Need to lose weight, but have no motivation

Options
Hello,

I'm new here, and I am here because I have struggled with my weight since I was about 10 years old. I have five kids, thats when a good portion of my weight gain happened. I was always stuck at home with nowhere to go, and not enough room in the house to exercise lol. I found when I would exercise, I wouldn't lose any weight, so I gave up. A few years back, I was extremely depressed and because of it I started to not eat. I ended up starving myself for two weeks at a time and I lost over 85 pounds. Needless to say when I got past my depression I gained all the weight back. I find that I don't eat the right food and I never exercise.
I know what I need to do to change all of this, but it's hard to find motivation when you are doing this alone. My fiance isn't much help, he's all talk and no do lol. I can't keep going through life like this, I only have one kidney and I'm afraid of the toll my weight is taking on my kidney as well as my other organs.
I just want to know what it feels like to fit in a seat without it squishing you, fit onto rides at the amusement park, and be able to play with my kids and keep up with them. I want to be able to walk for more than two minutes without getting winded. I hate that I look like I waddle when I walk lol.
I just plain and simply need a support system!!:happy:

Replies

• luvmycoffee
    luvmycoffee Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!!

You came to the right place if you are looking for support & motivation. Feel free to add me if you'd like. Good luck to you! :smile:
  • larojamom
    Options
    Hi, my name is Lisa and I feel the same way you do. I'm 5'1, weigh 145lbs, and USED to be a body builder. I quit body building years ago but retained some of the muscle underneath everything else. Being petite EVERY pound shows on me. There are days that I really don't feel like watching what I eat much less attempting to exercise. Then I have those days where I wake up with so much false determination. I say that because I get distracted and decide to put off the whole exercise thing. I'm a stay at home mom and do some video editing and such so a lot of my time is spent on my hiney. Please feel free to add me and we'll get over this hump together. :smile:
  • pholbert
    pholbert Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    You need to have determination, you CAN do this. And of course support is great too. If you are determined to do it, when the weight starts to come off believe me you become more motivated. Work the diaries, they are great tools. As far as excercise walking is great. And having some friends here to share the journey with is very helpful. People will encourage you and share in your joy when you are proud of your self. We all came here for the same reason, to get help .
  • trhops
    trhops Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

Lots of great support on here, feel free to add me!
  • lainiegee
    lainiegee Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    well said! Its tough, bloody tough, but TOGETHER WE CAN DO THIS!:smile:
  • cnick21
    cnick21 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You are certainly not alone. I am in the same exact boat. I manage to watch what I eat for a few days, do good, and then it just goes down hill from there. I've lost over 40 lbs previously so I KNOW that I can do it but like you, am just lacking that motivational piece. It really is more of a mental commitment than anything. Don't get me wrong, it's a physical commitment also to lose weight, but it all starts with our mindset. It's how I lost over 40 lbs. You have to push yourself mentally and tell yourself that you are capable of anything and that you deserve it. Work hard for it. In the end, it definitely pays off.

Of course, I lost over 40 lbs a year or so ago and gained 20 of it back, so I'm not the BEST source of motivation BUT I know it can be done, it just takes a commitment from us. I'm in the same boat..don't feel alone! There are so many other people that are in this exact situation, but we are all here to help support each other! Feel free to add me if you like! Good luck on your weight loss journey, it's a difficult one but well worth the results in the end. You can do it! :)

-Colleen
  • fatsmaher
    fatsmaher Posts: 19
    Options
    What worked for me was not thinking about it. Once I stopped saying I was going to eat right and exercise.
    I noticed my appetite decreased. I stopped dieting and planning my workouts. I started walking and eating when I was hungry just itty bitty portions. Sometimes its all in our head.
  • dankas001
    dankas001 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I think it can be frustrating as we hope to see results sooner than we do but most of the hard work is paying off within us small steps are the key I think don't make out of reach goals take the first 2 lbs as your target & then set yourself another & pat your back along the way good luck xxx
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    My advice stop making excuses and get off your butt.
  • justdoit1106
    justdoit1106 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    What worked for me was not thinking about it. Once I stopped saying I was going to eat right and exercise.
    I noticed my appetite decreased. I stopped dieting and planning my workouts. I started walking and eating when I was hungry just itty bitty portions. Sometimes its all in our head.

I agree. I didn't really look at the bigger picture (it's too big!) I just started by tracking everything I ate, I soon realised that no wonder I'm not losing any weight. I started making better choices, things like: not having butter and mayo on a sandwich. By not having butter, you can save 70 ish calories. Once you make a start with logging you soon realise where you can cut calories without too much sacrifice. Another major breakthrough for me was weighing everything. You soon realise how little granola you get for your calories, it's not worth it!
    Once I'd signed up to the gym, I didn't set any goals. I went when I could. Then somehow I go 5 times a week. I read loads about lifting and fancied a go at that. I really enjoy it! In fact I've been ill for a week and haven't been able to go to the gym, I'm chomping at the bit to get back there! I find it hilarious that I didn't bother for years and now after a only a week I feel gross!
    All this has only been since the end of January, I've only lost 16 pounds which is small fry to a lot of people on here. And I've got at least another 30 lbs to go. But for me it's only ever about the next pound, the next meal and the next gym session!
    Good luck.
  • BeautyBeast2013
    BeautyBeast2013 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Hi there. feel free to add me I am Amanda would love to help you in any way that I can and others daily motivation quotes , pls add me and anyone can that is looking for new friends and need motivation
  • Rushgirl82
    Rushgirl82 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    The hardest part is starting. Trust me. But once you start you'll feel great. And you'll get addicted to that feel great feeling.
  • eslcity
    eslcity Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Motivation is not the key... dedication and commitment are… if you don’t have those all the motivation in the world will not help you..
  • biddy249
    biddy249 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    You just explained very well why you want to get fit, sounds like your already motivated. Now get moving and stop making excuses. No one is going to do this for you, only you control you. If you want it, go get it! The help is here and sometimes you have to hear things you don't want too listen too.
  • dcue103
    dcue103 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    i understand your feelings. I've lost three good sized adults in my lifetime. I am more determined now to do better. You've gotten through the first huddle by admitting your shortcomings. Now think of the wonderful reasons why you should lose weight.. Start slowly. Make reasonable goals. Believe in yourself and look on this sight for encouragement. Add me as a friend and together we can work through it.
  • dearannna
    dearannna Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    A support system is great but something that is really helping me this time round (although I am am only 30lb into a long journey) is taking responsibility for my own behaviour and health.

A trick I use is every time I say to myself "I can't" (make a healthy food choice, work out etc) I stop and rephrase it as "I dont want to enough" and most of the time just checking myself reminds me that I DO want this weight loss enough to get my butt off the couch, or to order the chicken salad. Sometimes I still take the unhealthy route but at least I am owning it as a decision that I am making, rather than something passively happening to me.

I also agree with the earlier reply thst said determination is far more important than motivation.
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    You don't need motivation to lose weight. You just need to change your behaviour. Actions don't require motivation behind them. It helps if you are motivated, but you don't have to be.
  • Nascarchic48
    Options
    we can all use help. thats what im here for and so far i love thios site. a great group of ladies who motivate you when you need it and i dont have that!!
  • Tinapopo
    Tinapopo Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hi I know how you feel I lost weigh and gain it back . I was on mfp and it help me

The first time then I hurt my shoulder and gain weight back so I thought I would get back on here
    And its been a lot of help .add me if you want and anyone can I think the more
    Friends you have better it is
  • missmamselle
    missmamselle Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Motivation will come once you take action.