Protein: I want the TRUTH!!!

Options
Does anyone know the truth about protein? I have read sooo many different conflicting things. A friend of mine recently had lap band surgery and started seeing a nutritionist. She emphasized she should try to get at least 65g of protein per day to accelerate the turning of fat into lean muscle.
Now on the other hand,I am not over weight...I am just trying to get down to my goal so this probably changes things for me. MFP tells me I to eat 45g/per day. I work out very vigorously every day...so i usually end up eating more protein than that. I also recently read that women eating close to 100g/day lost almost double the weight. (This sounds excessive). I also read that too much protein can make you pack on pounds pretty fast.... ahhh! :noway: Im guessing I should just try to balance my protein intake with my daily workout but I'm still not sure...

any ideas?

Replies

• RobbinE33
    Options
    Does anyone know the truth about protein? I have read sooo many different conflicting things. A friend of mine recently had lap band surgery and started seeing a nutritionist. She emphasized she should try to get at least 65g of protein per day to accelerate the turning of fat into lean muscle.
    Now on the other hand,I am not over weight...I am just trying to get down to my goal so this probably changes things for me. MFP tells me I to eat 45g/per day. I work out very vigorously every day...so i usually end up eating more protein than that. I also recently read that women eating close to 100g/day lost almost double the weight. (This sounds excessive). I also read that too much protein can make you pack on pounds pretty fast.... ahhh! :noway: Im guessing I should just try to balance my protein intake with my daily workout but I'm still not sure...

any ideas?
  • Thrust
    Thrust Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    You should eat 1g of protein (minimum) per 1lb. of bodyweight. Adjust other nutrients AROUND the protein number to meet the required caloric input. Protein should remain a constant.
  • shkaki
    shkaki Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    protien will help you rebuild your muscle, which in turn will help your body fill up with muscle, which will in turn more efficiently burn fat while exercising and during daily life. I would at least eat what your profile break down tells you to, and maybe a little more depending on workouts. (if you're lifing weights your muscles will get broken down and need help to repair, which is where the protien comes in). Every person will be different in the amounts you need based on wt. and age..etc. Becareful if you are eating a lot of protien (say more than 100g) because it will sit in your digestive system, make sure you're accompanying (sp?) with high fiber foods to keep your digestive system moving.

* combining an excessive amount of protien in your diet and not eating enough fiber and complex carbs is the reason a lot of people who were on the atkins diet (or any low low carb diets) develped intestinal problems, and run a high risk of colon cancer.

I would suggest doing what your nutritionist told you, along with the recomm. amount on here. And make sure you're getting a proper amount of complex carbs and fiber!!

hope that helped! good luck!
  • ladywalkalot
    ladywalkalot Posts: 230 Member
    Options

any ideas?

Ok...first of all, anyone can call themselves a nutritionist...the homeless man on the street....a Registered Dietician is the expert;
    second, you can not turn fat into lean muscle; they are two different tissues; you can increase one and decrease the other but not turn fat into muscle or vice versa
    third, too much of anything--protein, carbs,---chocolate,broccoli, meat, apples, chips, etc...too much of anything in excess will be metabolized to fat....our body only needs so much of each nutrient...and too much protein can stress your kidneys--for the average person it would truly have to be a large intake daily with very little other nutrients--like the atkins diet....people are at risk after about 2weeks of that diet due to the mild ketoacidosis the diet puts your body in; i am an RN and worked with nephrologists (kidney drs--they recommended no more than 2 weeks on that diet).
    You are right in your thought to balance your protein, carbs and fat.....it is worth it to see a registered dietician, but i think MFP is a pretty good guideline...you can increase your complex carbs and lean protein a bit for your exercise intensity, recovery and refueling!

Good luck!
  • RobbinE33
    Options
    I definately don't need a dietician...I was just talking about what a friend of mine was told. I'll be sure to be more careful with my choice of words next time. :wink: And I do understand the concepts of metabolism & moderate eating. I am 5'8" and well within weight range for my height. I was just curious about the specifics of protein.

Thanks, though!
  • ladywalkalot
    ladywalkalot Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I definately don't need a dietician...I was just talking about what a friend of mine was told. I'll be sure to be more careful with my choice of words next time. :wink: And I do understand the concepts of metabolism & moderate eating. I am 5'8" and well within weight range for my height. I was just curious about the specifics of protein.

Thanks, though!

I was just saying that what your friend was told by her nutritionist isn't correct...you can't change fat into muscle;
    and even the most fit persons of any height/weight can benefit from a RD....you get the answers from an expert on the subject on nutrients and what you individually need
    AND i agreed with your thinking on your protein intake....
  • Thrust
    Thrust Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    More good reading re: myths of high protein and impaired renal function.

http://www.jissn.com/content/1/1/45

Results of several recent studies show that high-protein, low-carbohydrate weight loss diets indeed have their benefits. However, agencies such as the American Heart Association (AHA) have some concerns about possible health risks. The purpose of this review is to evaluate the scientific validity of AHA Nutrition Committee's statement on dietary protein and weight reduction (St. Jeor ST et al. Circulation 2001;104:1869–1874), which states: "Individuals who follow these [high-protein] diets are risk for ... potential cardiac, renal, bone, and liver abnormalities overall. Simply stated, there is no scientific evidence whatsoever that high-protein intake has adverse effects on liver function. Relative to renal function, there are no data in the scientific literature demonstrating that healthy kidneys are damaged by the increased demands of protein consumed in quantities 2–3 times above the Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA). In contrast with the earlier hypothesis that high-protein intake promotes osteoporosis, some epidemiological studies found a positive association between protein intake and bone mineral density. Further, recent studies studies suggest, at least in the short term, that RDA for protein (0.8 g/kg) does not support normal calcium homeostasis. Finally, a negative correlation has been shown between protein intake and systolic and diastolic blood pressures in several epidemiological surveys. In conclusion, there is little if any scientific evidence supporting above mentioned statement. Certainly, such public warnings should be based on a thorough analysis of the scientific literature, not unsubstantiated fears and misrepresentations. For individuals with normal renal function, the risks are minimal and must be balanced against the real and established risk of continued obesity.

See also:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/layne38.htm
  • natalie1
    natalie1 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Thanks, for that post- gave me another prospective on my love to protein food:flowerforyou: