Night sweats after training & increased calories

Options
I was wondering if anyone else experienced night sweats,or wakes up in the morning very hot and sweaty after a strong training session in the day?
I've noticed that as I've bumped up my calories, and maintained my training of cardio & weights this often occurs, and was wondering if anyone could shed any light on why!

Replies

• matt6050
    matt6050 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I think that's just your metabolism running super hot due to the increase in calories+activity. I am recovering from an ED and when I first started aggressively increasing my daily calories, I experienced something similar. I brought it up to my doctor and they said it's totally normal
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Sure, sleep is the best time for recovery and repair, if fed enough body has something to actually do it - and doing it produces heat.
    It's really annoying when the arms are still cold for instance, but legs are burning up, since most muscle to repair is there.

Different effect for finally eating more to be at a reasonable deficit.
    Too much deficit and body will adapt and is willing to slow some functions down like producing heat for no reason other than to stay warm, so it has enough calories for what is really needed.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I had this a few years back when I was into Paleo and eating meat...when I asked the same question someone said their boyfriend was bodybuilder and they call it 'meat sweats' eeewww!!
  • NanoBear
    NanoBear Posts: 67
    Options
    I've had the same thing from time to time, particularly when I've worked had on the big muscles in my legs. If memory serves, resistance training can help boost metabolism for up to 36 hours. Also, almost any kind of hard workout causes micro-tears in the muscles involved. Your body will generate plenty of heat in the process of repairing itself.
  • hlm711
    hlm711 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the comments, I'm seeing it as a positive thing as it shows my body is shifting up a gear and hopefully getting on with recovering!!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the comments, I'm seeing it as a positive thing as it shows my body is shifting up a gear and hopefully getting on with recovering!!
    mmmm...not always. Night sweats can happen for other reasons, so an appointment with your doctor would be wise. You're too young for menopause, but thyroid, hormonal imbalances, and other diseases can cause night sweats.
  • hlm711
    hlm711 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I appreciate this but I'm trying to recover alot of weight, so I know my hormones are unbalanced anyway, and I need to gain weight to hopefully get them in check
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's because you're producing more thyroid hormone. After a few weeks the body adjusts. I've had this happen, too, every time I've increased calories. I've also sometimes had heart palpitations, nervousness, and increased warmth from consistently eating more for a few days or a week or two. It's just something you have to go through, unfortunately. You might also find you don't sleep as well or feel like you need less. I know it can be disconcerting. But it subsides over time. Your body is adapting to your diet and training. Give it a chance...and don't panic. It will re-equilibrate. In the meantime, try meditation...it works.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I appreciate this but I'm trying to recover alot of weight, so I know my hormones are unbalanced anyway, and I need to gain weight to hopefully get them in check.

I understand, but I still suggest you have a conversation with your doctor. There's no harm in getting blood tests done to make sure nothing else is going on.

I disagree that the black and white answer to your situation is increased calories and workouts. If everything else checks out okay, then increased calories and exercise could be the answer.

Whatever you decide to do, the best of luck.