C25K really works!

Options
I started working out and eating right on February 19 this year, starting at 228 lbs - which is technically around 68 lbs overweight for my body. I struggled with getting into a proper work out routine since i was pretty heavy and on top of that, have flat feet. I didn't really have access to any elliptical or stationary bike machines since my school's gym has a limited amount of these. I decided to try out the C25k program after about 2 weeks of just walking at an incline, and i struggled with week one more than i thought I would. The program starts off slow and gradually increases the amount you have to run each week, something that deeply scared me since I could never even run more than a minute and a half without having to stop for a breather. I stuck with it, and right now I currently just finished week 5 (day 3) of the program, which is a five minute brisk walk and then a 20 minute jog with NO breaks. I completed it with almost no pain or struggles, and for the first time in my entire life I was able to run a mile (1.8 miles to be exact) without stopping. I couldn't believe the progress that I made in just FIVE quick weeks. Not only has the program increased my running capabilities- but it is a GREAT work out for beginners (include weight training as well). Following this program, I've been able to lose 15 lbs in 1.5 months, bringing me closer to my goal weight faster than i thought I'd be getting there.

I STRONGLY recommend this program to anyone who has thought about starting it, it really works.

Replies

• Lola2248
    Lola2248 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    That's great! And inspirational for those of us about to start it!
    Well done. Any advice - or just do it?
  • Jenky85
    Jenky85 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I finished the programme last night!! Cannot believe I can now run 5k without stopping. Love it!! Glad it's working for you too :)
  • FabianRodriguez94
    FabianRodriguez94 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    That's great! And inspirational for those of us about to start it!
    Well done. Any advice - or just do it?

Definitely find shoes that are perfect for you. I tried the first 2 weeks with some Nikes I had from like 2 years back and they killed my shins and my knees. I went to a running store, Fleet Feet Sports, and they measured my feet and watched how i walked/ran to help me pick out shoes perfect for me (especially since finding shoes with flat feet is much harder). After getting the new shoes, running got waaaay easier. So definitely invest in the perfect pair of shoes, Good luck :)
  • nataliea683
    nataliea683 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    i'm on week 2 day 2 tonight after work! i NEVER thought i'd say it but i actually enjoy running! i have been on and off here for a few months now without exercise so i'm hoping that doing C25K and watching what i eat will help me lose my baby weight eventually (my baby is 3 yrs old now)!

plus theres a couple of girls that i work with who are wanting to lose weight to so we have created our own slimming group putting 50p a week into a jar and every 4 weeks we will see who has lost the most weight and the winner gets the money from the jar so that is a little bit of incentive plus the competition makes it a bit more fun!

good luck to everyone on your journey
    xx:flowerforyou:
  • MayaDyra
    MayaDyra Posts: 90
    Options
    I'm glad it works for You, doesn't work for me though. Within a few days I was able to run 20 minutes a day but my weight is exactly the same. I w ill never lose weight. God doesn't allow me to lose weight and nothing I can do can change that.