Need gluten free, vegetarian friendly recipes

Options
I gave up meat almost six years ago. My mother said this won't help with weight loss, but frankly I'm scarred for life after we were shown a documentary in school about what really happens in slaughterhouses. Basically, I'm not giving up a vegetarian lifestyle because whenever I see a hamburger, I think about that godforsaken documentary.

I also was diagnosed with celiac disease last year in July. That means absolutely nothing with gluten in it. So, unless it is specially made, I cannot have any form of bread, pastry, or pasta.

Yes, I'm still living at home -- until September. My dad has a seasonal job that began last week and if we wait for him and my mom to come home from work, we won't be eating supper until nine o'clock at night. So, making dinner has become my responsibility. I totally understand now why my parents usually have me fend for myself when it comes to dinner, because trying to find gluten free, vegetarian friendly meals that taste good and are good for you is a huge challenge -- especially considering how much my dad loves meat and my mom loves pasta.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• sami_83
    sami_83 Posts: 161
    Options
    I'm vegetarian for ethical reasons too, so I understand :smile:

I make a rad vegan lasagne, but sometime I don't have pasta sheets so I mix in some gnocchi instead. There's possibly gluten-free gnocchi or lasagne sheets out there, but I am not gluten-free so can't advise, I'm sorry :(

But anyway, if you're interested, the sauce part of it is pretty versatile and really really yummy. It's essentially bolognaise sauce but vego-d.
    Ingredients:
    -garlic (as much as you prefer- I go overboard and use 6 cloves or more because I love it)
    -mushrooms
    -1x diced chilli
    -2x tins of lentils
    -2x tins of diced tomatoes
    -basil/any other Italian herbs (whatever floats your goat, as they say)
    -a splosh of red wine (optional)

Basically just fry your mushies, chilli and garlic in a bit of oil- I use cocounut, but whatever you prefer. When they're soft just chuck in all the other ingredients and simmer away until the lentils are softened and cooked through. If it dries out just add some water.
    I usually add in a few massive handfuls of baby spinach at the end too. But it's really customisable, you could add things like capsicum, zucchini, onion, olives or whatever other vegies you're a fan of.
    If I am making it into a lasagne I make a bechamel with a bit of olive oil spread, some flour (gluten-free varieties should work just fine, it's just for thickening after all. Maybe arrowroot powder?) and some soy milk. I layer it all, finishing with the bechamel, and a decent sprinkling of nutritional yeast. If I'm using gnocchi it's essentially the same method but without bechamel. Sometimes I add cheese if I am feeling like it. Put it all in a casserole dish and chuck it in the oven until done.
    You could also just use it as regular bolognaise and have it with spaghetti.

I'm so sorry I don't have measurements, I just make things up as I go along, I'm not very good at following instructions! But hopefully that helps, as it's pretty good for you, very filling and comforting, keeps well for leftovers and is really easy to make :drinker:

Ooh, I just remembered another of my favourite recipes: http://www.theppk.com/2011/10/mushroom-hot-pot/
    If you like asian flavours (and mushrooms!) you'll love it. I have it on high rotation. You could make a batch and everyone can add whatever they like to it- your folks can just throw some chicken in there, you know?

:flowerforyou:
  • Satiable
    Satiable Posts: 121
    Options
    Gluten-free, healthy vegetarian is hard! My family has a range of requirements (low-carb GF meat eater, moderate-calorie vegetarian, high-calorie meat eater). It's easiest if I choose foods that can be served flexibly. For example, start with a vegetarian salad or stir-fry then add a diced omelette to the veg'n plate, meat to the carnivore plates, and rice/pasta/starch for anyone who needs extra energy.

A couple of healthy vegetarian recipes that we all love are:

Baked mushrooms stuffed with spinach and tomato
    http://www.mygourmetconnection.com/recipes/appetizers/spinach-sun-dried-tomato-stuffed-mushrooms.php

Oven roasted broccoli
    http://www.amateurgourmet.com/2008/11/the_best_brocco.html

This site has some excellent ideas.
    http://www.wheatfreemeatfree.com/all-my-recipes/
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of lentils for protein. One cup has 18 g protein or the protein of 3 eggs. They don't require soaking, but I add extra water and cook until soft, then stir-fry a cup with a little olive oil, other vegetables like sliced onion, tomato, and snow peas, with some seasoning like McCormick's Perfect Pinch line (I like the original and the Mexican). The shell or coating of beans is hard to digest because we lack an enzyme and can upset your stomach, so cooking until soft solves that problem. There is no gluten in lentils or brown rice. A meal with lentils, brown rice, and vegetables, with a little seasoning, is easy, nutritious and inexpensive.
  • mals30
    mals30 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I also am vegetarian (vegan whenever possible) and avoid gluten. Gluten triggers my digestive disorder so I avoid it whenever possible. If you use pinterest, I have a few boards dedicated to strictly gluten free/vegetarian/vegan food options!

Here's the link...hope it helps!
    http://www.pinterest.com/mals30/gluten-free-vegan-dinners/
  • butterflyrae2010
    butterflyrae2010 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I just recently have been trying recipes with spaghetti squash. I had never cooked or tried this amazing vegetable, but now I am hooked on it. You can put so many things on it. I don't like anything with red sauce so I tried putting half of a small jar of lite alfredo sauce diluted with milk, mushrooms, green pepper and ground turkey. (you could leave out the turkey). I sprinkled a little parmesaen cheese on top. One whole spaghetti squash (3lb) made about 6 meals for me. I just stick the squash in a big pan of water and boil it until its done. When it's done you cut it in half and pull all the squash out of the skin. This is nothing new, but it sure was to me.
    Good luck
  • To those of you who say that gluten free, vegetarian friendly is hard... Also factor in the fact that I'm a type one diabetic. Even harder!
  • chelesucre
    chelesucre Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Do not despair. There is such a thing as CORN PASTA. I live on it, and have lost weight. Also, potatoes, rice (if you can eat it, I can't), are very versatile and readily available. Soya cheese, cheese slices and tofu are handy as well, and quite filling (if you can eat soya, I can only have a small amount or I it makes me ill). Typical meal you can make, easily, is a jacket potato or corn pasta, Broccoli, carrots, baby sweetcorn, etc (any veg), soya cheese, sauces i.e. sweet chilli sauce, hot pepper sauce or even Plamil egg free mayonnaise. Do you eat fish? If not, then there are quorn products to make tasty meat alternative meals. Just jazz everything up with tasty sauces and spices like tandoori masala. Hope something in this helps. :happy:
  • SergeantNarwhal
    SergeantNarwhal Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    No fear! I've eaten gluten free vegetarian for about 7 years. I just recently transition into pescatarian because I am training a lot and felt like I needed the protein. It has been a fantastic decision or me, but I still struggle to find ethical seafood that I feel good about eating.

I've found that a lot of Asian cuisines lends themselves well to these restrictions. For example Thai, Indian and Vietnamese. Here's a really yummy pad thai recipe http://www.theconsciouskitchen.com/2012/09/pad-thai-noodles-vegan-and-gluten-free/. This site has lots of good options.

Indian curries are great to make too because you can make them with tons of veggies, spices for extra flavor and serve them over brown rice which is so filling. Light Vietnamese soups like vegetarian Pho are also a great option because you can make them in big batches and just add what you want on different days.

Best of luck to you. Feel free to 'friend' me if you want to snoop my diary - I don't mind :)
  • jellybeanhed313
    jellybeanhed313 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Bump for ideas
  • Shanz78
    Shanz78 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/09/06/no-flour-black-bean-brownies/

This is a recipe for gluten free, vegan brownies. I made them the other day and my sons and there friends ate all of them because they were so good and after they were all gone i asked them if they could tell they were actually healthy and they said no they were really good.

Also i would say check out pinterest for any kind of recipe, its a great data base and its where i get most of my recipes.

good luck:)
  • aNewYear123
    aNewYear123 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Sounds like my family when we have a family celebration - "No meat, No wheat" - it can be a challenge.

There are always things like eggplant parm, or spaghetti squash. We eat a lot of rice or gluten free pasta. Rice salad is really good (here is one example - http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/melissa-darabian/cold-rice-salad-recipe.html) Some of the quinoa noodles are good and that kicks up your protein as well. Tacos/burritos with re-fried beans on corn tortillas.

Garden burgers (frozen) or portabella mushrooms can be good on the grill instead of a hamburger.

Are you willing to eat seafood or has that gone the way of the burger? If so that would open up a large number of options; any type of fish for the main course, shrimp curry, etc.

I don't know how long you have been wheat free, but celiac.org has some interesting recipes as well.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Here's just a few ideas:

Beans and rice - you could do red beans with Cajun seasonings or black beans with Mexican seasonings (and sour cream and cheese and salsa, even corn, if you like). Fill it out with a bunch of bell peppers and onions or whatever veg sounds good. Omnivores can add smoked sausage or chicken/steak but it should be plenty filling for a veg.

Quinoa salads - I know, quinoa is like the totally trendy thing. Whatever. I love it and it's very versatile. Today for lunch I have a salad of quinoa, asparagus, crumbled goat cheese, kalamata olives, and olive oil and lemon juice. You can also do a southwest theme (black beans, fajita-style seasonings, peppers), or make tabbouleh with quinoa instead of wheat berries, or just basically throw in anything.

Stir fry - tons of veggies, sauce, rice on the side, and then each person can add meat or not. Throw in tofu or edamame for extra protein.

You can do a lot of Mexican dishes with corn tortillas and cheese/veggies/beans. Fajitas, enchiladas, etc.

Italian can also be easy to do vegetarian; you can serve spaghetti squash as a side and then yourself use it instead of pasta, or try zucchini and/or eggplant in a meatless lasagna instead of noodles. Also, I've tried rice pasta several times, and it's really not half bad.
  • chocolateandbutterscotch
    Options
    I am not a vegetarian......sorry.....however I made this yummy salad today

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2013/04/fiesta-bean-salad.html
  • Are you willing to eat seafood or has that gone the way of the burger? If so that would open up a large number of options; any type of fish for the main course, shrimp curry, etc.

I don't know how long you have been wheat free, but celiac.org has some interesting recipes as well.

While it's not out of the question, I've never liked the taste of fish. I thought I was allergic to that, too, because when I was younger and ate it, it made me throw up. As we found out when I was eleven (a little ways before I went vegetarian), it turns out I just didn't like the taste. :)

I've been gluten free since July 7 of last year. The only reason I remember this date is because it was my mom's birthday. I had been experiencing symptoms at that point for about a month and had been tested a few days before for celiac disease. Tests came back positive.