Estrogen gets released from the cell. Get the picture? Its a female issue. Anyways, yes, fat cells hold many things. I have had the hungry thing, the sick thing and the estrogen thing. Working out is awesome since now you don't have those yuckies in your body :)
  • p_s1984
    p_s1984 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    P.S.---I don't hold a PhD or anything, but I realized the human body is very complex and hormones play a big part in how your body feels :)
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    Yes, that can absolutely happen.
    Please explain.

Things like hormones ie: estrogen and fat soluble vitamins, to name a couple, do in fact get released into the blood stream as we "burn" fat cells and force structural alterations to these stores. Depending on how quickly you release these fat soluble chemicals, you can suffer a variety of issues... Whether it be general lethargy and irritability to full blown cold/flu symptoms... all the way to (in females) the manifestation of ovarian cysts and cycle alteration due to the estrogen influx. Then, after you purge these things, your body can go through a period of withdrawal, as it's status quo amount of these substances has dropped significantly, which can then cause you to feel ill for a whole new reason.

It all balances out in the end for most people, but some of us have a bunch of problems along the way. Me, I have lost 1/3 of my babymaker to these issues, and continue to have issues. Almost like clockwork, I've landed in the hospital every 30 pounds of fat loss. Then I deal with regains. Very much 2 steps forward one step back but it's the price some of us pay for treating our bodies like trash for years.
  • Quarkles
    Quarkles Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    75f85ecfe770ee3303874c6e2656028de93d38af6d3c59aa6b3fd6d93c8a21d4.jpg

Seriously, this thread makes my brain hurt.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options

Well that's unfortunate. My statements are from firsthand experience. I've got the medical records to prove it :P hahaha
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    75f85ecfe770ee3303874c6e2656028de93d38af6d3c59aa6b3fd6d93c8a21d4.jpg

Yep.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    In, for toxins.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I'm just wondering if anyone's heard this before. For the last week, I've felt really tired and just sick (with out actually being sick, no cough, no stuffy noise, no fever etc)

Well, I guess my husband was talking about me at work (nice to know huh lol), and one of the girls he works with says that when you burning stored fat, sometimes it can release toxins stored in your fat cells from the food you were previously eating (if you were guzzling down soda & Wendy's Triples for the last 6 months...kind of thing), and can make you feel just as icky as if you actually ate those foods again, even if you didn't.

I've never heard that before, but I thought I'd ask, to see if anyone else has heard something like that.

The answer to your question posed in the title is no. Random husband colleague doesn't know what she is talking about.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    TEH TOXINZZZZZ!!!!11!
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Common falacy to associate things your mind is occupied by (in this case fat loss) with any feelings you may be experiencing at that time. Negative feelings or feeling ill will tend to become the focus of ones attention since it is concerning. Starts with the mind correlating the two and follows by suspicuon of causation. Way to spot when this is the likely source is when all evidence provided of the supposed causation is completely anecdotal. Having bad stuff happen to you during weight loss does not in and of itself demonstrate causation. If there is an epidemiological study that provides causitive evidence please provide but personal anecdote is the lowest form of evidence and I do not find it convincing at all.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

First, the exogenous toxins, (Things from outside the body)

Environmental toxins, like pesticides, heavy metals, prescription and non-prescription drugs, residues from food processing, VOCs from paint, glues, etc around your house, chemicals from your household cleaners and deodorizers, food additives, by products of high heat food cooking, etc.

When people from all around the world get fat biopsies, these environmental toxins are found in the fat. This is not news.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1845365/pdf/brmedj02584-0011.pdf
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2481028/
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1008301/

Then, of course, there are endogenous toxins, which are normally occurring substances in the human body, that may become a problem when there is excess. Things such as CO2, cholesterol, uric acid, urea, sodium, etc.

Exercise and fasting both cause these toxins to be released from the fat cells where they are stored, and then the body mobilizes and removes them. This can be an unpleasant process. If moderate exercise alone causes such a rapid detoxification that you get sick, you could try starting with a water only fast. The most important thing you can do to avoid exposure to these toxins is to eat a diet rich in fruits and vegetables, and very light on anything processed, and animal foods. Remember, animals store their toxins in their cells, and when you eat animal fat, you are taking on a lifetime of toxin storage.
  • Quarkles
    Quarkles Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    TEH TOXINZZZZZ!!!!11!

Oh thank the Good Dude. I was wondering if I was the only one who read the word 'toxins' all drawn out and hissy in my mind during these discussions. Good to know I'm not alone
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Things such as CO2, cholesterol, uric acid, urea, sodium, etc.

The only one of those that is lipophillic is cholesterol. Urea is lipid soluble at least but the rest? Not sure why the rest would end up concentrated in fat being mostly hydrophilic or even ionic. Was this a list of fat localized "toxins" or just a list of things that can cause harm at the wrong concentration either to high or to low?
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a load of crap to me. My guess is you're either feeling like crap because
    a. you're not eating enough
    b. you're not eating enough carbs and or protein
    c. you are having withdrawls from caffeine

Give it a week if you still feel like crap I'd increase your calories (or protein and carbs).
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options

First, the exogenous toxins, (Things from outside the body)

Environmental toxins, like pesticides, heavy metals, prescription and non-prescription drugs, residues from food processing, VOCs from paint, glues, etc around your house, chemicals from your household cleaners and deodorizers, food additives, by products of high heat food cooking, etc.

When people from all around the world get fat biopsies, these environmental toxins are found in the fat. This is not news.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1845365/pdf/brmedj02584-0011.pdf
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2481028/
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1008301/

Then, of course, there are endogenous toxins, which are normally occurring substances in the human body, that may become a problem when there is excess. Things such as CO2, cholesterol, uric acid, urea, sodium, etc.

Exercise and fasting both cause these toxins to be released from the fat cells where they are stored, and then the body mobilizes and removes them. This can be an unpleasant process. If moderate exercise alone causes such a rapid detoxification that you get sick, you could try starting with a water only fast. The most important thing you can do to avoid exposure to these toxins is to eat a diet rich in fruits and vegetables, and very light on anything processed, and animal foods. Remember, animals store their toxins in their cells, and when you eat animal fat, you are taking on a lifetime of toxin storage.

You are forgetting the existence of those magnificent organs, the liver and kidneys.