1200 calorie myth

Options
Does anyone really know where the "you have to eat 1200 calories a day or you are going to seriously harm yourself" come from? Because if you look at the RDA requirement for nutrients, and look at the caloric value for each, then it comes out to about 800 calories for women and about 900 calories for men. So even according to the RDA, you can eat well below 1200 calories and get your nutritional needs. That it is, of course, if you think the RDAs are valid. They are set by the Institute of Medicine, a part of the National Academy of Sciences.

No being snarky here, I'm not suggesting everyone do this. People need to figure out for themselves what works. I just wonder why everyone screams that you MUST get 1200 calories a day or you are doing serious harm. Not necessarily.

Replies

• gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Well, I guess if you're just going to flop down on the floor and exist, you'd be fine at 800 calories a day.

Your body needs FUEL to do the things that I like to do, like walk, run, carry groceries, lift weights, etc. In order to have energy, I have to consume enough calories so my body has something to burn.

But you are right about one thing - "People need to figure out for themselves what works" and then own the consequences.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Well, I guess if you're just going to flop down on the floor and exist, you'd be fine at 800 calories a day.

Your body needs FUEL to do the things that I like to do, like walk, run, carry groceries, lift weights, etc. In order to have energy, I have to consume enough calories so my body has something to burn.

But you are right about one thing - "People need to figure out for themselves what works" and then own the consequences.

Yep! :-) personally, I like to give myself plenty of fuel so I can do all the things I enjoy. But I also think that people should do whatever works for them.
  • Beet_Girl
    Beet_Girl Posts: 102
    Options
    You might meet requirements for micronutrients, but I would think that it's still unhealthy as your body will start using muscle as fuel at that low of a calorie intake.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    RDA is minimum requirements...

and I would love to see me get enough protien (120g) on 1200 calories...

and on 1200 calories you lose muscle along with fat and you are weak, lethargic, hair gets brittle, nails don't grow well and are thin...

your body needs fuel and 1200 calories is not enough to fuel your body at rest let alone doing regular daily activity and never mind adding in exercise...
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Does anyone really know where the "you have to eat 1200 calories a day or you are going to seriously harm yourself" come from? Because if you look at the RDA requirement for nutrients, and look at the caloric value for each, then it comes out to about 800 calories for women and about 900 calories for men. So even according to the RDA, you can eat well below 1200 calories and get your nutritional needs. That it is, of course, if you think the RDAs are valid. They are set by the Institute of Medicine, a part of the National Academy of Sciences.

No being snarky here, I'm not suggesting everyone do this. People need to figure out for themselves what works. I just wonder why everyone screams that you MUST get 1200 calories a day or you are doing serious harm. Not necessarily.

I think that for anyone to meet their nutrient requirements on that low of a calorie intake, they would have to pay extreme attention to what they are eating, and not many people can actually do that, day in and day out. 1200 allows some leeway in that regard. VLCD should be done under the care of a doctor, so that he/she can ensure that there is no damage being done existing on the extreme edge of caloric deprivation. Also, 800 calories a day does not allow for any type of exercise, which is essential for maintaining lean body mass.
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Maybe if your in a coma?
  • czechwolf52
    czechwolf52 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Anorexics eat about 800 calories a day and that seems to work out for them...

But seriously, 2 year olds need 1,000-1,400 calories a day. I think a fully grown adult needs more food than a toddler in order to function.
  • well, it really depends on how tall, how old, and how active you are. Like, i'm only 5 ft tall, and every single calorie bar calculator that I've put my stats into (including my doctor) have said that i should eat about 1200 calories. I don't feel lethargic, I don't feel unhealthy, I have plenty of energy, I have long, thick curly hair, and it doesn't really seem to be affecting me at all, and I've eaten like this for years. and also, to czechwolf52 (really not trying to be critical, or snarky or anything, please don't hate me, just giving my opinion) toddlers are also growing at a rapid rate, and depending on the toddler are actually pretty active.
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options

But seriously, 2 year olds need 1,000-1,400 calories a day. I think a fully grown adult needs more food than a toddler in order to function.

Not really a good comparison. A 2 year old has a lot of growing to do and is constantly burning calories. Most of us here are trying to shrink.

I pretty well need to stick to the 1200 calorie limit as a base or I will gain weight. Maybe I am not that typical as I am older and cannot exercise much.

I do agree that less than 1200 is probably too low, although there are some very small people that might get along on less.

I am speaking only as a base, exercise calories and daily activity need to be figured on a case by case basis.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I just wonder why everyone screams that you MUST get 1200 calories a day or you are doing serious harm. Not necessarily.

Yeah, there aren't like a million threads around here like "HALP...I'm eating jack **** and don't get my period anymore"...or "HALP...I eat like a ****ing bird and my hair is falling out."

I personally wouldn't be able to do jack **** on 900 calories and my body would pretty much consume itself, muscle and all...that would be stupid now wouldn't it.

Maybe you should just go do an experiment on yourself and see how things turn out...
  • babykitten13
    Options
    I started about 4 days using Myfitnesspa and since I want to lose weight, it told me I have to eat 1200 calories per day. Only yesterday I ate these 1200 calories and that's because I had chocolate too. Since I started the program I exercise daily. Usually 20-30 mins per day so supposedly I can eat more calories if I want. The 1200 program doesn't allow me to eat many fat foods but I can have a full breakfast and lunch and then a light dinner, plus fruits in between. So, I guess it's not that bad, right?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I have a hard enough time whenI am cutting and eating 2100 to 2200 a day, so I cannot imagine what I would be like if I was only eating 1200 a day…

If you want to be skinny fat and damage your metabolism, then sure you can eat 900-1200 a day…but I think for most people 1200 is going to be at the bottom level bare minimum of intake to function and hit micro/macro nutrients…
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I started about 4 days using Myfitnesspa and since I want to lose weight, it told me I have to eat 1200 calories per day. Only yesterday I ate these 1200 calories and that's because I had chocolate too. Since I started the program I exercise daily. Usually 20-30 mins per day so supposedly I can eat more calories if I want. The 1200 program doesn't allow me to eat many fat foods but I can have a full breakfast and lunch and then a light dinner, plus fruits in between. So, I guess it's not that bad, right?

try a month...or longer...4 days...I agree it isn't hard especially when you are on your willpower...
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options

Not really a good comparison. A 2 year old has a lot of growing to do and is constantly burning calories. Most of us here are trying to shrink.

I pretty well need to stick to the 1200 calorie limit as a base or I will gain weight. Maybe I am not that typical as I am older and cannot exercise much.

I do agree that less than 1200 is probably too low, although there are some very small people that might get along on less.

I am speaking only as a base, exercise calories and daily activity need to be figured on a case by case basis.

I think the question is why 1200, not 1190 or 1230?
  • SoulOfRusalka
    SoulOfRusalka Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    And then there's the fact that people here act like it's always exactly1200. For everyone. A 6' man can eat 1200 calories even if it's not *advisable*, but if you're a 5' woman and you eat 1000 you're going to DIE OF MALNUTRITION RIGHT NOW BUT ALSO GET FAT BECAUSE YOUR BODY WILL GO INTO STARVATION MODE.
    I think it's all sort of personal and you just need to figure out what works for yourself and your body. The numbers are guidelines, but everyone's different and you have to do what feels best.
  • mactaffy84
    mactaffy84 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]

Thank you. A voice of reason. Just wondering here, people, not advocating anything. Some people can be a bunch of vultures. Read the,post as is, not putting your value system on it (of course, assuming one is open-minded enough to do that).
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options

Thank you. A voice of reason. Just wondering here, people, not advocating anything. Some people can be a bunch of vultures. Read the,post as is, not putting your value system on it (of course, assuming one is open-minded enough to do that).

The title is 1200 calorie "myth", it could have been worded better for your query :flowerforyou:
  • kjo9692
    kjo9692 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    And then there's the fact that people here act like it's always exactly1200. For everyone. A 6' man can eat 1200 calories even if it's not *advisable*, but if you're a 5' woman and you eat 1000 you're going to DIE OF MALNUTRITION RIGHT NOW BUT ALSO GET FAT BECAUSE YOUR BODY WILL GO INTO STARVATION MODE.
    I think it's all sort of personal and you just need to figure out what works for yourself and your body. The numbers are guidelines, but everyone's different and you have to do what feels best.

NOPE NOPE NOPE

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/761810-the-starvation-mode-myth-again

She won't get fat, she'll get skinny BUT she can also die because that's way too low to get enough nutrients into her body.
  • scottkjar
    scottkjar Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Does anyone really know where the "you have to eat 1200 calories a day or you are going to seriously harm yourself" come from?
    I thought OP was asking about scientific sources that show 1200 as the minimum threshhold. Lots of people are jumping in on the "debate," some are reporting this to moderators, but no one has cited a study or journal article.

Is there a scientific basis for this number? Or is this just bro-science? I'd like to know, since the 1200 figure is thrown around a lot on this site.