Under-active Thyroid.. Help.

Options
Recently I had a severe kidney infection and just before that a chest infection. These two things led me to the Doctors who ordered blood tests.
This last weekend I went in to get the results.
I am 25 years old
115 kilos
164 cm Tall

Have been overweight since early teens. Lost 30 kilos a few years ago. Cannot shift weight now.
When I was 17 I had blood tests done in SA. I was told that everything was fine. No need to worry.

This last weekend I got the results back. Sugar levels are normal, cholesterol levels are normal, kidney is fine...
Extremely under-active Thyroid.
Prescribed 25mg of Levothyroxin every day for the rest of my life?!?!

I'm panicking a bit here. Anyone gone through this or have any advice?

Thank you

Replies

• ninav1980
    ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Its no big deal. I've been taking Levothyroxin since 2005 (I was 25 also). Its a tiny small pill that you take right when you wake up. Its not like birth control where you get screwed up if you miss a day (although dont do this often).

Levothyroxin regulates the thryroid making it perform just like a healthy thryoid. So this will not affect your weight (so long as you are taking the right dosage) You will be monitored for a while until the doc can confirm your levels are ok with the dosage and adjust as needed. I still get my levels tested but only every 6 months
  • adaybetter
    adaybetter Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    25 mcg is not a extreme dose so your thyroid cant be to bad. Levothyroxine ( T4 ) is mostly prescribed in 100mcg to 200mcg.

Just remember to take your pills and everything will be fine. Yes this will be a life time thing but its not that bad. 1 pill a day. Easy

once your levels are normal you will lose weight much easier

There are some natural ways to up your levels. Google or ask your doctor. Since your not on a lot of t4, this might be an option
  • TashTag
    TashTag Posts: 109
    Options
    Thanks...

I've been reading a lot of sites and people have been complaining of extreme weight gain, acne, head aches and so on.
    I'm so paranoid. I know it says no major side effects. Just a bit concerned. Nice to know its not so bad.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I was started at 50 mcg, so 25 is not so bad. I was having memory and mood problems that I never attributed to my thyroid. It is not a miracle weight loss cure though. It stabilizes you so you can live a more normal life. Look in the groups section for more info.
  • msthang444
    msthang444 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    yeah, it's pretty common as I understand it. I too was diagnosed and medicated this year.
    This is a support group I found on here if it helps.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/753-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism
  • Nadoriel
    Nadoriel Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    It's perfectly fine. I have hypothiroidism since 19... I'm now on 50mcg and I still feel sleepy most of the time, so I guess that will increase overtime. My mum has it as well for years now, and although she was ultra skinny before, she's just overweight now. I gained 10kg on the first months, and 10kg more until last year. I tried several diets and I'd never loose besides 69kg, I thought it was impossible. Until now. It's just a matter of planing your workouts and food and taking the tablets.
  • gagnon9691
    gagnon9691 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    It doesn't sound too bad. My son was diagnosed at 6 and started on 50mcg. The doctor was shocked that he even had any energy to move because she said his level were so off.
  • runner359
    runner359 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Ditto. Its no big deal. Small pill fixes problem. Been on it for a few years. Its nothing.
  • TashTag
    Options
    Ditto. Its no big deal. Small pill fixes problem. Been on it for a few years. Its nothing.

So no giant acne issues, or migranes or extreme weight gain?
    Seen so many 'horror' stories today.
  • msthang444
    msthang444 Posts: 491 Member
    Options

So no giant acne issues, or migranes or extreme weight gain?
    Seen so many 'horror' stories today.

Horror stories are exactly that. side effects are few and far between. The symptoms without meds far exceed the side effects of being on meds (which I haven't noticed ANY side effects).
  • TashTag
    Options
    Thank you, starting to put my mind at ease.
  • FoxWilkinson
    FoxWilkinson Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed at 21, and I'll be 25 in 3 weeks. I'm on 75mg of Synthroid a day, and it's not too bad. Of all the meds that people have to take on a daily basis, thyroid meds are ok.

I found the book, "The Thyroid Diet" really helpful, and I reference it a few times a week. It's got everything from how to handle the regular symptoms to figuring out how fast your metabolism is. it also talks about what to add to you diet to help the thyroid along, I now take a kelp supplement once a day also for the extra iodine. :) Might be helpful for you as well

Just remember there's a lot of other meds that you could get stuck one for the rest of your life, a little thyroid pill is nothing. And I actually found that with healthy choices and exercise, I've started loosing weight again. The 75mg is my right spot! :P
  • TashTag
    Options
    I was diagnosed at 21, and I'll be 25 in 3 weeks. I'm on 75mg of Synthroid a day, and it's not too bad. Of all the meds that people have to take on a daily basis, thyroid meds are ok.

I found the book, "The Thyroid Diet" really helpful, and I reference it a few times a week. It's got everything from how to handle the regular symptoms to figuring out how fast your metabolism is. it also talks about what to add to you diet to help the thyroid along, I now take a kelp supplement once a day also for the extra iodine. :) Might be helpful for you as well

Just remember there's a lot of other meds that you could get stuck one for the rest of your life, a little thyroid pill is nothing. And I actually found that with healthy choices and exercise, I've started loosing weight again. The 75mg is my right spot! :P

Wow thank you! So glad it's not alllll bad news. Congrats and thank you x