Ketogenic diet

Options

Replies

• sdefranc
    sdefranc Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Another book I would recommend is called Why We Get Fat and What To Do About It by Gary Taubes.
    He goes through the history of low carb diets, how the science works (in terms of fat regulation), and suggests how to eat. He also talks about the broth to get more sodium.

My question is this: Do you really have to go so low on the carbs at 5%? I have dropped to 25-30% carbs in the last week or so and have lost 1.5 lbs. I feel great! Can some go into ketosis without being so restrictive?
    I believe very person is different so it's a matter of finding what is best for your own body, everyone has their own tolerance and lifestyle.

Also, rather than focus of percentages, look at grams, if it's under 50 a day of carbs then that should enough to keep you in ketosis. Then work out grams of protein and fill the rest of your calories with fats, according to what you're trying to achieve.

Edit: I also recommend that book, it's a great read.
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    want to save for later. I eat low carb but not ketonic level... may try it. now do about 20-50 carb a day
  • lisajsund
    lisajsund Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    On non workout days, I'm around 150 g of carbs a day.
    I've lost 3 lbs in two weeks. Maybe I stay at this and see what happens!
  • tonyyano
    tonyyano Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Bone broth - I've been supplementing my diet with broth over the past few weeks, and now with homemade beef bone broth. The results have been amazing. A month ago, I had problems walking, my muscles were all knotted up, I had to stretch and get massage to loosen them up. I think with ketogenic diet you need to replenish salts along with other minerals. With the bone broth, it seems like the essential minerals, keep my muscles from cramping. The best part is when I do hill work, on the way down, I usually feel a slight joint ache, since I have been consuming bone broth, the slight ache is gone. I dont know what it is (perhaps whatever is in the cartledge or tendons) but if it works, I going to keep doing it.

The next step, which is a challenge for me is the intermittent fasting. This is what I think ketogenic diet will eventually lead to, which is to get the body to adapt to burning the inner fat reserves. I read that if you limit your eating to an eight (8) hour period a day and dont eat the other 16 hours, the body will get adapted to burning fat reserves. The process I heard is a slow adaptive process, start with a few hours of intermittent fasting and build up to this level.

Has anyone had experience with intermittent fasting? if so any tips? experiences?
  • afalewyn
    afalewyn Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I've just recently started the ketogenic diet. I've done low carb off and on for many years and find it very helpful in controlling blood sugar and mood. I'm struggling right now to increase my fat intake over protein. I've read that the ratio should be 75% fat, 20 p, 5 carbs - however my protein and fat seem to be about equal. Can anyone offer food tips to increase the fat intake without increasing protein?

Thank you!
    Dane

To increase your fat without increasing the protein, use more butter. Also use coconut oil, olive oil and heavy cream. Sometimes I make a tea or coffee with heavy cream and some coconut oil in it, but that's not for everyone!
  • baggleflap
    baggleflap Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've tried the 'Bulletproof' coffee a few times. It's okay. I like a little unsweetened cocoa mixed in. But, I haven't felt the energy boost that ppl talk about. Most ppl drink this instead of eating breakfast. I find I am still hungry. Maybe I'm not adding ENOUGH oil and butter. Will try it again......
  • fatgirlslimagain
    fatgirlslimagain Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Bone broth - I've been supplementing my diet with broth over the past few weeks, and now with homemade beef bone broth. The results have been amazing. A month ago, I had problems walking, my muscles were all knotted up, I had to stretch and get massage to loosen them up. I think with ketogenic diet you need to replenish salts along with other minerals. With the bone broth, it seems like the essential minerals, keep my muscles from cramping. The best part is when I do hill work, on the way down, I usually feel a slight joint ache, since I have been consuming bone broth, the slight ache is gone. I dont know what it is (perhaps whatever is in the cartledge or tendons) but if it works, I going to keep doing it.

The next step, which is a challenge for me is the intermittent fasting. This is what I think ketogenic diet will eventually lead to, which is to get the body to adapt to burning the inner fat reserves. I read that if you limit your eating to an eight (8) hour period a day and dont eat the other 16 hours, the body will get adapted to burning fat reserves. The process I heard is a slow adaptive process, start with a few hours of intermittent fasting and build up to this level.

Has anyone had experience with intermittent fasting? if so any tips? experiences?
    I'm new to Keto but so far i'm still going. Just wondering how you make this bone broth as I am someone who has crippling pain throughout the day - mostly in the morning
  • theresasbaby
    Options
    Hi!
    I just got back on MFP, I had weight loss surgery, it didn't fail, I did. Now about your question regarding the ketogenic diet, I have type 2 diabetes, and have done lots of reading over the years. The keto diet has come up many times in research about epilepsy, cancer, and diabetes, and other things. That being said , all I've read combined with the fact that my blood sugar numbers are great while I eat this way, my cholesterol numbers are getting better. I know my triglyceride number is half what it was, and my HDL is double what it was, my LDL is about the same and so all is well. There is a book by a Dr Perlmutter called Grain Brain that I found valuable, my mother had dementia and I'll do anything to try to NOT get that! The keto diet is also good for that. Another doctor to pay attention is a Dr Mencola. He has great info on low carb high fat diets. The ketogenic diet for cancer, is the same but very calorie restrictive. I truly believe this is good for us all, so read about it and you can make up your own mind.I'm looking forward to posting my great Blood sugar numbers and pray God better numbers in the weight department! Hope that helps
  • tonyyano
    Options
    Check out sdefranc response on bone broth, it's a great start

"We make a broth every weekend and store it in containers to use throughout the week. Usually beef, but sometimes lamb broth. It's great if you can throw a trotter or hoof, or knuckle bones in there as well, they're full of gelatin, cartilage, collagen and other benefitial bits. Doing so makes it a bit thicker in the fridge but it still goes liquidy when heated. I either have it straight in a cup as a snack, or else we use it as a stock and add other things to make a soup (meatballs, etc). You could probably make a nice Vietnamese Phở with it.

To make it, we just throw the bones in a large stock pot along with an onion and some celery, fill the pot with cold water and bring it to a boil then simmer for as long as we can, which is usually from morning to night, or 24 hours if we can manage it. Two days probably wouldn't hurt either. We've done it in a slow cooker as well although I find it doesn't seem to extract as much from the bones, but you get a clearer liquid. We then let it cool and strain it into containers. I don't add salt during the process, rather I add it later when consuming it.

You'll end up with a layer of fat on top in the fridge once its cooled, which you can either mix back in when heating or else remove and render to use as tallow to use for frying.

You are right about the salt and water as well, I found this the case.
  • Brat442014
    Options
    Hi, I have been on a high protein diet for a few years (lap band) but never considered my carb intake. I know with high protein the weight fell off and also by working out. After a stressful year (broke up with my bf) I put on 16lbs. I was wondering, what should the ratio be with fats/protein/carbs because like I said, I just focused on 65-70 grams of protein a day with the lap band diet. I would love to finally reach goal!
  • EllieB_5
    EllieB_5 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/1511-reddit-keto

Awesome resource for keto from ketoians. Also www.reddit.com/r/keto.

btw, I accept all friend requests :)
  • tonyyano
    Options
    I've tried 80% fat, 5% carb, and 15% protein and found some success with it, however, I backed away from it and changed up my approach. I use to eat high saturated fats such as salami, beef, butter, and cream, it works to lose weight, but recently found when I switch to full fat yogurt, nuts and avocado as a source of fats, and fresh fish as a source of protein, seems to work better.

I'm now more like 60% fat, 30% protein, and 10% carbs. With my food choices primarily with fish, full fat yogurt, nuts (walnuts almond), avocado, and some oat bran with MCT oil and cinnamon. I think it helps to get keto adapted to switch into this without feeling hungery, perhaps even cycle on and off this so the body can adjust (especially nuts). I have seen improvements in weight loss, drop in glucose reading, and slightly better body fat percentage.
  • djthom2
    djthom2 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I've been following a ketogenic diet off and on for about 7 months. I recently had my annual cholesterol test and it was still under 200 having dropped a few points and my HDL had climbed from 54 to 62. My doctor said that was great.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Hi Tony - nice to make your acquaintance!

I'm also diabetic and I've been ketogenic now for 39 months. I started the diet in December of 2010. It's been amazing. I went from an HbA1c of 12.2% to 7% in the first 3 months. It went to 6% about 3 months after that.

My HbA1c is now regularly in the 4.9% to 5.4% range which is quite NON-diabetic, so the diet helps me control it incredibly well. I've also lost 140lbs along the way - the vast majority in the first year.

The high-fat / low-carb / moderate-protein ketogenic diet is superior for glycemic control to ANY diet you could adopt. I'm glad you took the time to research and make that conclusion!

Good luck!
  • DehydrationStation
    Options
    This thread contains many inaccuracies. Anyone interested in Keto should read this: http://goo.gl/NrGK8

The "standard" keto ratio is 5% carbs, 30% protein, and 65% fat.

Keto is not a "high protein" diet. It is low carb, high fat, moderate protein.

Ketones are not toxic. Anyone who tells you this is misinformed.

Ketoacidosis is not the same as Ketosis.

Recent studies show that, on a cellular level, ketones actually burn "cleaner" than glucose.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/evolutionary-psychiatry/201104/your-brain-ketones
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    I tried low carb diets in the past but they made me feel week and all the fat was terrible for my digestion. To be fair, I don't have a gallbladder (although I did at the time I tried low carb dieting) and my body just can't handle all that fat.

The diet I do now is basically 40-45% lean protein, 35-40% carbs, and 15-20% fat (healthy fats).

Once I get to goal I am going to increase the healthy fats some, but I know that I will ever go back to eating as much fat as I did before (and I thought I ate a pretty small amount of fat till I realized how much I really did eat, although the same is true for sugar). Eating the way I am has really opened my eyes and is helping me develop good long-term ways I can live and stay healthy and fit.

Not having too much sugar is good for you in my opinion, but I think balance is important too, If you have too many unhealthy fats, it can hurt you in the long run low carb diet or not, if you don't have enough vegetables or fiber, that can be bad for you too.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    I'm just gonna throw my 2 cents in on it coming from the opposite side of ketogenic. I did my own research on it and ketones are actually toxic to us as they make the blood slightly more acidic. Also the brain runs on glucose so if the carbs go down then the body has to find a solution to keep the brain alive. It resorts to making ketones, which some of it is used and the rest exit through urine.

The ketosis state is found in people with type 1 diabetes (not through insulin), alcoholics, low carb diets, starvation.

Although some people could argue evolution (people who consume animal products), yes this is true. Because our bodies had to adapt to cold climate when migrating and times of bad crops.

Also when you drop carbs you lose mainly water weight (think body builders right before a show).

Excess glucose and insulin are toxic!

Immediate weight lose - water weight, yes probably.

Long term - body fat.
  • sunnyskys2013
    sunnyskys2013 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    saving for later.
  • itsryanneyo
    itsryanneyo Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm a keto-er. Just finished my 18th day. I've lost 8.5 lbs in these 2 1/2 weeks, and had my 1st cheat day today... I did Adkins back in college with good results, but in the past 10 years of marriage, 2 babies, and owning a successful home bakery, Ive packed on a good 25 lbs, and I still have 16+ left to lose. Being endomorphic, this way of life is all that really works for me. I'm a beach body coach, used shakeology daily for a year, I run 3 miles a day, have completed multiple rounds of insanity and t25, but slowly the pounds crept on. High fat just works for me. Pain and simple. Not to mention how much better mentally and physically I feel. I jumped into ketosis by day 2, and haven't felt flu-ish at all, till today, actually, and I assume that's from the cheat day carbs.
    The bulletproof coffee is my go-to in keeping my fat up... I do 1 tbsp of coconut oil and 2 tbsp heavy whipping cream to a mugs worth of decaf... Cool it off and our it over ice :-9
  • Clueless_in_MN
    Clueless_in_MN Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    :smile: congrats! I've lost 20 pounds since March 4th as well. This isn't a diet but a change of eating for good. Weight loss is only one benefit. My blood sugar and blood pressure have stabilized. My HDL and LDL are improved already! Becoming a fat burner rather than a sugar burner (by feeding myself too many carbs) has changed my energy level, my mental clarity and my appetite! I don't crave carbs anymore and am never hungry. I no longer have gas, icky tummy, heartburn etc. I feel amazing!