Lifting for Women

Options
Hi,
So I keep reading all this success stories that involve lifting.

Now, for the life of me, I have never gone to that section of my gym and well, first, I don't have the knowledge for lifting, second, I don't have the courage --It feels like that section is so male dominated that I'm even scared of entering it :(

Also I don't know any other girls around me who go to lifting room and I'm pretty shy too!

So I was wondering how did you start doing it? Did you have these feelings too? Should I just buy some weights and practice at home? Is it even doable without equipments?

Any advice appreciated!

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    I don't have the courage --It feels like that section is so male dominated that I'm even scared of entering it :(

You don't have any brothers, do you. :bigsmile:

Read the very first topic in this forum, "I am the woman in the freeweights section of the gym".
  • mojgan12345
    Options
    Nope, I mean I do but he lives in a different country!
    Thanks for the pointer :)
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Bump.....will read after I get home later
  • brookemart81
    brookemart81 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    At my gym there's a section with the free weights type stuff and an area along side it with all the weight machines. I am super intimidated by the free weights and wouldn't know where to begin with those, but the weight machines are awesome. I'm pretty new to this so I don't know if there's a difference in effectiveness or anything between the two. The free weight area is basically all dudes, but it's much more diverse on the machines- lots of women, older people, etc. When I joined they walked me through setup on a half a dozen of them, so I have a nice little circuit I can do when I go. If you have machines like that at your gym it might be worthwhile to ask someone to walk you though everything- even if you have to pay for a personal trainer session to get it.
  • mojgan12345
    Options
    At my gym there's a section with the free weights type stuff and an area along side it with all the weight machines. I am super intimidated by the free weights and wouldn't know where to begin with those, but the weight machines are awesome. I'm pretty new to this so I don't know if there's a difference in effectiveness or anything between the two. The free weight area is basically all dudes, but it's much more diverse on the machines- lots of women, older people, etc. When I joined they walked me through setup on a half a dozen of them, so I have a nice little circuit I can do when I go. If you have machines like that at your gym it might be worthwhile to ask someone to walk you though everything- even if you have to pay for a personal trainer session to get it.

Yes, actually you made me realize that the two are separate in my gym too, this is a good idea :) Thanks!
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I used to feel like that so I booked a program with a trainer so that I went in there with a plan. Now the weights section is just a part of my routine. If you can make yourself look like you know what you're doing no-one will bat an eyelid.

The only people I notice in the weights section are the ones who literally don't have a clue, they don't know how to work the clips and the moves they're pulling I'm pretty sure they made them up. It's not that they look stupid but weights can be dangerous and cause injuries if they're used wrong. Don't be afraid to ask someone for help.
  • MissB46
    MissB46 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    book a session with a trainer to show you the ropes and then get yer butt in the weights section....I get such a buzz from lifting and my body is becoming rock hard .....
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options

Yes, actually you made me realize that the two are separate in my gym too, this is a good idea :) Thanks!

Sorry but no.
    All these success stories you read about amazing looking women, they are not using machines!
    Machines are only half (or less) as affective as free weights!
    The women you talk about go to the section of the gym with the guys. So do I.

I was intimidated as hell! But here are a few ideas in case you don't want to get a pt (although that's the easiest as he will go with you and show you how it's done properly so you are not alone and will do it right)

1. Have a plan (look into the new rules of lifting for women, Jamie eason's life fit or Stronglifts and read all about your chosen program so you know what you want to do before you go on)

2.scan youtube for proper form. Look up all the exercises you want to do and maybe even have a dry run with a broomstick at home. Again knowing what you are doing will help. You could also ask a trainer to look at the most difficult ones.

3. Man up. First time is hard!! I hated doing it. But it's like pulling off a plaster. Just do it, it won't get easier when you wait.

4. Make yourself more comfortable. Wear the shorts you feel best in at the gym. Get some music on the go. Whatever helps

And most importantly, re-rack your weights when you are done!! Will help your next visit :wink:
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I literally just watched what other people were doing on the machines. I got shown some of them on my gym induction. I built up my strength on those machines for about a year until just moving gyms now.

My new gym is about 5 x the size, and has a main weights room with machines and stuff, then two other rooms with free weight stacks, but there are free weights by the mirrors etc. I just watched what the muscly men did, picked a weight I thought I could handle and started from there. You can go on Youtube too and watch people to get the form correct.

I like being the only girl in the weight room :wink: :laugh:
  • brookemart81
    brookemart81 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Good to know! I figured there was probably a difference (unless it was just that old ladies and such did it so it wasn't "manly" enough for the muscle guys, but that couldn't be the ONLY reason.)

Do you think there's a value to starting out on machines to get comfortable with the idea of weight training and learn how to do things, and then "graduating" to free weights? Or is it a waste of time? I would like to learn how to use the free weights at some point but for now I consider myself a beginner and I like the feedback I get from the machines (it beeps if I go too fast, it's counting my reps for me and remembering how much I did last time, that kind of thing.)
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Good to know! I figured there was probably a difference (unless it was just that old ladies and such did it so it wasn't "manly" enough for the muscle guys, but that couldn't be the ONLY reason.)

Do you think there's a value to starting out on machines to get comfortable with the idea of weight training and learn how to do things, and then "graduating" to free weights? Or is it a waste of time? I would like to learn how to use the free weights at some point but for now I consider myself a beginner and I like the feedback I get from the machines (it beeps if I go too fast, it's counting my reps for me and remembering how much I did last time, that kind of thing.)
    I do think it's a waste of time to be honest...

Machines force you into unnatural movements so you don't really learn that much for the free weights.

Worst of all though it takes all the stabilising muscles out of the workout. So you use less muscles with each workout. Makes more sense to spend half the time with free weights but use double the amount of muscles.
    But yes form is important. Either get a pt or familiarise yourself with the moves on YouTube.
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    I was and still am scared ****less to lift in the gym. I just suck it up, find a rack, and start my squats. It has gotten better but I'm still nervous. I generally go at quiet hours (5am) which helps. Good luck OP.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options

Sorry but no.
    All these success stories you read about amazing looking women, they are not using machines!
    Machines are only half (or less) as affective as free weights!
    The women you talk about go to the section of the gym with the guys. So do I.

I was intimidated as hell! But here are a few ideas in case you don't want to get a pt (although that's the easiest as he will go with you and show you how it's done properly so you are not alone and will do it right)

1. Have a plan (look into the new rules of lifting for women, Jamie eason's life fit or Stronglifts and read all about your chosen program so you know what you want to do before you go on)

2.scan youtube for proper form. Look up all the exercises you want to do and maybe even have a dry run with a broomstick at home. Again knowing what you are doing will help. You could also ask a trainer to look at the most difficult ones.

3. Man up. First time is hard!! I hated doing it. But it's like pulling off a plaster. Just do it, it won't get easier when you wait.

4. Make yourself more comfortable. Wear the shorts you feel best in at the gym. Get some music on the go. Whatever helps

And most importantly, re-rack your weights when you are done!! Will help your next visit :wink:

All of this as well as

- Make a plan so you know what exercises you are going to do, look up form in advance, enter weight room, execute plan
    - It helps if you go at a non-peak time to begin with so you don't have to contend with a super busy gym
    - If you're feeling really intimidated, start with just one exercise (maybe a squat for example). Aim to learn and try one exercise at a time.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I joined some classes at the gym. A body pump class using weights (as heavy as you can lift) and then also a body weight/strength band workout class. I found these were great for learning how to do the exercises and made me initially really push myself to complete the class (no-one wants to be the girl that keels over). It taught me good form (which is important with weights). I now have the confidence to do strength at home, I use an app called 'You are your own gym' which is great and have some dumbbells (or rather, the other half does) which I use replicating some of the moves from class.

I have also had a gym induction and a programme designed just using weights. The only machines involved are a leg press and the rower (just for warming up).

The classes were key for me really getting into this type of exercise. I have always been far too into cardio and I just looked a bit stringy! :)
  • BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    This stickied thread is an awesome post chock full of helpful tips on how to get started with lifting as a woman:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1169757-i-am-the-woman-in-the-freeweights-section-of-the-gym
  • AddingSparkle
    Options
    I felt exactly the same! I booked a series of sessions with a PT at the gym but he stuck to similar exercises and then bailed, because he decided he didn't want to be a PT anymore! That was enough to give me some confidence and now I go and have a read on bodybuilding.com under their muscle groups to get a few more exercises for whatever body part I'm focusing on. They have videos and written instructions, then if I need to, I'll YouTube a move to see it done by other people, then I'll incorporate it in my workout.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Buy the book New Rules of Lifting for Women. Read it and start.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Buy the book New Rules of Lifting for Women. Read it and start.

Join http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/102-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w and come to the Daily Chat Thread
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Just do it.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    Just do it.

This. I just went in there and did it. For a while, I was the only woman in there. In the last few weeks, there's been a few more. Sometimes, I'm still the only woman in there with a few guys, but they respect me and I respect them.