How to keep running?

Options
I have trouble running continuously for a half hour. I try to do intervals of 5min walking then 5min running but Its so hard and after a few times, the 5min of running turns into faster walking. I feel like running is my hardest obstacle so far. How do you force yourself to keep running? how do you maintain a speed without walking?

Replies

• cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    If you are new to running, change the ratio of run to walk. Instead of 5 minutes of running, try a shorter span, like 3 minutes. If you want to try to keep it 50/50 just do 3 min walk/3 min run. Or do 3 min run/5 min walk. There is no "set" ratio that works for everyone or that people want to do.

Part of running is mental too. If you go into it believing you are going to struggle your third 5 minute running interval, you will. If you try to hold on to it and you are physically ready to, you need your mind to be on the same page as your body!

gradually increase running and decrease walking once you find what you can do now
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Are you aerobically capable of a 30 minute run? If not, or if unknown, you should build yourself up to that point before getting annoyed at not being able to do it. Start slow and gradual, the results will come soon. Focus on your effort rather than maintaining a speed.
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I do my pace training on a treadmill to give me a feel for the stride and tempo I need to maintain a given pace. If I'm out on the road with a pace in mind I have my tracker give me my current pace every minute or so to keep me on course.

The only way to 'force yourself to keep running' is to just keep running. There's not really anything more to it.
  • Amberlynnek
    Amberlynnek Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Check of the C25k program, this will help you build your ability. Do a quick mental check and determine if the reason why you cannot continue running is mental or physical. Be sure to push yourself through the hard time. Don't pace too hard right off the start either and run to music. Music helps you forget your surroundings and what you're doing. Also, if you're on a treadmill - get off of it and get outside. Enjoy the scenery, you might not even notice that you are running anymore.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I have not done it personally, but the consensus around the forums for new runners is to try the C25K app. Most people approve.
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    1 - slow down. if you physically (vs mentally) can't keep running after 5 minutes, you are going too fast. everyone has different paces when they first start running. some people start at a 15 minute mile pace, others start at a 10 minute mile pace. Don't worry about pace to start with...your pace will naturally get faster as you get more miles under you :)

2 - gradually extend how long you run vs how long you walk. ie start running for 3 mins, then walk for 3 minutes, and repeat X times. Then the next time out (2-3 days later), go for 3:15 mins at X pace, then walk for 2:45...etc. there are various C25K programs out there that will take you from running short intervals to running 30 minutes continuously.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Running is hard. When I started I could barely get around the block without feeling like I was dying....

Gradually build up your distances and aerobic capacity, most of your running should be at a speed at which you can speak in whole sentences - if you're gasping for breath slow down. I started off with 1 min "running" (more like fat old guy shuffling) with 9 min walking, then 2 min running with 8 min walking and so on until I could do 10 minutes of continuous running and then gradually added time. I'll be running my 7th half marathon in about 7 weeks and plan on a full marathon in October.

Be patient......don't try to do too much, too soon, too fast.
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    You may try researching running shoes. I was able to significantly increase my mileage (less than one mile to nearly six in as many weeks) when I got the right shoes and insoles. Try a reputable running store or seek out a podorthist. They can fit your for the right shoes and/or insole.

http://www.runnersworld.com/shoe-finder/shoe-advisor
  • parker313_99
    parker313_99 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with taking walking breaks during running. I have done countless 5Ks, a couple 10 Milers and a half marathon, with another 10 miler and half marathon over the next month. I take walk breaks.

I find that when I run, I have a pace I am comfortable running...only I can't sustain it for a ten mile run. So, I take walk breaks. I've found that I am a more successful runner when I run at my comfortable pace with walk breaks rather than try to run slower but run the whole time.

I'm sure I could build my endurance up to run the whole time and maybe someday I'll get there, but it's not important.
  • timmemin
    timmemin Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I got roped into helping coach a girl's on the run group at a middle school I used to teach at. It was the best motivation for me. Seeing an 11 year old lap you is amazingly effective. I know that those groups are always looking for volunteers. Maybe see if there are any in your area?
  • MagJam2004
    MagJam2004 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    two things...

First is when I'm coming down the last long stretch of road before the turn to my house. This closes out the 2 mile mark. I picture the street lined with people cheering me on. My brother is right behind me, warning me when my form falls, or giving me encouragement. I picture some of the folks from my FL mixed in the crowd and calling out what I imagine they would say. Before I know it, I've covered the last stretch and turn the corner. Helps a lot.

Second is when I get a stitch or I just get tired and want to stop. I imagine a blank empty room with a fire burning inside. Then you concentrate on the flame and make it smaller. It gets brighter and hotter as it condenses, but don't lose control of it.

These are how I keep running. Maintaining speed is a different beast as I usually want to come out of the gate like a racehorse, but will hit a wall shortly after if I do. Got to set a maintainable pace on the outset, even if it feels slow. By the end, you'll thank yourself for not killing your endurance on the first block.
  • thomaszabel
    thomaszabel Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I started out like you. My suggestion is to find a local high school track. Each lap is a quarter mile. My first day of getting into running was: 1 lap walk, 1 lap jog, 1 lap walk, 1 lap jog, 1 lap walk, 1 lap jog, 1 lap walk, 1 lap jog, 1 lap walk. Total of 1 mile jogging, and 1.25 miles walking. Even though I was able to do it with little problem, I kept that same setup for the rest of the week, and did it 4 times a week. Then the next week, I changed the jogs into 2 laps instead of 1 lap, but kept the walks the same. The next week, I added in another 2-lap jog and 1-lap walk. Then the next week I switched the 2-lap jogs into 3 laps each. Etc. etc.

If you don't have easy access to a track, you can run anywhere outside, and download a free GPS-based running app on your smart phone, such as Nike+, Endomondo, MapMyRun, Runtastic, etc., and you can set it to tell you every time you hit a quarter mile mark so you know when to jog and when to walk. Or you can do the same thing, but on a treadmill at a gym.

Eventually I started cutting out the in-between walks one at a time, though I sometimes decreased the running distance a bit on the weeks I did that. On rainy or cold weather days, I did the same thing, but on a treadmill at my gym.

It is very important that you get in 2-3 rest days in between your workout days, so that your body has sufficient recover time.

Bottom line is it took me about 5 months to get to where I am, but I'm now running between 7-8 miles straight with a local running club 4 times per week, and training for a marathon at the end of this year.

I didn't do it all at once. I took it by starting easy and increasing by little steps. When I started, I was 190 pounds, and it was definitely harder, since I was out of shape, and carrying around too much extra weight. I had to be careful and wear knee support to keep me from being in pain. Now I'm 160, which is pretty much perfect for my height according to BMI calculations. And because of my exercise and weight loss, I don't need any extra knee support, and could probably run a half marathon (at a slow pace) without too much of a problem.

Good luck. Take it in baby steps, and you can do it.
  • TheWatchStander
    Options
    One thing I did was began paying close attention to what bothered me while I was running. Even the smallest things. For example I used to have an issue with my shorts riding up and chaffing. I bagan to eliminate each thing I found that irritated me. I baught compression shorts, had a professional gait test and baught proper shoes, experimented with different fabrics for my shirt. Eventually I eliminated all the things that bothered me and all that was left was my bodys response to the challenge. For that kept telling myself to just put one foot in front of the other. After a few weeks things turned around and I really began to enjoy my runs. And as any new issues presented themselves I would eliminate them as quickly as possible.
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Slow your running pace down, and speed your walking pace up. There doesn't need to be a huge difference between the two especially when you are starting out.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Running is hard

Running is not fun

Running sucks

patience is the answer
    perseverance is the answer

realize there is no one to beat but yourself. You are not racing anyone, You are not trying to outdo anyone. It is ok to walk for a minute.

I plug in my headphones and run until it hurts.
    I've been at it for 7 months and i still can;t get under 30 minutes for a 5K. (I'm at about 40 minutes, that last mile is the tough one!) I can however*finally* run the whole thing.
    I realized I *HATE* the treadmill *with a passion*. I last longer outside running down a hilly trail or around a lake, even though it is harder and I go slower.

Some days I can run 5 miles without stopping. Some days I have to walk for a minute after 2.

Start off at a pace you are comfortable with and stay at that until you can run the entire distance without stopping, then increase distance *or* speed.

I track my runs with runtastic. But there are a lot of aps out there. It's motivating to me hearing how long it took me to run a mile, esp when I can do 2 consecutive ones in the same time or 2nd one faster then the first. Plus it keeps a real good record of your run. It helps some people to have friend to run with. You might try that. I like to run alone, but some of my friends need someone with them or they don't push themselves.
  • MagJam2004
    Options
    Running is KIND OF fun...

Running doesn't always suck...

If you aren't having a good time, and you aren't preparing for some kind of race or event, maybe stick to weight training and skip the cardio? You will still be able to tone down, protect your lean muscle, and have a stronger body.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Running is necessary if I want to play the sports I do. I need to do it.
    I also think running is one of the best exercises you can do for health
    so there's that reason too.

Plus, i feel amazing when I stop running and know I have done whatever distance I was aiming for. :)
    So there is that too
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    i just think of random thoughts while running. before I know it It's over. it's my time to let go, not think about problems I am having or bills or mortgage. just an hour to just a little over an hour to think of random stuff like, what do birds think about? do they think they need exercise? what do wild rabbits do all day long? Do they just hop around being cute, do they know people are watching them so they have to be cute all the time?
  • MagJam2004
    Options
    Plus, i feel amazing when I stop running and know I have done whatever distance I was aiming for. :)
    So there is that too

I love that feeling
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Don't only do one speed of running. Try shortening your running intervals, but upping the speed during them. That takes a lot of the mental toughness out of it b/c you only have to slog it out for a minutes. After you get used to shorter but more intense intervals, the slower longer running intervals will start to feel easy.