Insanity workout then gym

Options
is it okay to do insanity then workout at the gym? I originally planned to jog 6 times a week so I could get rid of my body fat faster since it's cardio but unfortunately there's no jogging place in the place I live in and I have to drive around 10-15 minutes to the nearest jogging place/park. I saw this gym near our house the fee is cheap, it's a nicely equipped gym and not crowded. it's so near than I can walk there everytime I have to so I thought of getting a membership so I could add into my daily cardio like using the treadmill, elliptical or the bike and use their free weights cause I only have 4lbs dumbbells at home. they will also give you a workout program which lasts for 1- 1 1/2 hours if you want to have one. I also don't have a problem with my schedule so is it okay to do both things at the same time or am I overexercising?

Replies

• SavinnaMarie
    SavinnaMarie Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    bump
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    With a set deficit, for weight loss more cardio exercise will let you eat more food.
    Alternatively, you could not do the exercise and not eat the food.
    I do like eating food, so I often choose to do the exercise.

Ideally you would do weights first, then cardio.

Doing weights and eating relatively high protein will help ensure you have predominately fat loss rather than fat and muscle loss.
  • rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I did insanity during the mornings and did weight training a couple of evenings a week - it worked out fine. With insanity, youre already getting in a good amount of cardio everyday - I went to the gym to try to avoid losing lean muscle mass with the fat.

Listen to your body - it will let you know when it needs rest (no one else knows how much intensity you'd be putting into your gym sessions).

Have you already started insanity? Its quite a taxing program in its own right.. Whatever you decide to do, getting your nutrition right is the real key.
  • SavinnaMarie
    Options
    Have you already started insanity? Its quite a taxing program in its own right.. Whatever you decide to do, getting your nutrition right is the real key.

yes. I'll be on day 18 tomorrow. I drink protein shakes right after and i eat 1,200 calories a day :)
  • geebusuk
    Options
    Insanity is mostly cardio - I wouldn't get overly worried by protein.
    If you do a load more exercise on top of it and don't eat more it's quite likely you'll cause yourself problems; depends what your current deficit is and various other factors.
  • rogerOb1
    Options
    1200 seems to be the "magic number". Is there a reason it always seems to come up regardless of the ladies height, weight?
  • gamommaof3
    Options
    You need to eat more than 1200 calories. After burning cals doing insanity plus more cardio you will be putting your body into starvation mode. Not sure why MFP puts 1200 as the magic number but it's not!!
  • geebusuk
    Options
    1200 seems to be the "magic number". Is there a reason it always seems to come up regardless of the ladies height, weight?
    That is the maximum MFP allows you to set your calorie intake at.
    If your TDEE was 1320 and you set it to lose .25lb a week or 2lb it would set it at 1200. Which is one of the reasons people wonder why they're not losing weight - it can be a few nibbles, over calculated workouts and people with a low TDEE are right back there.
    Similarly, if your TDEE is 2150, it'll also set it at 1200 for 2lb/week loss.
  • rogerOb1
    Options
    You need to eat more than 1200 calories. After burning cals doing insanity plus more cardio you will be putting your body into starvation mode. Not sure why MFP puts 1200 as the magic number but it's not!!

I wasn't sure if MFP was selecting 1200 for people or if they were selecting it for themselves - but it seems too low for most of the people who have that number
  • ninavdd
    ninavdd Posts: 18 Member
    Options

I think it's a number that frequently comes up in the automatic mfp-settings. For me, regardless what weight loss goal I give mfp (half a pound or 1 pound per week), it always puts me on 1200. I use the custom settings now, as my brm is 1440 and I think eating only 1200 would be infeasable in the long run for me.
  • rogerOb1
    Options
    That is the maximum MFP allows you to set your calorie intake at.
    If your TDEE was 1320 and you set it to lose .25lb a week or 2lb it would set it at 1200. Which is one of the reasons people wonder why they're not losing weight - it can be a few nibbles, over calculated workouts and people with a low TDEE are right back there.
    Similarly, if your TDEE is 2150, it'll also set it at 1200 for 2lb/week loss.
    Ah I see!
    Thanks for the explanation!
  • kdillson70
    Options

Most women have a BMR between 1400-1600 if they are sedentary to lightly active. However, MFP asks how many lbs a week you would like to lose, so it sets their calorie intake automatically to 1200. Most people don't have the understanding that if you workout you need to refuel your body. They are only worried about losing weight. I'm all about being healthy, not skinny! ;-)
  • SavinnaMarie
    Options
    if i do insanity + go to the gym i will up my calorie intake to 1400-1500 a day and 1200 on rest days. but is 1200 really bad while doing insanity alone?