How do I start lifting weights? Tell me how you started.

Options
Hi everyone! So, I've been stuck doing cardio for some time and really want to start lifting weights. I don't know where to begin! I bought New Rules of Lifting for Women and didn't like it.

How did you start? Personal Trainer? Book? Website? Video? Set Program?

Any advice or sources would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• sami_83
    sami_83 Posts: 161
    Options
    Why didn't you like it?
    It's what I am using currently. I read the book, wrote out the workouts myself (because I couldn't get my head around the program until I did that), ignored the food section and bought/set up the equipment I needed. Now I'm loving it and I get sad if I miss a workout! I find it a good program for beginners. The exercises are simple, each workout takes about half an hour so it's not a big ask time-wise, and I can measure how much I am improving.
    I hear that Stronglifts is an excellent program though, so perhaps that one is worth investigating?
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Stronglifts. You can look up the vid for free on Youtube. And if ya want, there is actually a group on here that is Stronglifts for women and they have threads and pins with all the info. I love it! I've heard NROLFW is a bit wordy and gets complicated after a bit, but the info is good. But I really like this because of the simplicity of the program. You can always give it a go and see if it fits you.
  • shellfly
    shellfly Posts: 186
    Options
    I actually started using a "game" on the XBox 360 called Nike+Kinect Training. It starts you off with body weight exercises and you progress to using dumbells and continue to bump up your weights with heavier dumbells as you go (at your discretion). It also has different lengths of time you can choose to train and different levels of difficulty. I started on "Easy" for 15 minutes and wound up finishing on "Intense" for 45 minutes - the highest difficulty and longest time period. At that point, I had gone from using 5 and 10 lb dumbells to 25 and 35 and felt ready to transition to the barbell and to start StrongLifts. Keep in mind that I started as a very weak person (couldn't do a proper push-up, chin-up, etc.) who had never done any work with weights before. If you are starting from a similar position, then I definitely recommend a program like the Nike+Kinect; it's a great introduction to strength work and can build you up for the true lifting heavy. And you can definitely get your money's worth out of it - I think I used it for around 5 months before I had milked all the gains out of it that I could get.
  • eslcity
    eslcity Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I just started weight training... and downloaded an ebook you may want to read.... send me a FR and I will email you it...

It has alot of information for someone just beginning.

-ms
  • Skinnymunkii
    Skinnymunkii Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    We all learn differently, and books just don't give the interactive experience of having someone with you. Form is very important to avoid injury when it comes to lifting, and form is best learned by example. For me, it was much easier having someone there to help me see when and how I was making mistakes, so I could correct them. Highly recommend a personal trainer, or perhaps lifting with an experienced, motivated friend who knows what they're doing and can help you with technique.
  • strive4Life77
    Options
    Focus on your form!! It's the most important thing!! Warm up before lifting, go to www.bodybuilding.com for great workouts
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    I started by lifting my crockpot over my head because I didn't own any weights.:laugh: That sucker weighed 14 pounds and I did it everyday 20 times until it was no longer difficult. After almost two years of building up from nothing, I am now doing New Rules for Women. I even have a weight lifting bench on one side of my living room.:smokin:
  • Mborroto25
    Mborroto25 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, guys! I felt like NROLFW was a little complicated. Maybe I just didn't give it a chance. I'll research some of the sites you mentioned and might hire a personal trainer short term just to get my form right.

Keep the suggestions coming!
  • sami_83
    sami_83 Posts: 161
    Options
    It took me a while to un-complicate NROL it so I totally understand. If you like I can PM you the link to the spreadsheet I made up, if that will help at all? I have it on google docs. Each workout has it's own little sheet and lists the sets/reps/rest times. Beats me why they didn't just do that in the first place but oh well!
    Best of luck with whatever option you go with. Lifting is fun! :happy:
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    Step 1: Pick it up.
    There! :flowerforyou:
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,678 Member
    Options
    I started as a poor, fat, teen with no money and little hope, lol. I found an old rusty bar that someone was throwing out, dragged it home, and for the longest time used cinder blocks for weights. It doesn't sound like much, but I feel in love with it.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    I Joined a gym 5 years ago, picked up a dumbbell and lifted it, i read a lot, i spoke with people, i tried, i failed, i tried again, i failed again, i tried again and harder i failed a bit less...
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I loved NROLFW!!! It does have a ton of information though. I'd start with the very first two workouts. Then worry about the eating after you get the hang of those two. Then when it's time to graduate to the next level you can research the next level.
  • raven_ous
    raven_ous Posts: 223
    Options
    NROLFW or Starting strength are good sources of info.

This is a good link for for form and technique on compound lifts...

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ:The_Lifts

Some more useful info...

Weight Lifting

Weight Lifting - Form /Technique

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/852401-proper-form-and-technique-sources

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1018359-do-you-cave-in-when-you-squat

Strength Training - the basics

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/850719-strength-training-the-basics

Barbell routines - when you only have dumbbells

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/902569-barbell-routines-when-you-only-have-dumbbells
  • GradatimFerociter
    GradatimFerociter Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I was perhaps 11 when I bought my first set of weights (small ones). Initially I was guessing or being shown things by older friends I suppose. A couple of years later I bought my own bench, barbells etc and by that time knew enough to make some progress (honestly I was stronger at 15 than I am now). The best thing you can do is empower yourself by reading a lot.

Any decent beginner routine will work for you so just pick one (SS, SL, All Pro's etc) and spend time researching exactly how to do the lifts (watch reputable youtube tutorials) and how to appropriately approach the progression. Then you just have to jump in, try things and - importantly - be prepared to fail.

I probably wouldn't waste my money on a trainer but that is your choice really.
  • raven_ous
    raven_ous Posts: 223
    Options
    I was perhaps 11 when I bought my first set of weights (small ones). Initially I was guessing or being shown things by older friends I suppose. A couple of years later I bought my own bench, barbells etc and by that time knew enough to make some progress (honestly I was stronger at 15 than I am now). The best thing you can do is empower yourself by reading a lot.

Any decent beginner routine will work for you so just pick one (SS, SL, All Pro's etc) and spend time researching exactly how to do the lifts (watch reputable youtube tutorials) and how to appropriately approach the progression. Then you just have to jump in, try things and - importantly - be prepared to fail.

I probably wouldn't waste my money on a trainer but that is your choice really.
    Agreed, as it is best to develop good form/technique from the get go...bad habits are difficult to unlearn and there is a vast ocean of bro-science out there.
  • Mborroto25
    Options
    It took me a while to un-complicate NROL it so I totally understand. If you like I can PM you the link to the spreadsheet I made up, if that will help at all? I have it on google docs. Each workout has it's own little sheet and lists the sets/reps/rest times. Beats me why they didn't just do that in the first place but oh well!
    Best of luck with whatever option you go with. Lifting is fun! :happy:

Sami! I sent you a message.
  • Mborroto25
    Options
    You guys are great! Thanks for all the helpful responses.