Post workout protein timing and amount?

Options
I've read several articles about the amount and timing of post workout protein intake but none of these articles seem to agree on anything other than the idea that you SHOULD consume some protein after a strength training workout.

One article I read said that any protein over 30g taken at one time is pointless because the body will only make use of 30g at a given time, the excess is excreted out.

Most articles suggest consuming protein "soon" after a work out, but what is soon? 30 min? One hour? Obviously 12 hours is not "soon".

If anyone can comment on their experience/opinions I would certainly appreciate it!

PW

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Unless you're an elite-level athlete, you probably won't notice any long-term difference whether you eat 30 minutes or 90 minutes after working out, or whether it's 20 grams or 40 grams. What matters more is your total daily intake of nutrients over weeks & months, not the timing or composition of one particular meal. A good rule of thumb for post workout is: eat when you're hungry, and have some protein with it. It works for 99% of us.
  • bgarganera
    Options
    Like the above poster said,
    Daily "net" calories or your day's intake is far more important than nutrient timing.

Those broad strokes should be the foundation of your lifestyle, and if that's in order add in a bit of hard work and you should see the results you want!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Unless you're an elite-level athlete, you probably won't notice any long-term difference whether you eat 30 minutes or 90 minutes after working out, or whether it's 20 grams or 40 grams. What matters more is your total daily intake of nutrients over weeks & months, not the timing or composition of one particular meal. A good rule of thumb for post workout is: eat when you're hungry, and have some protein with it. It works for 99% of us.

This really is it.

And the whole 'can't digest more than 30 grams' bit is BS.
  • PecanWaffle
    Options
    Thanks everyone. The only elite thing I am is an elite beginner. I typically eat a protein bar (20g) within 30 minutes after a workout, seems to help with hunger and energy recovery pretty well.

Overall I get between 0.8 and 1.0 gram of protein per pound of lean mass per day.

I've only been at this for about 4 months and I'm stunned at how much muscle mass I can still pack on at 47 years of age. I workout at an on-campus gym and I can lift like the college boys still :)

Thanks,
    PW
  • charlieibeling
    charlieibeling Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I definitely think nutrient timing is extremely important. You want to get in enough protein to maximize protein synthesis in the body, which for most people is about 30 grams within about 40 minutes. I personally advocate for BCAAs to do this but otherwise i would suggest a quick whey shake followed by a whole meal about an hour or so later. Dump the bar for a shake, generally much higher quality and your post workout nutrition is extremely important
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I definitely think nutrient timing is extremely important. You want to get in enough protein to maximize protein synthesis in the body, which for most people is about 30 grams within about 40 minutes. I personally advocate for BCAAs to do this but otherwise i would suggest a quick whey shake followed by a whole meal about an hour or so later. Dump the bar for a shake, generally much higher quality and your post workout nutrition is extremely important

Based on…..
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options

free form bcaas dont replace protein
  • charlieibeling
    Options
    You are correct, they accelerate protein synthesis. BCAA's will accelerate protein synthesis and your post workout meal will provide the substrate to build muscle. Well timed bcaas are a training weapon.

Protein alone cannot spike blood leucine concentration nearly as quickly as bcaas
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    You are correct, they accelerate protein synthesis. BCAA's will accelerate protein synthesis and your post workout meal will provide the substrate to build muscle. Well timed bcaas are a training weapon.

Protein alone cannot spike blood leucine concentration nearly as quickly as bcaas

agree 100%
  • charlieibeling
    Options
    Nice! Wasn't sure if you were hating on BCAAs or if you were commenting on my post sounding like i was recommending bcaas instead of protein altogether. Not sure why so many people think BCAAs are useless. Recovery is amazing when dosed regularly